ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-1st-gen-2015-2021-264/)
-   -   2018 NX - remote starter ? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-1st-gen-2015-2021/874387-2018-nx-remote-starter.html)

Eduskator 07-09-18 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by slypx (Post 10245689)
I've decided not to let the remote issue be a show stopper for me but that is rather a personal choice.

For gas consumption, I took possession on March 29th so I can't relate to winter comsumption yet but just came back from a round trip to Niagara Falls, Ontario from a Montreal suburb (about 1500 km round trip). Driving exclusively in Eco mode and using adaptive cruise control at speed limit all the time, I've had 8.0l/100km on the way there and 7,8 l/100km on the way back including major traffic jams in and out of Toronto area and a 45 mins stop on the 401 on the way back (took us 45 mins to do 2.8km !!) as it was closed due to a major accident and then they sent us on side roads On the way back, until I reached Toronto and the traffic jams I was doing 6.6 - 6.8 over 125 km

For our US friends, according to this converter tool 7.8 to 8.0 liters per 100 km is about 30 MPG

Also, my experience in city mode, commuting to work in downtown Montreal from the Eastern suburb (about 40km) in Eco mode I'm doing around 9.8 to 10.3l/100km in urban driving for a 400 km week which is far better than my previous vehicle (Ford Edge with V6 at 12.5 to 13.0l/100km and 14.0 - 14.5 in winter conditions)

In summary, I would say that the "official" consumption numbers from Transport Canada are worst than real life driving if driving in conservative mode. But I must add that driving in "Sport" mode or "Sports +" mode (I have the F-Sport serie 3), the consumption rises quickly and is probably higher than the official numbers.

So don't let the gas consumption be a bigger deal than it can be because I think it all comes down to driving mode, conditions, driving habits and how much fun you want to have !! :-).

Thanks for the information - it's hard to beat an Edge... They are gas suckers!

Are these numbers hand calculated or they're based on the dash lye-o-meter consumption? :) From my experience, my vehicles have always shown 1-2L lower than the real fuel consumption. Fuelly shows an average of 24.4MPG (9.6L/100km) over 52k miles tracked for 2015s and 23.1MPG (10.2L/100km) over 47k miles tracked for 2016s, which is close to your numbers!

Toyota is known for its reliability, and also known for its bad fuel consumption. Guess both don't go well together. However, I do agree that it's not a ''show stopper'' when you like the brand and anything under 10 is reasonable for a fun and sporty SUV.

Back to the topic's subject, I'm LF to know if Lexus Canada will find a way to have remote starters that will use oem key fob.

slypx 07-09-18 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Eduskator (Post 10245966)
Thanks for the information - it's hard to beat an Edge... They are gas suckers!
Are these numbers hand calculated or they're based on the dash lye-o-meter consumption? :) From my experience, my vehicles have always shown 1-2L lower than the real fuel consumption. Fuelly shows an average of 24.4MPG (9.6L/100km) over 52k miles tracked for 2015s and 23.1MPG (10.2L/100km) over 47k miles tracked for 2016s, which is close to your numbers!

They were from the dash instrumentation ... But just did the math with the bills ... 119 liters for 1500 km = 7.93 l/100km ... I'm happy as it looks pretty accurate to me !

geomike 07-10-18 03:57 AM

About gas consumption mine is making 220 km / 20 liters. About 9 l / 100 km.
remote starter had two options , one lexus branded comes with two keys cost about 1000 CAD and the second one My Start application on mobile that allow 4 or 5 ppl with the same app and works from long distances. Cost 700 CAD.
i chose my start. Works well for start, shut down, open locks and lock doors.

Eduskator 07-10-18 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by geomike (Post 10246671)
About gas consumption mine is making 220 km / 20 liters. About 9 l / 100 km.
remote starter had two options , one lexus branded comes with two keys cost about 1000 CAD and the second one My Start application on mobile that allow 4 or 5 ppl with the same app and works from long distances. Cost 700 CAD.
i chose my start. Works well for start, shut down, open locks and lock doors.

Even if I'm under 30 and consider myself techy, I'm not a great fan of ''mobile only'' features. I have this on my Ford F150 - I can lock, unlock doors, remote start it from anywhere in the world and see exactly where it is on my iPhone, but my key fob also has a built in remote start which I use a lot more than the mobile app.

1000$ for a Lexus branded remote starter that does not use the OEM key fob is a steal, IMO. I can get a 2-way for 300$ with the by-pass module at my local shop. Guy comes installing it right in your driveway.

On another note, I found this on google:
https://www.12volt.solutions/product...v2-1-smart-key

nigel821 07-10-18 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Eduskator (Post 10246701)
Even if I'm under 30 and consider myself techy, I'm not a great fan of ''mobile only'' features. I have this on my Ford F150 - I can lock, unlock doors, remote start it from anywhere in the world and see exactly where it is on my iPhone, but my key fob also has a built in remote start which I use a lot more than the mobile app.

1000$ for a Lexus branded remote starter that does not use the OEM key fob is a steal, IMO. I can get a 2-way for 300$ with the by-pass module at my local shop. Guy comes installing it right in your driveway.

I just emailed them asking if this would work for 2018 models and those that have Enform. I'll post a reply back once they get back to me.

This seems like a way better option, uses the stock fob and is plug and play. Once our free year expires I will go back to tech stream and see when I enable remote start option and see if the fob does it without an active enform subscription... If not and the above link does in fact work for 2018's w/ Enform I will buy it. Can't stand having to pay a subscription service for something like a remote start. I totally get that if I want to use my phone. That I have no problem paying. But when the technology is already in a $60k car and the FOB will do it but only with a subscription, that pisses me off. The FOB by default should always be able to remote start the vehicle.

EDIT: Appears this is what one wants with a 2018 NX300:
https://www.12volt.solutions/product...h-button-start

-Nigel

Eduskator 07-10-18 08:22 AM

Yep - and I believe Enform is only available on a few models since 2018 here in Canada, so it should be a plug and play for Canadian NX owners... It even looks like you don't need any wire cutting, so it might by a DIY job!

I still don't understand why Lexus doesn't include remote starter in its higher trims... Guess it's a money thing.

geomike 07-10-18 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Eduskator (Post 10246836)
Yep - and I don't believe we have Enform here in Canada, so it should be a plug and play for us... It even looks like you don't need any wire cutting, so it might by a DIY job!

I still don't understand why Lexus doesn't include remote starter in its higher trims... Guess it's a money thing.

in the 2018 nx300 the enform app don't have remote start.
Sure it's a money thing.

Eduskator 07-10-18 09:45 AM

And I totally understand, but it should come standard in higher trims such as the Executive or the F-Sport 2/3 (for people living in USA, we have 3 levels of F-Sport trims here in Canada)...

Lexus probably thinks that its clientele all have heated garages.

yvan_es350 07-10-18 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by slypx (Post 10245706)
Thanks for the info, that could be for the 2019 model (already available to order), I'll see then what it is and if it can be retrofit and at what price ...

Sylvain. Update from Lexus. Remote long range launch date not before spring 2019. Sad day. :(

slypx 07-10-18 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by yvan_es350 (Post 10247145)
Sylvain. Update from Lexus. Remote long range launch date not before spring 2019. Sad day. :(

Thanks Yvan for the follow up
I’m still skeptical ... That is if it ever comes ! When I first started visiting Lexus dealers in August 2017, I was told by two dealers that it would come with model year 2018 in Q1 2018 ... Well, ... the rest is history... bought it on March and we are in Q3... still no OEM solution.... not holding my breath :-)

slypx 07-10-18 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eduskator (Post 10246701)

Good finding ... but considering the extremely short range of the OEM key fob (100 feet max maybe ...) I wonder about the final result ...

Eduskator 07-11-18 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by slypx (Post 10247312)

Good finding ... but considering the extremely short range of the OEM key fob (100 feet max maybe ...) I wonder about the final result ...

Could be an issue if you need to remote start from distance. On my part, I only remote start in the winter mornings when the car is right next to my house and leaving work when I'm close to the vehicle so it will probably won't be an issue, but for a vehicle that would be in a garage downstairs, for instance, it could be problematic.

nigel821 07-12-18 03:26 PM

So for the company above about the remote start, they emailed me back. If you have Enform you simply unplug a fuse when you are programming the unit, then once it's programmed plug the fuse back in.

I am almost 100% positive I will be buying this at the end of the year (subscription service). It's silly to spend a monthly fee on remote start. I figure we'll have the NX for 10 years so $300 is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Hell I paid that much for the illuminated JDM cup holder inserts from lexus...

The one linked is all plug and play and you don't have to cut any wires which is awesome. I have a remote start on our w211 and it was all plug and play and works great with the OEM key fob. I am not concerned with distance since 100' is more than enough. I am not wanting to start the car a mile away. I only remote start my vehicles if I can see them.. IE: Normally in the driveway in the winter time. I'll update later once I get it and install it. Should be simple. The longest part of a remote start for my truck was taking everything a part.

This is my ranger apart for when I did it...lol

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...f8e031cc25.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...b6f8c39f82.jpg

-Nigel

Eduskator 07-13-18 08:10 AM

Thanks for the info! Good to know it's plug and play. No need to have a Professional installer doing it. If it's really plug and play, it's worth every pennies of the 300$.

slypx 07-13-18 08:31 AM

@Eduskator... Issue for us Canadians is that Remote Start using Enform is not available in Canada ... No idea why, but it's not ...