NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2018 NX - remote starter ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 08:37 PM
Nikeson
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can confirm that the remote start on the key fob works, at least for the US version of the NX300H. I click on the lock button twice then hold it for a few seconds on the third click. I’m surprised the Canadian version doesn’t have a similar feature.
Old 02-12-18, 07:02 AM
pobrien5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus gives you Enform for a year that allowed remote start from smart phone and key fobs wireless. Now that the trial is over they deactivate both. Obviously the car is capable of remote start from the wireless FOB bur Lexus chooses to deactivate this function when you don't take there Enform app. I want to know has anyone gotten the key fob wireless remote start reactivated with out a subscription to Enform? Can a program like TIS Techstream reprogram this function?
Old 02-12-18, 07:38 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pobrien5
Lexus gives you Enform for a year that allowed remote start from smart phone and key fobs wireless. Now that the trial is over they deactivate both. Obviously the car is capable of remote start from the wireless FOB bur Lexus chooses to deactivate this function when you don't take there Enform app. I want to know has anyone gotten the key fob wireless remote start reactivated with out a subscription to Enform? Can a program like TIS Techstream reprogram this function?
Must have active enform subscrition for the remote to work on all 17 models and on
Old 02-12-18, 08:07 AM
pobrien5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So your familiar with The TIS Techstream and you cant reprogram the wireless fob in this program? I would be amazed that someone here has not figured how to reactivate the wireless fob to remote start again.
Old 02-12-18, 08:18 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

So your familiar with The TIS Techstream and you cant reprogram the wireless fob in this program? I would be amazed that someone here has not figured how to reactivate the wireless fob to remote start again.
I have not seen it happen yet, I know few mechanics, from my dealership and every single one stated it cant be done through the TIS system, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the Enform end of it.
Old 02-13-18, 12:28 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by LOLjasonW
I have not seen it happen yet, I know few mechanics, from my dealership and every single one stated it cant be done through the TIS system, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the Enform end of it.

Darn... that's truly disappointing :-(

-Nigel
Old 02-15-18, 05:09 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I COULD see why they'd deactivate the phone application, but the key fob, really? At the price this vehicle cost? Com hon Lexus.
Old 02-15-18, 08:41 PM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by Eduskator
I COULD see why they'd deactivate the phone application, but the key fob, really? At the price this vehicle cost? Com hon Lexus.
Totally agree. Completely understand and know that it costs money to run the infrastructure to enable phone activation/lock...etc. But just as you said, the FOB should remote start the car regardless. Not everyone wants or even needs to be able to turn their car on via the phone. If one wants that option then a subscription service completely makes sense.
Oh well... We can only hope that someone or a company can crack something?

I know on our Mercedes 2009 w211 you could not get remote start at all. Most places wouldn't even touch it saying it just couldn't be done. A company called MidCity Engineering created a plug and play unit that utilized your stock key fob. Push the panic button once and the car remote starts. I should send them an email to see if they could create something like that for the NX. I just installed that on our w211 actually and it works flawlessly. I tore up my hand because there was no room anywhere on how they designed the car but it's in and works great. Because once enform is activated the key fob works to remote start... which I makes you wonder, what IF you are in an area with ZERO cell signal... would the NX remote start using the keyfob or would it just not do anything?

-Nigel
Old 02-19-18, 02:56 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

Folks, I contacted one local automotive electronics installer and was told that they can activate NX OEM remote to start/stop the car. Of course, the range will be just as lousy as we know it is - 30 feet or so. Price - under $300. I will explore this further and will let you know if I installed it and the rest.
However, additionally, I want to install Start-X modular that allows you to start your car (any car they claim, the distance is 300-500ft) from your mobile phone and without monthly fee. The unit is sold through Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Wish me luck.
Old 02-20-18, 05:49 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nigel821
Totally agree. Completely understand and know that it costs money to run the infrastructure to enable phone activation/lock...etc. But just as you said, the FOB should remote start the car regardless. Not everyone wants or even needs to be able to turn their car on via the phone. If one wants that option then a subscription service completely makes sense.
Oh well... We can only hope that someone or a company can crack something?

I know on our Mercedes 2009 w211 you could not get remote start at all. Most places wouldn't even touch it saying it just couldn't be done. A company called MidCity Engineering created a plug and play unit that utilized your stock key fob. Push the panic button once and the car remote starts. I should send them an email to see if they could create something like that for the NX. I just installed that on our w211 actually and it works flawlessly. I tore up my hand because there was no room anywhere on how they designed the car but it's in and works great. Because once enform is activated the key fob works to remote start... which I makes you wonder, what IF you are in an area with ZERO cell signal... would the NX remote start using the keyfob or would it just not do anything?

-Nigel
As I said and unless Lexus *****ed up big time, remote starters work using FM transmitters... Remote starter on a phone application works using internet. Here in Canada we have options for aftermarket remote starter that will work with OEM key Fob + provide aditionnal range. Still, I find it silly that a 50k SUV doesn't come equipped with a remote starter. When I bought my IS250 a few years ago, the dealership charged somewhere around 1000$ for a remote starter.

This is the one I'll get if I buy a NX200T. I don't mind having an aftermarket module, as long as I don't have a 2 remotes in my pocket.
http://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/lexus/n...push-to-start/

Last edited by Eduskator; 02-20-18 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 08:17 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Originally Posted by hichamaziz
can you try the remote start with the keyfob method?
If you do not have an active Enform subscription whether the free trial or full membership, they will deactivate the fob
Old 02-21-18, 11:07 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Any good remote starter installers such as glass shops and etc. will be able to install an aftermarket device that'll work with the OEM key fob. It would be silly to have 2 remotes in your pocket.
Old 02-26-18, 10:42 PM
MissEllie
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferdie
Try pressing the unlock button 3 times on the third press hold it until you see 3 blinks of the lights then release
Is this supposed to work on the 2017? I tried it with no success.
Old 02-27-18, 06:57 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the remote starter still shut off engine when you first open the door on the NX?? . Maybe you want to check this since it seems like it is a big deal for you.
I have an 2014 IS350 executive edition and my remote starter shuts off when i open the door which is pretty ****ty to started it up again once i am in.
Old 02-28-18, 08:54 PM
nigel821
Racer

^
With my wife's 18'. You can start it then when you unlock it or open the door it shuts off. Then you have to start the vehicle again. Gotta be one of the dumbest things I've seen...lol

-Nigel

Quick Reply: 2018 NX - remote starter ?