NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2018 NX - remote starter ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 10:57 PM
MissEllie
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got my key fob to work with 3 presses of the Lock button, but since it shuts off when you unlock the door, it's of no use to me.
Old 03-01-18, 10:11 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MissEllie
I finally got my key fob to work with 3 presses of the Lock button, but since it shuts off when you unlock the door, it's of no use to me.
Nor is it of any use to those who prey on "steamers," those cars that are warming-up while unattended and are stolen relatively often this time of year.

I personally appreciate that Lexus has included this "shut off" feature as another layer of protection against auto theft...
Old 03-01-18, 10:51 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MissEllie
It's of use for us, who lives in northern climate If the car's been warming up for 5-10 minutes and shuts off when I pull the door latch, It'll still be warm when I'll sit in it!

But I hear you, it's a little dumb. I'm pretty positive it's a safety measure. However, and I don't know if some of you tried like I did, but you can't go very far without the key fob in the vehicle...

Last edited by Eduskator; 03-01-18 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-06-18, 05:59 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Folks, I contacted one local automotive electronics installer and was told that they can activate NX OEM remote to start/stop the car. Of course, the range will be just as lousy as we know it is - 30 feet or so. Price - under $300. I will explore this further and will let you know if I installed it and the rest.
However, additionally, I want to install Start-X modular that allows you to start your car (any car they claim, the distance is 300-500ft) from your mobile phone and without monthly fee. The unit is sold through Amazon
Wish me luck.
Update: I let Enform to laps after one year. It was lousy app anyway: multiple tries to star car and network issues. I ended up installing remote started that works from OEM fob and I was advised against Start-X. The total is $270.00.

To start the car, it takes press “lock” three times. The warm-up time is set for 20 min and can be set for just about time length, I was told. Works like a charm.
Old 04-07-18, 07:49 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Guessing it shuts off when opened like stock?
Old 04-07-18, 08:06 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skyshadow
Guessing it shuts off when opened like stock?
Engine shuts down as soon as driver door is opened, but not when rear hatch or other doors opened.
Old 04-07-18, 11:00 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 749 Likes on 466 Posts
Arrow

I made a thread a week or so ago. I'll just copy and paste it here to see if anyone might be able to test/try...etc.

I was playing with TechStream today... under various things that can be configured *by dealer only, if you don't have techstream*, and came across this. See pictures below.

It says Communication Remote Engine Starter = OFF (by default)
Under item description it doesn't give a whole lot of information: "Function to ON/OFF of the Remote Engine Starter.

Now this has me thinking... is this why Enform is used, but in all reality if this is turned on will the key fob remote start the NX? Does anyone know or have anymore information?

My wife has the year free of Enform with Lexus so as of right now I can't test this, however... is anyone in the VA/DC/MD area that would like to try? I will turn the feature on and we can see if the key fob will remote start the vehicle without an Enform subscription. That's key... you can't have an active Enform for remote start I'm guess because then it would start with the fob. My wife's is a 2018, but I'm sure this feature is probably on all the NXs...

Seems possible and hence why the dealers/Lexus state that an Enform subscription is the ONLY way to turn the remote start on which would be true if this value is set to OFF which is the default value presently set leaving the factory.

This might not do anything with the remote start honestly but it would be cool if we could try. I turned the feature on for my wife's NX but iwon't know if that does anything until December 2018...9 more months...lol

Figured I'd post this and if anyone wants to try we can figure out the logistics.

-Nigel
Old 04-07-18, 12:32 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Nigel,

I saw your thread and what you find there is appealing. But… I do not / did not have anybody to play with the techstream, etc. So, I pulled the trigger and installed that solution. I suspect there was software modification but tech also installed (from receipt) UA59BO “Car Acc Al in One Module”. This is some kind of module that required to make remote start. I was also told that if I want to increase the range up to 1000ft, they can add antenna and small separate remote on the car keychain. Some programming will also require.
Old 07-07-18, 08:49 AM
yvan_es350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by heffnerlex
Lexus Canada has confirmed there will be no remote starter available for the 2018 NX this year. A new kit is being built at the moment and the earliest they expect it to arrive is fall of 2018.
Any updates on this kit? Merci.
Old 07-07-18, 09:16 AM
slypx
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by yvan_es350
Any updates on this kit? Merci.
HI Yvan, not that I'm aware of and there not showing any on their website even for the 2019 that you can built on Lexus.ca
Bought my 2018 F-Sport Series 3 in March 2018 and had to get a aftermarket remote (provided by the dealer for free in the buying deal). Now I have to carry two remotes in winter as I need the OEM keyfob for keyless entry AND engine start. Downsize of that remote is that it won't open the rear door to full extension, they can't program it to open more that "level 4" (or whatever it's called) and as I am 6' it doesn't make it for me unless I want a forehead reconstruction !! I have to use the OEM for the rear hatch or the keyless button, wish we had the foot access in Canada.

There might be other aftermarket solution out there but not aware of it

In summary the aftermarket remote is only a remote starter for me ... for anything else I need the OEM key fob ... It's a bummer on a 60 000 CDN$ car ... but other than that and the HUD slight misalignment (see my other thread here) I really like my NX so I've learned to live with it for the remote and awaiting for a solution on the HUD situation
The following users liked this post:
yvan_es350 (07-07-18)
Old 07-09-18, 06:02 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by slypx
HI Yvan, not that I'm aware of and there not showing any on their website even for the 2019 that you can built on Lexus.ca
Bought my 2018 F-Sport Series 3 in March 2018 and had to get a aftermarket remote (provided by the dealer for free in the buying deal). Now I have to carry two remotes in winter as I need the OEM keyfob for keyless entry AND engine start. Downsize of that remote is that it won't open the rear door to full extension, they can't program it to open more that "level 4" (or whatever it's called) and as I am 6' it doesn't make it for me unless I want a forehead reconstruction !! I have to use the OEM for the rear hatch or the keyless button, wish we had the foot access in Canada.

There might be other aftermarket solution out there but not aware of it

In summary the aftermarket remote is only a remote starter for me ... for anything else I need the OEM key fob ... It's a bummer on a 60 000 CDN$ car ... but other than that and the HUD slight misalignment (see my other thread here) I really like my NX so I've learned to live with it for the remote and awaiting for a solution on the HUD situation
Thanks for the information Sylvain! I'm also from Québec and I must say that I am a little disappointed about the fact that it doesn't come OEM with a remote starter. Our winters are rough and it's a must. I hear you - nobody wants to carry 2 fobs on their 60k vehicle. However, I saw a few aftermarket remote starters that could be programmed with the OEM Fob. Makes me wonder if it's really working and if it's possible to get one here in Canada.

My other disappointment (big one) is the horrible*fuel consumption. For a 4cyl 2.0T that has Atkinson cycle and the dynamic torque control of the AWD system, I would have thought it could do a lot better than 8.8/10.8... I can imagine this thing doing 15L/100km here in Winter when it's -30C outside...

Still undecided whether I'm getting one or not as my next vehicle, but the 2 cons below makes me hesitate.

Last edited by Eduskator; 07-09-18 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-09-18, 06:38 AM
slypx
Driver

Originally Posted by Eduskator
My other disappointment (big one) is the horrible*fuel consumption. For a 4cyl 2.0T that has Atkinson cycle and the dynamic torque control of the AWD system, I would have thought it could do a lot better than 8.8/10.8... I can imagine this thing doing 15L/100km here in Winter when it's -30C outside...
I've decided not to let the remote issue be a show stopper for me but that is rather a personal choice.

For gas consumption, I took possession on March 29th so I can't relate to winter comsumption yet but just came back from a round trip to Niagara Falls, Ontario from a Montreal suburb (about 1500 km round trip). Driving exclusively in Eco mode and using adaptive cruise control at speed limit all the time, I've had 8.0l/100km on the way there and 7,8 l/100km on the way back including major traffic jams in and out of Toronto area and a 45 mins stop on the 401 on the way back (took us 45 mins to do 2.8km !!) as it was closed due to a major accident and then they sent us on side roads On the way back, until I reached Toronto and the traffic jams I was doing 6.6 - 6.8 over 125 km

For our US friends, according to this converter tool 7.8 to 8.0 liters per 100 km is about 30 MPG

Also, my experience in city mode, commuting to work in downtown Montreal from the Eastern suburb (about 40km) in Eco mode I'm doing around 9.8 to 10.3l/100km in urban driving for a 400 km week which is far better than my previous vehicle (Ford Edge with V6 at 12.5 to 13.0l/100km and 14.0 - 14.5 in winter conditions)

In summary, I would say that the "official" consumption numbers from Transport Canada are worst than real life driving if driving in conservative mode. But I must add that driving in "Sport" mode or "Sports +" mode (I have the F-Sport serie 3), the consumption rises quickly and is probably higher than the official numbers.

So don't let the gas consumption be a bigger deal than it can be because I think it all comes down to driving mode, conditions, driving habits and how much fun you want to have !! :-).

Last edited by slypx; 07-09-18 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-09-18, 06:55 AM
yvan_es350
Driver School Candidate

Slypx, My Lexus Dealer told me that the new remote starter kit will be available this sept. Hope he's right. I could use it now with this heat.
Old 07-09-18, 06:57 AM
slypx
Driver

Originally Posted by yvan_es350
Slypx, My Lexus Dealer told me that the new remote starter kit will be available this sept. Hope he's right. I could use it now with this heat.
Thanks for the info, that could be for the 2019 model (already available to order), I'll see then what it is and if it can be retrofit and at what price ...

Last edited by slypx; 07-09-18 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-09-18, 10:58 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by slypx
I've decided not to let the remote issue be a show stopper for me but that is rather a personal choice.

For gas consumption, I took possession on March 29th so I can't relate to winter comsumption yet but just came back from a round trip to Niagara Falls, Ontario from a Montreal suburb (about 1500 km round trip). Driving exclusively in Eco mode and using adaptive cruise control at speed limit all the time, I've had 8.0l/100km on the way there and 7,8 l/100km on the way back including major traffic jams in and out of Toronto area and a 45 mins stop on the 401 on the way back (took us 45 mins to do 2.8km !!) as it was closed due to a major accident and then they sent us on side roads On the way back, until I reached Toronto and the traffic jams I was doing 6.6 - 6.8 over 125 km

For our US friends, according to this converter tool 7.8 to 8.0 liters per 100 km is about 30 MPG

Also, my experience in city mode, commuting to work in downtown Montreal from the Eastern suburb (about 40km) in Eco mode I'm doing around 9.8 to 10.3l/100km in urban driving for a 400 km week which is far better than my previous vehicle (Ford Edge with V6 at 12.5 to 13.0l/100km and 14.0 - 14.5 in winter conditions)

In summary, I would say that the "official" consumption numbers from Transport Canada are worst than real life driving if driving in conservative mode. But I must add that driving in "Sport" mode or "Sports +" mode (I have the F-Sport serie 3), the consumption rises quickly and is probably higher than the official numbers.

So don't let the gas consumption be a bigger deal than it can be because I think it all comes down to driving mode, conditions, driving habits and how much fun you want to have !! :-).
Thanks for the information - it's hard to beat an Edge... They are gas suckers!

Are these numbers hand calculated or they're based on the dash lye-o-meter consumption? From my experience, my vehicles have always shown 1-2L lower than the real fuel consumption. Fuelly shows an average of 24.4MPG (9.6L/100km) over 52k miles tracked for 2015s and 23.1MPG (10.2L/100km) over 47k miles tracked for 2016s, which is close to your numbers!

Toyota is known for its reliability, and also known for its bad fuel consumption. Guess both don't go well together. However, I do agree that it's not a ''show stopper'' when you like the brand and anything under 10 is reasonable for a fun and sporty SUV.

Back to the topic's subject, I'm LF to know if Lexus Canada will find a way to have remote starters that will use oem key fob.

Last edited by Eduskator; 07-09-18 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 NX - remote starter ?