NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Navigation, Enform and voice question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-17, 06:55 PM
nadler1ny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation, Enform and voice question

I just test drove a 2018 NX300 and have a question about the navigation and enform app. I'm presently driving a ES300h and voice activation is terrible. In 3 years I hardly used it because it really doesn't work well. The navigation system is fine except for Sirius traffic. I cancelled my Sirius traffic after a year because it lacked coverage (and/or up to date traffic coverage) on many major roads in my area. I use google maps on my cell phone instead. Enform for Pandora and Iheartradio many times will not connect. I get "system busy" often. It's very frustrating. I've used several of the latest phones and get the same results on all of them.

While Lexus says they have improved all these features, what is your experience on your 2018 NX. For those of you who had earlier Lexus models, do you see any difference?

Before I pull the trigger I want to be better informed about these items.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-17, 09:18 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Navigation Traffic information and Weather Channel are now provided (for free!) through
the HD radio network rather than XM. 3x more coverage, 2x more frequent refresh and
the Weather Channel includes a scalable map! Tuning to an HD AM or FM station will keep
the updates coming in. Do you get and listen to any HD stations in your ESh? If you do
intend to renew a subscription to XM be sure to clarify that you do NOT need Nav/Weather.

Your experience with Lexus Enform App Suite notwithstanding, it does provide the best
connection between your car and phone. Keep is running in the background, be sure the
streaming music apps are correctly registered in LEAS and last but not least...be sure that
Pandora and/or iHeart are NOT running on your phone. Counter intuitively as it seems,
if the app is running on the phone the phone is controlling it, when the app is not running
then LEAS can control it on screen.

The Navigation benefits of the App Suite are far more useful than the music features.
You can investigate destinations, call ahead and save to your phone up to ten (10) sites
at a time and when you start the car you just open Nav and respond yes to the dialog
screen asking if you wish to Synchronize. Bam - all points move over without typing or
talking. When the map screen is displayed, pressing "talk" uses the cars voice recognition
and data. Try pressing the console "Menu" and then "App Suite". 2014's had a screen
talk button, later Lexi just use the steering wheel talk button and you are then talking to
your phone's voice recognition and Nav knowledge. Points found are now already on
screen and useable...while driving...for free. Cycle your phone fully off about once a
week to keep everything working glitch free.
Old 12-02-17, 01:20 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

If you have been using the navigation system on your ES300h for 3 years, that means that you are likely using a Generation 7 navigation system. The capabilities of the Lexus navigation systems, especially with regard to using voice commands, have improved significantly since the Generation 7 system was being used. I know that, with the Generation 9 system on my 2017 ES, there is a night and day difference with how well voice commands work compared to the Generation 7 system that I had on my 2013 ES.

Further, the usability of the system is, as mcomer has explained, further enhanced if you use it with the Destination Search app in the free Enform App Suite.
Old 12-02-17, 08:17 PM
Ogrechan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up a 2018 NX 300 and it is leaps from where my 2013 CT 200h is. That said, I have never had problems with the voice activation on either and I talk with a bit of a Southern slur at times. I have never seen a "system busy" error, but I have seen "connectivity" errors, due to canyons or other places with low connectivity. Sirius traffic also worked well on my 2013, generally, but I am in SoCal, so maybe it is more solid here.

I do find it annoying that if I hit the voice activation key while in Enform I can't use the phone. I need to be out of Enform, like on the map. I need to figure out if there is an option for that...
Old 12-03-17, 05:21 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Navigation Traffic information and Weather Channel are now provided (for free!) through
the HD radio network rather than XM. 3x more coverage, 2x more frequent refresh and
the Weather Channel includes a scalable map! Tuning to an HD AM or FM station will keep
the updates coming in. Do you get and listen to any HD stations in your ESh? If you do
intend to renew a subscription to XM be sure to clarify that you do NOT need Nav/Weather.

Your experience with Lexus Enform App Suite notwithstanding, it does provide the best
connection between your car and phone. Keep is running in the background, be sure the
streaming music apps are correctly registered in LEAS and last but not least...be sure that
Pandora and/or iHeart are NOT running on your phone. Counter intuitively as it seems,
if the app is running on the phone the phone is controlling it, when the app is not running
then LEAS can control it on screen.

The Navigation benefits of the App Suite are far more useful than the music features.
You can investigate destinations, call ahead and save to your phone up to ten (10) sites
at a time and when you start the car you just open Nav and respond yes to the dialog
screen asking if you wish to Synchronize. Bam - all points move over without typing or
talking. When the map screen is displayed, pressing "talk" uses the cars voice recognition
and data. Try pressing the console "Menu" and then "App Suite". 2014's had a screen
talk button, later Lexi just use the steering wheel talk button and you are then talking to
your phone's voice recognition and Nav knowledge. Points found are now already on
screen and useable...while driving...for free. Cycle your phone fully off about once a
week to keep everything working glitch free.
Do you really have to tune into an HD station to keep the traffic updated??
Old 12-04-17, 05:04 AM
nadler1ny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the issue

I purchased an NX300. Picking it up Friday. I'll report back after I get use to the new system. Now I'll join the premium vs regular fuel discussion.

Regards!
Old 12-04-17, 10:06 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

If you do not set up the App Suite and never tune an HD AM or FM station you
will start seeing "Information downloading" error messages that never clear.
When you tune in a station for just a minute or so it will populate both the
traffic "green, yellow and red corridors markings" and the weather forecast.
Nav equipped car will also get a Weather Channel updated map. It does
not seem necessary to be tuned in constantly, watch the banner in the
lower right corner for messages such as "info as of 45 minutes ago"
The following users liked this post:
mikemu30 (12-04-17)
Old 12-04-17, 07:51 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
My radio has never left Sirius for HD, and I always have traffic info available within about a minute or two of starting up....usually quicker than that.

I've never seen a "Information Downloading" message.

2017 F-Sport
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (12-05-17)
Old 12-05-17, 12:19 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
My radio has never left Sirius for HD, and I always have traffic info available within about a minute or two of starting up....usually quicker than that.

I've never seen a "Information Downloading" message.

2017 F-Sport
Wouldn't make sense that the feature wouldn't work without tuning into an HD signal.
Old 12-05-17, 01:43 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Do you have App Suite configured on your phone?
LEAS also updates the Traffic/Weather when not
able to listen to an HD source.
Old 12-05-17, 07:01 PM
Ogrechan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From another thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-weather.html

I have found that the traffic and weather from the HD radio will only work in major cities. I am in boise id and I do not get the traffic/weather from the hd radio. I have found that if I connect my phone via bluetooth to the car I can get traffic/weather. There is a setting under data that needs to be set to HD and mobile. I have the 1 year free enform subscription and I am not sure if the traffic/weather will stop working when my trial expires. Will find out in 10 months. I did find a web site that listed the cities that broadcast the traffic/weather on the HD radio but I am unable to find it now. -- TominBoise
I guess you can turn off your phone to test, but you need to be sure you are not subscribed to it through Sirius, if the car can still use that source.
Old 12-05-17, 08:02 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The system does this for you, behind-the-scenes (in the background). You do not have to explicitly do anything.
Old 12-06-17, 07:06 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Ogrechan, no the system has no connection through the XM link...thank goodness!
Old 12-07-17, 12:13 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Lexus used 2 HD tuners. 1 just for the traffic and weather info. The app suite can act as a backup data source in the event you're not near an HD station that's transmitting the info.
Old 12-13-17, 10:11 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I can't tell if the discussion about what gives us the traffic information is our NX is settled, but for the past two days I've been getting HD Traffic information without my phone being on and without any radio being on.

I guess it doesn't matter where the traffic information comes from....as long as it works.

Quick Reply: Navigation, Enform and voice question