NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Triple Beam Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 08:05 AM
trailhiker
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Triple Beam Headlight

Wondering about opinions on whether the triple beam headlight option is worth the add on for the 2018? I’ve read mixed options but wondering about whether it is worth the $1500. Is the light and visibility a lot different from the regular lights. Thanks for any help
Old 10-17-17, 09:38 AM
GreentAzn
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Will definitely be a special option that you'll likely have to custom order. All of the 2018 NX I've seen, F-Sport and non F-Sport does not have this in the package.

The triple beam is very aesthetically appealing, I've seen video and reviews on it being good as well. But I think it's a $1550 option
Old 10-17-17, 04:30 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by trailhiker
Wondering about opinions on whether the triple beam headlight option is worth the add on for the 2018? I’ve read mixed options but wondering about whether it is worth the $1500. Is the light and visibility a lot different from the regular lights. Thanks for any help
Don't know if the light from the triple-beam is any brighter or better, but I know I would not have purchased my F-Sport without the aesthetically pleasing triple-beam. It would have been a deal breaker!
Old 10-17-17, 05:17 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Here are the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety ratings for the various NX headlight options.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...-door-suv/2017

The ratings for the NX are pretty similar to those for most other cars in that LED (especially hi-beam) options don't project nearly as far as do other types of headlights. While the Triple Beam and other LED headlights definitely have a "cool factor", performance is marginal.

If you do most of your driving in well-lit urban areas, the shorter projection range likely won't make much difference, and the "cool factor" of the triple-beams might make them a good choice. But, if you do driving outside of urban areas on unlit and/or unmarked roads, the shorter projection range will become evident.
Old 10-17-17, 05:43 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Here are the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety ratings for the various NX headlight options.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...-door-suv/2017

The ratings for the NX are pretty similar to those for most other cars in that LED (especially hi-beam) options don't project nearly as far as do other types of headlights. While the Triple Beam and other LED headlights definitely have a "cool factor", performance is marginal.

If you do most of your driving in well-lit urban areas, the shorter projection range likely won't make much difference, and the "cool factor" of the triple-beams might make them a good choice. But, if you do driving outside of urban areas on unlit and/or unmarked roads, the shorter projection range will become evident.
I take IIHS headlight ratings with a large grain of salt, considering how archaic many of their regulations are. I haven’t come across any HID or LED equipped cars that had deficient output.
Old 10-17-17, 05:48 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

My wife and I really like our triple beams. We compared the light on city streets and while it may not project farther in the distance, it was definitely providing more light on the corners of the vehicle. It was an evening test drive that finally pulled us off the fence when we traded in our 2013 RX with HID headlights. Now are they worth the $1500, probably only in an aesthetics sense. Would I buy them again - even at 1500? You bet!
Old 10-18-17, 02:35 AM
zkl2003
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think the triple LED will make a lot brighter. However, I would totally go for it! For my F sport, I love the triple LED and front grill and that is the reason why I picked F sport rather than regular. I would def get it if you care about the look, but if you don't care outside's look, maybe just go with the regular and save the 1500.
Old 10-18-17, 03:50 AM
trailhiker
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info and responses. Much appreciated
Old 10-18-17, 07:26 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I LOVE the triple headlights. In fact the lighting on my NX in general is one of my favorite things about it! Headlights, taillights, running lights, blinkers, and even the door handles! I do wonder why the back blinkers aren't LED, but I changed them.

I think the issue with LED headlights is as much about where they have chosen to point the light as it is the amount of light. The cutoff on the top edge is very abrupt, and not very high. A lot of people are adjusting the LEDs to point them higher, with no apparent negative effect to other drivers. It seems to solve their issue. I also think that there is better lighting to the sides of the road with the LEDs. In any event, they are WAY better than the halogens that were on my 2015 CT!!! Those were dangerous!! I will NEVER have another car with halogen headlights. That's why I bought the NX instead of a 4 Runner or Tacoma. Really glad I did!

I've read that the RX headlights are all LED (including the ones that look like HID). Are people complaining about those?

Last edited by Woodrow; 10-18-17 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-18-17, 09:07 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The issue with the triple beam headlights is not with the triple beam headlights, themselves. Instead, it is with LED headlights. LED headlights, regardless of whether they are aimed higher, just don't project out as far as do HID or even halogen headlights.

For those who question the testing done by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, you don't need to take their word for it. Just do a Google Search, and you will find the results of numerous tests that confirm that LED headlights are not capable of projecting light at the same distances as HID or halogen headlights.

When I traded my 2013 ES with HID low beams and halogen high beams for a 2017 ES with bi-LED low and and high beams, the first thing that I noticed on my after-dark drive home from the dealership was the shorter/smaller area of illumination. That is when I started to do reading that consistently confirmed my impressions about LED lights not projecting as well as alternative types of headlights.

As I said in a previous post, for those whose driving is all in well-lit urban areas, they are probably not going to notice at all the smaller/shorter area of illumination. But, for those whose driving is often on unlit and unmarked non-urban roads, the difference is quite apparent, and that shorter projection distance can make the difference between being able to react quickly enough to a deer or other animal in the road and not being able to do so.

If I lived in an urban area, I might well place a priority on the aesthetics of LED lights, but, with not living in an urban area, I wish that my car did not have LED headlights.
Old 10-18-17, 09:43 AM
Suspendmix
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Would agree with the posters on here - love the cool factor but I can't say its worth the 1500 premium though from what i remember, it was the only way I could get pre-collision on my NX so its moot for me. The illumination distance problem was very noticeable when i first drove on deserted 2 lane freeway (I5 from SF to LA) early morning after owning the car for a few weeks. I thought my distance vision had deteriorated so got new glasses when I got back. It was only after reading about the lighting problems on this forum that I realized the LED's were aimed too low so I just adjusted the beams upwards and all is good now.
Old 10-19-17, 01:10 PM
roboroostr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. Does the dealership ever have models in stock with the triple beam headlights or are these basically made to order?
Old 10-19-17, 01:32 PM
MiFu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently got an 17 F-sport with the triple beam headlights. Wondering if these lights come with auto-leveling feature? My 14 RX F-sport when turning the headlights on, you can actually see the beam of the headlight go down and back up if it's shining against a wall. I don't notice that happening with my NX.
Old 10-19-17, 10:26 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roboroostr
Hi guys. Does the dealership ever have models in stock with the triple beam headlights or are these basically made to order?
I bought my triple beam F-Sport off the lot, and yesterday when I had the car in for it's 6 month check I noticed at least 3 triple-beamers sitting there....interestingly, none were on the showroom floor.
The following users liked this post:
roboroostr (10-21-17)
Old 10-19-17, 10:36 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MiFu
I recently got an 17 F-sport with the triple beam headlights. Wondering if these lights come with auto-leveling feature? My 14 RX F-sport when turning the headlights on, you can actually see the beam of the headlight go down and back up if it's shining against a wall. I don't notice that happening with my NX.
Nope, no auto leveling.

I too once had an RX with that feature, but I admit to not consciously missing it.

BTW, my dealer was more than happy to raise the headlight aiming point for me free of charge yesterday when the car was in for it's 6 month checkup.

Quick Reply: Triple Beam Headlight