NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Any one planning for Navigation update 15.1 ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 11:27 AM
Naren
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one planning for Navigation update 15.1 ??

Any one planning for navigation update 15.1 its around $ 210, Is it worth full to update now ? or later ...
Old 11-10-15, 12:02 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Naren
Any one planning for navigation update 15.1 its around $ 210, Is it worth full to update now ? or later ...
Since Lexus only issues updates once yearly (in the Fall, this year's update being already available) there is no point in waiting unless you're planning to wait for the 2016 update.

Note: The 2015 Update contains changes and updates in existence as of September, 2014. The updates are always a year behind, so new roads can take a year or two to show up.
Old 11-16-15, 09:37 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got my nav/system updated today. It took close to 30 mins to load it in.
Attached Thumbnails Any one planning for Navigation update 15.1 ??-image.jpeg  
Old 11-16-15, 10:01 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cripsy
I just got my nav/system updated today. It took close to 30 mins to load it in.
you don't just replace the microSD card? Or does it do a copy of the maps and just use the card to verify a license?
Old 11-16-15, 10:42 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Originally Posted by typocl
you don't just replace the microSD card? Or does it do a copy of the maps and just use the card to verify a license?
Yes, the sd card loads all the maps, and data into the system, and the card is used for security. It is a 16gb card, but I am not sure how much of the space is used. They gave me the old card back so I may pop it in my computer and see what's on it.
Old 11-16-15, 11:09 AM
Naren
Driver School Candidate

Nice.. total $210 ? or they charged installation also ?/

Did you notice any major changes ??
Old 11-16-15, 11:12 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Nice.. total $210 ? or they charged installation also ?/

Did you notice any major changes ??
There was no installation charge, otherwise I would have done it myself. I believe it was $190 for the update. I haven't noticed many changes yet because I haven't driven in it much since the update.. There was a file online that shows all of the changes in the upgrade.
Old 11-16-15, 11:24 AM
typocl
Instructor

Yes, the sd card loads all the maps, and data into the system, and the card is used for security. It is a 16gb card, but I am not sure how much of the space is used. They gave me the old card back so I may pop it in my computer and see what's on it.
I popped mine into my computer a while ago. Saw nothing...didn't take time to see if I could do a DD of it onto another card, but I think they use the "secure" feature of these cards.
Old 11-16-15, 12:39 PM
cripsy
Rookie

I popped mine into my computer a while ago. Saw nothing...didn't take time to see if I could do a DD of it onto another card, but I think they use the "secure" feature of these cards.
I just tried the card and it did not find anything either. It recognized the card but it did not read anything. I am sure I could have formatted it but I just left it alone.
Old 11-16-15, 08:58 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

How much free space was on this card? If it was close to 16GB, then they may have deleted the contents. Otherwise, it may have a hidden partition or hidden & encrypted file(s).
Old 11-17-15, 06:32 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Originally Posted by NXOwner
How much free space was on this card? If it was close to 16GB, then they may have deleted the contents. Otherwise, it may have a hidden partition or hidden & encrypted file(s).
The card was pretty much full, the free space was like 200k. Of course it is possible that it was just partitioned with the security software and all we can see is 200k. But taking 30 mins to load sounds like a pretty big file.
Old 11-17-15, 02:44 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

But taking 30 mins to load sounds like a pretty big file.
The 30 minutes doesn't mean it spent the whole time copying a file(s) to the system. It was probably processing each and every update to the main data store, either one-by-one or in batches.
Old 02-12-16, 11:56 AM
LBaker004
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down What's really new in the NAV 15.1?

I recently had the local Lexus dealer install the 15.1 NAV upgrade in my 2007 ES350 ($230). It was the first time I'd upgraded and I was told there were "a lot" of improvements and updated mapping. So I expected roads that have existed for 5 or more years to be on the map. They aren't. In fact, I have yet to find ANY new roads or NAV improvements. Am I missing something? What did they mean by "improvements" or "a lot"? And of course, I can't return it and the dealer had no recourse for me except to buy a newer model.

I love Lexus but I'm SO disgusted with this, I'm ready to buy a Beemer. Just posting so people considering it will ask more questions and have more realistic expectations.
Old 02-12-16, 12:17 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Not unusual. I've had the same experience with other makes. They do seem to update commercial establishments better than they do the roads.
Old 02-12-16, 12:34 PM
typocl
Instructor

I guess one way to do things is to ask to see the nav of a new vehicle and check some streets out to make sure they're there before purchasing the update.

Quick Reply: Any one planning for Navigation update 15.1 ??