NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Nx200t buyers remorse ??

Old 11-29-17, 02:25 AM
beefnoodle
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Nx200t buyers remorse ??

Anyone else regretting their decision to buy this car ? I think the car looks so god damn good ! I literally, no joke turn around atleast once to look at the car after I park it. I know jack about cars, and got this Nx purely on the fact that 1, this car looks freaken good, so good. and 2. Toyota/Lexus = good/reliable .

After 4 months of ownership and 3000 miles I am left feeling alittle disappointed. not sure If I got a lemon or what. Winter is upon us and the car is inconsistently vibrating like a *****, you feel it through the steering wheel, in the car seat, even in the back passenger seat through the floor matts. We give her 94 octane. I am hesitant to bring her in to the dealer, its a 40 min drive and my experience with them thus far has not been stellar. That and reading comments of ppl being turned away and told " its normal"

Theres also surprisingly a decent amount of wind noise while on the highway. Coming from a Honda Civic Coup, I thought that a Lexus, albeit an entry level base model Lexus should still be a step up from a Civic. I am not so sure of that anymore. I understand this is not a V6 but a 4 cylinder Turbo. Is it supposed to make so much noise ? sure in a sport mode its little more responsive from a stop, and its got some go to it if its all ready rolling but going up a hill it sounds like its struggling a lot. Should this car have been outfitted with a V6 to really haul all this sexiness ?

The exterior to me screams Lexus Luxury but the interior has Toyota Economy written all over it. (unless you got the upgraded packages I assume)
The car interior really belongs in the Toyota line.

At the end of the day I am left wondering what makes this a $40k car other than the Lexus badge ?
Perhaps I was too hasty in my descion making. Maybe you car enthusiast can tell me what I paid for LOL
Old 11-29-17, 06:31 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No buyers remorse from me, I'm still extremely satisfied with the NX and still love driving it. I still get a big smile on my face looking at it and driving it.
The following 2 users liked this post by TorontoIS:
Granged (12-15-17), lexus114 (11-29-17)
Old 11-29-17, 07:28 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
No buyers remorse from me, I'm still extremely satisfied with the NX and still love driving it. I still get a big smile on my face looking at it and driving it.

Agreed...and mine pulls hills better than the 2015 rx 350 it replaced?
Old 11-29-17, 08:36 AM
batchelor
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am pretty happy with mine, none of the issues you describe, I am a year and a half in to a 2015 that I purchased with 10K kilometres. I have the fully loaded version but don't have the same sense of you as to the interior. It is as good as the Volvo I traded it in for which had great seats, horsepower and handling. I knew that a small SUV wouldn't be the same as a sports sedan, thus I am content.
Old 11-29-17, 12:28 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

None for me.
I wanted one even before it hit the showroom, seeing it here on CL with all the spy pics.

I knew I didn't want an RX nor the GX (had an GX470 before). I like the small size.

I checked it out when it was available, checked out the interior, test drove it, and signed the papers.
The following users liked this post:
Scubadav (04-25-19)
Old 11-29-17, 03:00 PM
endTIMES
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You might be a pretty attuned driver like myself. We are far from the norm. For example, I bought a Lexus simply because I like to sit in my car with dead silence. No noise, no phone calls - nothing. I like it as quiet as it would be in outer space. Even a slight window rattle drives me nuts. That being said, I noticed a big difference in build quality and road / wind noise between the 2018 NX300 and the 2017 NX200T. That alone was a huge decision on spending the extra $6,000 or so for a new NX300 (dealerships had $6,000 off MSRP to move the 2017's). The other contributing factor was getting Michelin's on the car over the other tire options. The road noise is noticeably reduced with the Pilot Sport A/S.

You could try the tires out as a cheaper upgrade or go down to the dealer and see about the 2018 NX300 for a lot more cash loss.
Old 11-29-17, 04:13 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I kinda am.. I keep staring at Tundras and 4Runners on the road.. and keep wondering how much I would like them better. Something about those lifted trucks and offroad capabilities makes me wanting to build a 4x4 that the NX cant offer.
Old 11-29-17, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I think you have to understand that its an entry level car based on the Toyota Rav 4. The interior feels "economy" because it is, and as you mentioned you have a low package car.

You see this everywhere, not just from Lexus. Sit in an entry level Mercedes, BMW or Audi, all of the same cheapness exists, if not moreso. Bottom line is $40,000 isn't very much anymore for a car, your NX is $10k less than a loaded Toyota Sienna minivan, for example. About the same price as a loaded Ford Fusion.

Its all about managing your expectations.
Old 11-29-17, 08:33 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Some really good points shared in this thread. I love the looks of my 2015 NX with premium package and often park at work where I can see her from my office. With that said, I came from a 2016 Rav4 that had some features that I wish the NX had...simple things like a real sunglass holder and a bit more storage. I also liked the touchscreen on the Rav4 where you could quickly access contacts with a simple tap on the screen. Pros are the smooth ride, quick pickup and better overall handling. SW15LS said it best with the reminder about managing expectations.
Old 11-30-17, 02:12 AM
beefnoodle
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think you have to understand that its an entry level car based on the Toyota Rav 4. The interior feels "economy" because it is, and as you mentioned you have a low package car.

You see this everywhere, not just from Lexus. Sit in an entry level Mercedes, BMW or Audi, all of the same cheapness exists, if not moreso. Bottom line is $40,000 isn't very much anymore for a car, your NX is $10k less than a loaded Toyota Sienna minivan, for example. About the same price as a loaded Ford Fusion.

Its all about managing your expectations.
yeah I def agree on ur point about managing exceptions, Not sure what I was expecting, guess the lesson here is entry level luxury and economy are at par.I got less for my money but got a sexy *** looking car ! Like having a really nice wallet no no cash in it HAHA . It's just unfortunate that my 10 year old civic idled smoother than this brand new Lexus. Even if I were to have bought a fully loaded RAV 4 instead, I would still expect it to idle smoothly.
Old 11-30-17, 07:49 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

No buyers remorse from me. I agree that it’s all about expectations, and I knew I wasn’t getting an LS. My only disappointment with the NX is the transmission. It has more hiccups, coughs, and hesitations than a reluctant groom. My son’s truck has a better (smoother) operating transmission. It is impossible to drive smoothly, and all Lexus service tells me that it’s supposed to be that way. I can’t decide if I have a particularly bad one, or if the rest of the NX drivers in the world don’t notice. It makes me crazy.

The NX is our 6th Lexus and we LOVE our RX, but this will be the reason I look away from Lexus when my lease is up.
Old 11-30-17, 11:53 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,327 Likes on 1,682 Posts

I found it noisy and cramped on a test drive and the main reason I moved up to an RX. The difference between the 2.0 turbo and the RX V6 is night and day.
Old 11-30-17, 03:54 PM
LNXT200
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not at all, very happy with mine in fact I traded a 15 non F for a 17 F-sport, must say I get bored pretty quick, two years and I'm done. I wish it had touchscreen like most toyota, but I can live with it.
Old 11-30-17, 07:44 PM
Mide
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I also have some buyer's remorse. I've had my 2015 NX for around 4 months now and there are a few things that still bother me (I came from a 2015 Volvo S60 and 2010 Prius). There is road noise coming from the driver's side. Not sure if it's a window or what the deal is, but it's annoying. The power is OK for the most part, but it's still lacking 50hp or so. The 6-speed tranny seems clunky vs an 8-speed. I perfer the smoothness of an 8-speed in the Volvo. And the main issue is that this is my first CUV and I guess I just prefer the ride quality of a sedan. I wish I would've test driven a GS before getting the NX.
Old 11-30-17, 08:28 PM
Exzachly
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No remorse here. 4th Lexus, so maybe I knew what I'd be getting. With that said, we've had the opportunity to own competitors' vehicles over the years (2011 GLK 350, 2011 XC60 R-Design, 2013 Allroad, 2014 ML 350, 2015 X3 M Sport) and none are perfect. Each had things we loved, and things that annoyed us to one degree or another. The NX seems to blend the best of all worlds, being the ideal jack-of-all-trades. It feels as well built and solid as any of the Germans we've had.

Ditching Entune and integrating Apple Carplay and Android Auto will likely be the biggest improvement the NX could hope see, IMO. The revamped 2018 nav package is decent -- but not great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nx200t buyers remorse ??