NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Nx200t buyers remorse ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 09:47 PM
Nyclife
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaTac1
Much to my DW's dismay I had to drive her NX for the last two weeks while my 4Runner was being repaired from a crash. I have no issue with power, It's not a V8 but its clearly a success for Lexus 1st Turbocharged engine. Quick powerful and with a nice growl. I averaged 27 mpg driving to and from Seattle for work. The AWD was sophisticated and seamless in the snow of Christmas. It's creature like comforts make the tight seats very comfortable. Now, take this the right way but boys, to me it's a chick car (do me a solid no PC flames). Pretty, peppy and very comfortable.

I got my truck back today. Yes I miss the side alerts to approaching cars and the heated seats. But with the V6 muscle PIAA lights and beefy feel....I'lll stick with it.

The NX is a very very nice vehicle.
If it had the same motor as the IS350 I'd get it in an instant. Still on the fence about it, whatever happens I can transfer my GX lease.
Old 01-06-18, 04:57 AM
Floorance
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyclife
If it had the same motor as the IS350 I'd get it in an instant. Still on the fence about it, whatever happens I can transfer my GX lease.
I beg to differ, the IS350 engine while more power come with more weight, require bigger brakes etc. The engine really needs to be pushed hard to really feel fast and will have worse mpg. I feel the NX is more than sporty enough for what it is. Having that engine would require changes to the suspension and mess with the NX driving dynamics and price it out of the majority of the NX buyers audience. The only thing I really miss in my old IS350 was the F-Sport Air Intake, that had a really deep sound when pushed and puts the ASC to shame.
Old 01-08-18, 11:02 AM
my4girls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Mildly impressed

60k Canadian for the 2017 Fsport Looks fantastic love the interior..My big issues are the very underpowered AC and heater which dealer says was done on purpose to redirect the power to the Turbo?Seriously takes 15 minutes to warm up on cold day and AC never does perform properly on 30c days. I drive 45,ooo miles a year so fuel efficiency great except ridiculously small fuel capacity has me at the pumps anyway. Really miss my Honda Pilot... I didnt buy a rocket so Im ok with the power of the Turbo. Stereo severely under performs, dealer apologized said thats just how they are.
Anyone who lives in a snow belt notice the collection of snow up under the door ? Never seen so much water (and soap) from a carwash collect inside at the top of back hatch
Old 01-08-18, 11:25 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Never took NX to car wash. I use 2 bucket method at home. Yes, even using high pressure blower, takes forever to rid water from hatch area. 4RX even worse.
The collection of debris under door is really bad. There has been discussion here how to rebuild seals, but too much for me to do.
Does anyone know if the 2018 resolved the bad bottom door seals?
Old 01-08-18, 11:48 AM
Terpsfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,

I just purchased a 2018 NX F Sport (white with red/black interior). I took it straight from the dealer and dropped it off for detail, cquartz coating, and clear bra. Once I get it back and actually get to drive it (anxiously awaiting) I will chime in with likes/dislikes and touch on the deris und the door issue.
Old 01-08-18, 11:49 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by my4girls
60k Canadian for the 2017 Fsport Looks fantastic love the interior..My big issues are the very underpowered AC and heater which dealer says was done on purpose to redirect the power to the Turbo?Seriously takes 15 minutes to warm up on cold day and AC never does perform properly on 30c days. I drive 45,ooo miles a year so fuel efficiency great except ridiculously small fuel capacity has me at the pumps anyway. Really miss my Honda Pilot... I didnt buy a rocket so Im ok with the power of the Turbo. Stereo severely under performs, dealer apologized said thats just how they are.
Anyone who lives in a snow belt notice the collection of snow up under the door ? Never seen so much water (and soap) from a carwash collect inside at the top of back hatch
I'm in Chicago and I haven't had any problems with the heat or a/c, even last week during the -20F temps.
Old 01-08-18, 02:41 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

LOL! Your first paragraph said fantastic and then list of short comings? Speaking of stereo I realized Audi B&O sounds much better crisp and clean sound that is compared to ML stereo on RX hybrid I had.
Old 01-09-18, 09:02 AM
my4girls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buyers remorse

Originally Posted by Htony
LOL! Your first paragraph said fantastic and then list of short comings? Speaking of stereo I realized Audi B&O sounds much better crisp and clean sound that is compared to ML stereo on RX hybrid I had.
because I do really like the exterior and interior appearance. Unfortunately after a short time of driving the cons outweighed the pros
Old 01-09-18, 02:18 PM
Floorance
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

because I do really like the exterior and interior appearance. Unfortunately after a short time of driving the cons outweighed the pros
What were you expecting from a 4 banger compact SUV? The Pilot is a full size SUV with V6. Driving cons? Please elaborate, if you live in a climate that has move severe weather maybe you should have purchased a car more capable of those environments. When I go off roading or to snow, I don't take my NX, but drive my 4Runner. Is it as refined? no, but its more capable.
The following users liked this post:
lexus114 (01-10-18)
Old 12-03-18, 12:10 PM
Grahaminat
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Amen to that! I had (still for sale) a 2013 Ford Escape that had a real sun glass holder, foot activated lift gate, remote start (that I DON'T have to pay Lexus $16 a month to use!) and voice-activation that just WORKS.

I like the comfort and ride of my Lexus NX200t but I AM disappointed in the lack of features.
Old 12-03-18, 04:54 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 203 Posts

Well, I shouldn't have bought it. I fell for interior looks. She's pretty. Black and creme interior just captured me. I still like it.

But now..... No, not my candy. Whiny engine. It is whiny. It has none of that powerful feel wife's RX has. It's bumpy. Roads are real ****ty in Seattle metro, where I commute to. Believe it or not, I simply stopped using NX as commuter and drive 05 RAM with 13.5mpg. But here, I am at peace. It's a truck. Doesn't give, I don't give. NX overall feels too light, tincanny, just not solid enough. Stylish toy. I have no doubt, where you have excellent roads, it shines. But not on potholes and bumps.
Dealership took ten days to figure out clunk in suspension. Just to verdict it with "self loosened bolts". Say WHAT? LEXUS made a car with self loosening suspension bolts? Are you kidding me?
And that stupid bezel reflection on the windshield....
Lousy infotainment. Lousy. Lousy and retarded.
Appointments. Who in the world sticks half of the buttons below the dash and below the knee level? I am supposed to remember, which one is doing what? How hard was it to find a place, where you can see them? ODO buttons? WHY are they covered by steering wheel and light stalk?
If someone will tell me, that where they stuck USB ports and 12V and Aux, is GOOD placement, easy to use, I shall call you insane. It's entire arm twister to use.
And minuscule cargo area.
Too small, too light, does not feel solid, lack of cargo space, not really stellar power train.
Should have not bought it. So, till the next year. Bumper to bumper will be expiring, I'll rid of it. I want SOLID car. SOLID. Lovely toy, sure. But not for too long.
Old 12-03-18, 07:37 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Well, I shouldn't have bought it. I fell for interior looks. She's pretty. Black and creme interior just captured me. I still like it.

But now..... No, not my candy. Whiny engine. It is whiny. It has none of that powerful feel wife's RX has. It's bumpy. Roads are real ****ty in Seattle metro, where I commute to. Believe it or not, I simply stopped using NX as commuter and drive 05 RAM with 13.5mpg. But here, I am at peace. It's a truck. Doesn't give, I don't give. NX overall feels too light, tincanny, just not solid enough. Stylish toy. I have no doubt, where you have excellent roads, it shines. But not on potholes and bumps.
Dealership took ten days to figure out clunk in suspension. Just to verdict it with "self loosened bolts". Say WHAT? LEXUS made a car with self loosening suspension bolts? Are you kidding me?
And that stupid bezel reflection on the windshield....
Lousy infotainment. Lousy. Lousy and retarded.
Appointments. Who in the world sticks half of the buttons below the dash and below the knee level? I am supposed to remember, which one is doing what? How hard was it to find a place, where you can see them? ODO buttons? WHY are they covered by steering wheel and light stalk?
If someone will tell me, that where they stuck USB ports and 12V and Aux, is GOOD placement, easy to use, I shall call you insane. It's entire arm twister to use.
And minuscule cargo area.
Too small, too light, does not feel solid, lack of cargo space, not really stellar power train.
Should have not bought it. So, till the next year. Bumper to bumper will be expiring, I'll rid of it. I want SOLID car. SOLID. Lovely toy, sure. But not for too long.
Life’s too short to own something you hate. Dump it now, why wait.
Old 12-04-18, 08:32 AM
Grahaminat
Driver

Default EXTREME Buyer's Remorse

I'm with you. I've had buyer's remorse ever since buying my 2017 NX200t. Sure, it's a Lexus and there's some prestige that comes with ownership. The ride is comfortable and smooth, but there's just TOO many design flaws and limitations. I didn't do my due diligence before purchasing, so that's on me. However, here are a list of my gripes;

1. No rain sensing wipers. That's just cheap. My five year old Ford Escape has rain sensing wipers!
2. No Apple Car Play or Android Auto.
3. The Scout GPS Link is just a FLAT OUT FAILURE! At least let me use Waze or Google maps to link to the connected navigation. Scout GPS link has prompted me on the highway TWICE now to "Make a U-turn when possible."
4. The storage space is tiny. I have two gym bags & a "go-bag" back there and I barely have room for a gallon of milk from the grocery store!
5. Voice commands are hit or miss. Sometimes I've said, "Play Bluetooth audio" and the music just plays. Other times, I've said, "Play Bluetooth audio" and the response has been, "The connected source is Bluetooth audio."
6. No dedicated storage for holding sunglasses. Again, my five year old Ford Escape has a place for storing sunglasses. My 08' Honda Accord had a place for storing sunglasses!
7. The presets for setting the seat memories are UNDER the armrest. I literally have to OPEN the door to get enough light to see them in order to preset them.
8. The display shows ALL radio stations stacked on top of one another on the left side of the screen near the driver, while the "What's playing now" portion of the screen is nearer the passenger seat and tiny. How about a traditional panel of physical buttons across the bottom of the screen so the smallish screen could display more information? Right now I'm straining to read the description on the screen and it'll be something like "Classic Rewind, Blue Oyster Cult, Burnin' for" with the rest of the song title CUT OFF because it doesn't fit in the 2 x 2 inch area of the screen that was provided!
9. Remote start is a "service" that I would have to pay an extra $16 a month for. Again, my five year old Ford Escape has remote start as part of the car and I don't have to pay anything to remotely start my car! (Cue audience response: "Well why don't you just buy another Ford?!?" I think I might!)
10. It's an option now on the 2019's but I do miss the foot activated lift gate that my Ford has, ahem, standard. Of course that doesn't really matter because I'm not going to get much in that trunk space anyway!

There are several other complaints like having to scroll through each radio preset instead of simply going directly to the station. But at this juncture, I'm out of breath and wishing I'd done more research.
Old 12-04-18, 08:44 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Grahaminat
I'm with you. I've had buyer's remorse ever since buying my 2017 NX200t. Sure, it's a Lexus and there's some prestige that comes with ownership. The ride is comfortable and smooth, but there's just TOO many design flaws and limitations. I didn't do my due diligence before purchasing, so that's on me. However, here are a list of my gripes;

1. No rain sensing wipers. That's just cheap. My five year old Ford Escape has rain sensing wipers!
2. No Apple Car Play or Android Auto.
3. The Scout GPS Link is just a FLAT OUT FAILURE! At least let me use Waze or Google maps to link to the connected navigation. Scout GPS link has prompted me on the highway TWICE now to "Make a U-turn when possible."
4. The storage space is tiny. I have two gym bags & a "go-bag" back there and I barely have room for a gallon of milk from the grocery store!
5. Voice commands are hit or miss. Sometimes I've said, "Play Bluetooth audio" and the music just plays. Other times, I've said, "Play Bluetooth audio" and the response has been, "The connected source is Bluetooth audio."
6. No dedicated storage for holding sunglasses. Again, my five year old Ford Escape has a place for storing sunglasses. My 08' Honda Accord had a place for storing sunglasses!
7. The presets for setting the seat memories are UNDER the armrest. I literally have to OPEN the door to get enough light to see them in order to preset them.
8. The display shows ALL radio stations stacked on top of one another on the left side of the screen near the driver, while the "What's playing now" portion of the screen is nearer the passenger seat and tiny. How about a traditional panel of physical buttons across the bottom of the screen so the smallish screen could display more information? Right now I'm straining to read the description on the screen and it'll be something like "Classic Rewind, Blue Oyster Cult, Burnin' for" with the rest of the song title CUT OFF because it doesn't fit in the 2 x 2 inch area of the screen that was provided!
9. Remote start is a "service" that I would have to pay an extra $16 a month for. Again, my five year old Ford Escape has remote start as part of the car and I don't have to pay anything to remotely start my car! (Cue audience response: "Well why don't you just buy another Ford?!?" I think I might!)
10. It's an option now on the 2019's but I do miss the foot activated lift gate that my Ford has, ahem, standard. Of course that doesn't really matter because I'm not going to get much in that trunk space anyway!

There are several other complaints like having to scroll through each radio preset instead of simply going directly to the station. But at this juncture, I'm out of breath and wishing I'd done more research.
6. there is dedicated storage for sunglasses, its in the center console.

4. storage space is also dependent on your use, i keep a large uppababy vista stroller in there and am still able to comfortably bring large costco runs home without issue. Yes the space is smaller than cars with squared off rear ends, but the car looks better than those, so that is the tradeoff.

I like the car a lot, i do have some things I don't like, the multimedia sucks and the 12v/usb sockets are in stupid places. Luckily, I can fix most of those things with aftermarket additions if i choose to. I bought used and it was still very expensive, i sure did a lot of research so I wouldn't end up in a situation that I didn't like the car after the fact. I actually read the manual before buying the car lol.

So i agree its far from perfect, but I am happy with the car and it does what I need it to do. And before Mr. ukranian kozmonot mentions the Acura RDX again :P, its only rated to tow 1500, while the nx tows 2000 and I need that full towing capacity
Old 12-04-18, 12:44 PM
Grahaminat
Driver

True, it's not all bad. There's a couple of things that the designers at Lexus got right. I REALLY like the ventilated seats. I live in Georgia and the idea of heated seats never did much for me but A/C - Ventilated seats was a requirement for my next vehicle.

I also like the lights over the mirror that are proximity activated. My Ford did not have any internal lights over the mirror. That threw me for a loop.

I also like the coin/change tray that's located inside the center arm rest. My Ford had a deep well under the center armrest. I had to order an aftermarket change holder just to keep change in!

I guess there is no perfect vehicle. All of them have their pros and cons.

Quick Reply: Nx200t buyers remorse ??