NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2018 NX gets more features, lower price

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-17, 03:16 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 2018 NX gets more features, lower price

This is an awesome move by Lexus, and should have the competition a little wary. As I recall, they blew the sales targets out of the water in Japan, and sales have been strong here too. Check out the full breakdown of the new features here.
Old 10-06-17, 03:55 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Well I wouldn't say the competition should worry much, yeah the NX is one of the most profited vehicles in the current line up based on sales. However, it's missing some key features that other Luxury car makers are already including and some have been for years now such as a option for a premium sound system like the ML and heads up display both of which are not available even on the 2018. These are options that should be available to the consumer to purchase especially from a Luxury car maker like Lexus. BMW has had both these feature for years.

I can can only assume that Lexus doesn't think the NX needs these items. Is this vehicle catered to women to don't care about these options thus Lexus doesn't opt for them or are men not asking for them or is Lexus just behind on technology or no money to spend on these kind of options? I don't know.
Old 10-06-17, 04:30 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Lower price? It's priced higher here in Canada starting in 2018. We also had a bunch of features already available that you didn't have in the states. My 2016 has the HUD and AVS and such.
Old 10-06-17, 08:45 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Well I wouldn't say the competition should worry much, yeah the NX is one of the most profited vehicles in the current line up based on sales. However, it's missing some key features that other Luxury car makers are already including and some have been for years now such as a option for a premium sound system like the ML and heads up display both of which are not available even on the 2018. These are options that should be available to the consumer to purchase especially from a Luxury car maker like Lexus. BMW has had both these feature for years.

I can can only assume that Lexus doesn't think the NX needs these items. Is this vehicle catered to women to don't care about these options thus Lexus doesn't opt for them or are men not asking for them or is Lexus just behind on technology or no money to spend on these kind of options? I don't know.
Those are good points! I've wanted the NX in the States to have Mark Levinson, HUD, 360 degree camera. Even the Prius has HUD and advanced parking support. We had a loaded HS 250h in 2010 which had HUD, pre collision, front camera, active lane keep assist. It was awesome!
Old 10-07-17, 03:12 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350

Very disappointed in no HUD but even more in no panoramic roof. There are Youtube clips showing one that looks great but found out will not be available in the United States. Probably will be a deal breaker for us. Rented a Buick Lacrosse while in Florida for two weeks last winter. At first thought HUD might be gimmicky. Very soon realized how convenient it is having the display on the windshield. Wife and I both said must have in next vehicles. Listening Lexus engineers, it was a Buick Lacrosse.

Last edited by Freds430; 10-07-17 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-07-17, 12:45 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I would guess these are merely marketing decisions. They don't want the NX to draw sales away from the RX so they limit the features in order to push buyers to the RX for those options. It may also have to do with pricing - they don't want a loaded NX to price out in the neighborhood of a mid range RX? It is hard to speculate as to what these marketing types are thinking but with the size increase of the latest generation of RX it is simply too large for the two of us. With that in mind, the packaging of options would not influence our choice of vehicle models but perhaps Lexus has statistics that suggest the average buyer is more influenced by those packaging choices.

In terms of including the Safety equipment in the base model, they probably had to do that in order to compete effectively with other cars in their class, such as the RDX which already included those features in their base model. That fact really had us on the fence when purchased our NX. The RDX was an extremely close second choice as it had more safety options and a lower base price.
Old 10-07-17, 02:06 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430

Very disappointed in no HUD but even more in no panoramic roof. There are Youtube clips showing one that looks great but found out will not be available in the United States. Probably will be a deal breaker for us. Rented a Buick Lacrosse while in Florida for two weeks last winter. At first thought HUD might be gimmicky. Very soon realized how convenient it is having the display on the windshield. Wife and I both said must have in next vehicles. Listening Lexus engineers, it was a Buick Lacrosse.
But how did you like that Buick stop/start engine - I also rented one a few months ago and it was horrendous.
Old 10-07-17, 02:34 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Lack of features other lesser brand cars have will ultimately drive buyers elsewhere.
Old 10-07-17, 04:50 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
But how did you like that Buick stop/start engine - I also rented one a few months ago and it was horrendous.
Don't think it had the stop/start. Besides the HUD, the lane departure warning when the blinker was on included vibration of the seat. It got your attention. Massage seats and a great wireless charger slot. But it was a Buick!!!
Old 10-07-17, 06:12 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Freds430
Don't think it had the stop/start. Besides the HUD, the lane departure warning when the blinker was on included vibration of the seat. It got your attention. Massage seats and a great wireless charger slot. But it was a Buick!!!
I believe they all have it for 2017 forward with no option to disable it. I couldn't believe that car fully loaded listed for 50k. Outrageous.
Old 10-07-17, 06:17 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by aztr0
Lack of features other lesser brand cars have will ultimately drive buyers elsewhere.
And yet the reliability/quality will keep people around.
Old 10-08-17, 07:04 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

They had to add the safety features just to keep up.

I sure hope the Nav system and touchpad are improved as they say. The current nav system is a disaster. I will be testing it out when my dealer gets one in.

No android auto hurts also.
Old 10-08-17, 02:57 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rogerh00
They had to add the safety features just to keep up.

I sure hope the Nav system and touchpad are improved as they say. The current nav system is a disaster. I will be testing it out when my dealer gets one in.

No android auto hurts also.
I guess they are reluctant to add Android auto or Crapple Carplay for fear of cannibalizing their Enform revenue.
Old 10-10-17, 08:07 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Lower price? It's priced higher here in Canada starting in 2018. We also had a bunch of features already available that you didn't have in the states. My 2016 has the HUD and AVS and such.
Yeah, I don't think this is the first time a Canadian Lexus had more — or at least different — options. I tend to think North American cars are generally the same, and have to be reminded every couple of years. Ha ha.
Old 10-10-17, 08:08 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I guess they are reluctant to add Android auto or Crapple Carplay for fear of cannibalizing their Enform revenue.
I guess they don't want to surrender the dash to Apple and Google? But it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. People love their devices, and those systems work pretty well.

Quick Reply: 2018 NX gets more features, lower price