Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2015 up NX300H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX300H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other first generation NX models.

2018 Lexus NX 300h AWD Luxury Package vs. 2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid LUXE AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 03:58 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2018 Lexus NX 300h AWD Luxury Package vs. 2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid LUXE AWD

We’re in the market for something to replace our 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Navigation and 167,000 miles. The two most important things are that the car be a hybrid and AWD. For us, that left the RAV4 hybrid (rattle box), Highlander Hybrid (too big), Lexus NXh, and Infiniti Q50. We already have a 2016 RX 450h and we’ve narrowed down our choice to a fully loaded 2018 NX 300h with Luxury Package, etc. and a fully loaded Infiniti Q50 Hybrid LUXE AWD. Yes, both are completely different machines…but both have their ups and downs. Also, both are priced surprisingly similarly. So, I need the fine folks at ClubLexus to convince me either way. Now yes, I know I’m asking a Lexus Forum, but I’m biased toward the Lexus with the rest of my family biased toward the Infiniti. As far as I see it, here are the pros and cons of each. PS, I have driven the pre-refresh version of both cars and am basing my assessment from that.

Ties: Safety Tech, Overall Price, Japanese Character, Design (except NX grille), Similar Levels of Convenience Technology

Pros of NX: Cargo volume and overall practicality, Reliability, Ventilated Front Seats, Passenger Volume vs. Size (smaller than Q50, but feels roomier), Slightly Better MPG, Regular Gas, likely less cost to maintain, better 360 Camera.

Cons of NX: Sound System, Front Grille, 194 hp, Remote Touch, Felt Less Refined, Previous Generation Hybrid Tech feels old, less robust AWD setup, 2.9% APR and less negotiation.

Pros of Q50: Driving Dynamics (not as good as an IS but why do I compare an SUV to a sedan), 360 hp with 0-60 of 4.8 seconds, interior feels more premium-especially the center console, better NVH to the NX, smoother highway drive, really nice 16-speaker Bose audio, ATTESA AWD system, 0% APR and heavy discount ($6000 off).

Cons of Q50: No cargo room (9.4 cubic feet), Crappy looking wood, premium gas, less than stellar predicted reliability (mostly due to multimedia interface), will likely cost more to maintain.

So, based on the fact that this is replacing a Honda Accord…what should I get? The car will do a lot of highway miles and will see a decent amount of snow. I’m not too concerned with the cargo space since we have the RX already. We also keep out cars for a really long time so which do you think will las 10+ years and 150,000+ miles. I know Infiniti’s are good since our M35x has 226,000 miles on it! But, Lexus is vaulted for its reliability. Ugh…what to do…

On a side note, any ideas on when the 2019 ES hybrid is getting here and what are the chances it will have AWD?

Oh…and sorry for the long post…
Old 10-11-17, 06:29 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

The 2018 NX will have a larger remote touch pad. The same one in the LC. As far as maintenance here is a list of the rankings of all the manufacturers. Reliability, Lexus has been #1 for six years in a row ranked by J D Power.

Old 10-11-17, 07:44 PM
batchelor
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a hard time believing that Lexus is one of the lower car maintaince costs based on what they charge for service.
Old 10-12-17, 03:20 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by batchelor
I have a hard time believing that Lexus is one of the lower car maintaince costs based on what they charge for service.
Based on the fact they are #1 in reliability here is my routine that has worked for well over a million miles on both our vehicles. It is very cheap.
Every 10,000 miles an oil change and tire rotation is needed. At the Lexus dealership this should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $20 labor.
Old 10-12-17, 05:43 AM
batchelor
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am sure you are correct that the servicing can be cheaper than the dealer service but that would be the case for any car. I was referring to Lexus dealer service costs versus other manufacturers. My belief is that it is not amongst the least expensive. I do appreciate your response and advice though.
Old 10-12-17, 06:48 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Other then oil changes and tire rotations my car, a 2015 300h, that’s turning 3 years old has only been in once for a service issue.
That one service issue was the small piece of molding coming lose just behind the left front wheel. It was covered under the warranty of course. Based on my example I can see why maintance costs are lower for a Lexus.
Old 10-12-17, 10:04 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Since you already have a RX, why not replace your Accord with a 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid that gets 49mph? My neighbor has one and loves it.
Old 10-12-17, 10:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I saw this thread over on Car Chat. A member bought a Q50 (non-hybrid). Might be some additional information in it for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-aka-fx50.html
Old 10-12-17, 09:17 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Since you already have a RX, why not replace your Accord with a 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid that gets 49mph? My neighbor has one and loves it.
NEVER AGAIN!!! I'm done with Hondas/Acuras! My family has never had good luck with them. We've had a 1989 Accord Coupe, 2001 Acura MDX and now the 2008 Honda Accord. Absolutely terrible cars. In terms of QDR, they are Dependable, in that they get me from point A to B but terrible Quality and questionable Reliability. Thank god I got the extend warranty on the Accord, more than paid for itself!!!

Plus, I want AWD and preferably a luxury car for the long highway miles it will be doing.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I saw this thread over on Car Chat. A member bought a Q50 (non-hybrid). Might be some additional information in it for you. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-aka-fx50.html
Thanks for the link. I looked it over I seem to have a similar dilemma...do I pick fun or practicality? I already have the RX which is a really practical, comfortable and luxurious car, and the Infiniti M is a really fun car, connected, and fairly luxurious as well (but drinks gas!). Apparently, I can't have my cake and eat it. The NX would be another practical car and the Q50 would be another fun car.

And I can't ignore the reliability factor everyone mentioned...
Old 10-13-17, 04:28 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Curryolla
NEVER AGAIN!!! I'm done with Hondas/Acuras! My family has never had good luck with them. We've had a 1989 Accord Coupe, 2001 Acura MDX and now the 2008 Honda Accord. Absolutely terrible cars. In terms of QDR, they are Dependable, in that they get me from point A to B but terrible Quality and questionable Reliability. Thank god I got the extend warranty on the Accord, more than paid for itself!!
I'm puzzled, why would you keep the Accord for 167,000 mi if they are so terrible?
Old 10-13-17, 04:29 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

I am sure you are correct that the servicing can be cheaper than the dealer service but that would be the case for any car. I was referring to Lexus dealer service costs versus other manufacturers. My belief is that it is not amongst the least expensive. I do appreciate your response and advice though.
With the reliablilty and cost to repair doing what I do for maintenance would be suicidal with a BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc.
Old 10-13-17, 01:20 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I'm puzzled, why would you keep the Accord for 167,000 mi if they are so terrible?
Trust me, I didn't want to keep it for 167,000 miles but we did for several reasons. First, and most importantly, the car was paid off when we bought the car. The lack of a monthly payment made the car worthwhile keeping. The problems started about a year after ownership so trading it in and taking the depreciation hit was out of the question. My Dad's Infiniti was starting to rack-up the miles (currently at 226,000) so he started driving the Accord to "distribute the load". Plus, he really liked the V6 power, but I don't think all those miles did the Honda any favors. I drove it to college for a year and it drove me nuts, so I switched back to my 1998 Toyota Corolla. Then, my younger brother started driving and so he got the car. And now that he's in college...well here we are now.

Like I said, the car is reliable/dependable but low quality. The latest problem of excessive oil consumption is what is getting me to get rid of it (among other problems).
Old 10-13-17, 07:07 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Curryolla
Like I said, the car is reliable/dependable but low quality. The latest problem of excessive oil consumption is what is getting me to get rid of it (among other problems).
So if the car is reliable/dependable, how is it low quality. Can you please elaborate? I am not trying imply anything here but Honda engines were never known for oil consumption. German car engines, yes, but not Honda. Out of all Japanese made cars, Honda has the most reliable engines.
Old 10-13-17, 09:17 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
So if the car is reliable/dependable, how is it low quality. Can you please elaborate? I am not trying imply anything here but Honda engines were never known for oil consumption. German car engines, yes, but not Honda. Out of all Japanese made cars, Honda has the most reliable engines.
I've always refrered to the accronim, QDR when refering to cars (quailty, dependibility and reliability). I never really understood the difference between reliability and dependability. But, I do believe a car can be really high quality but crap reliabiltiy. Take a Merecedes for example. Interior quality, fit and finish, etc. are usually quite good but they are awefully unreliabile. In the case of my 2008 Honda Accord V6, it's never left me stranded on the side of the road or failed to start in the morning (aside from a bad battery). Where the car has been problematic is with this list of issues: drivers door power switch module replaced, coolant tank reservoir, peeling leather, torn armrest, Variable Cylinder Management Jerkiness, Transmission Rubber Band effect from second to third gear and hesitation to fourth gear, Lumbar stuck on full out position, minor (but still annoying) rust bubble in rear fender, check engine light goes on randomly and then shuts off and pulls no codes, trim panels are popping off, there are new rattles every few months, and now it seems to have a oil consumption problem.

All these problems make me seem like a really bad car owner...but this car has been pampered like all my other cars. Heck, we still have a 1998 Corolla with 140,000 miles, 1999 Land Cruiser with 130,000 miles, and a 2007 Infiniti M35x with 230,000. All of them work beautifully...except for the Honda. We used to have a 2001 MDX and it too had a lot of problems. I just think we have bad luck with Hondas.

Ether way, I've got the Accord scheduled for an oil change next week (every 5000 miles or 6 months). Heck, the oil life indicator usually says 30% life remaining when I change the oil. I'll be having the mechanic check the PCV valve since apparently that might fix the oil comsumption.

Just to show that I'm not full of hot air, check these sites out. Others have reported similar issues to mine:
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2008/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...g-oil-2975811/
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...umption-46240/

Oh...and photos of the car...

And finally, July 4th family photos...

Old 10-14-17, 06:20 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

Firstly, great set of cars and all, as it seems, in good shape, or at least have been taken care off. Kudos to you/your dad.

You've been driving Accord for 167K miles and should expect some maintenance issues here and there. Switches that are use frequently to be replaced, leather torn on driver seat or arm rest, etc. This is normal wear and tear. Some people have more and others have less of these issues, but it is not abnormal for 9 year old car with that mileage to show its age.

Regarding oil consumption: Honda sold about 15 million Accords in the US alone, and about 373,000 in 2008. I am sure there are some with engine problems. The website you referred to shows that there are 375 complains about oil consumption for 2008 Accord. This is 0.1% of total Accords sold that year. We do not know how many of these because of poor maintenance, and I am sure there are some.

Any automaker will be proud to have 0.1% defects, as Honda has. For comparison, Audi/Volkswagen had lawsuit as most of their engines consumed oil at ridiculous rates. Toyota was known for engine sludge issues in early days. Honda was never known for oil consumption.

I owned two Acuras 3.2TL. Each was driven pretty hard and lived for many miles. One is still running strong (sold it to somebody I know). Both racked up ton of miles (well over 100K). Both cars never burned oil. Not even a drop of it. However, Honda cars are indeed known for front brakes issue (mostly warping rotors).

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales.../honda-accord/

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus NX 300h AWD Luxury Package vs. 2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid LUXE AWD