NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Pre-Collision System w/All - Speed Cruise Control.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 04:50 PM
ML350BT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pre-Collision System w/All - Speed Cruise Control.

Hello All,
Getting ready to buy 2017 NX 200t, and have one question, not sure if salesperson telling me the right thing.

Does Pre-Collision System includes Emergency Brakes? When soddenly car in-front of you stops, does this system stop your NX?
Sales. Man telling Yes, but WiKi telling me it just getting all ready for collision thats all.

What you know about this system?
Thank you All and happy driving!
Old 09-21-17, 06:55 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

First, I believe that, for 2017, the option available on the NX was not all-speed cruise control. Instead, I believe it is the high speed radar cruise control system. I'm sure that someone will correct me if my understanding is not correct.

I don't have an NX, but, for my ES, the high speed radar cruise control works at speeds above about 30 mph. And, yes, it does have automatic braking, which works at speeds between 7 mph and 110 mph. I would assume that the NX system is similar.

Also, note that, with the NX for the 2015 to 2017 model years, vehicles with the pre-collision system (and other safety systems) were quite rare. For the 2018 NX, the Safety System+ will be standard on all NX.
Old 09-21-17, 08:23 PM
ML350BT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lesz
First, I believe that, for 2017, the option available on the NX was not all-speed cruise control. Instead, I believe it is the high speed radar cruise control system. I'm sure that someone will correct me if my understanding is not correct.

I don't have an NX, but, for my ES, the high speed radar cruise control works at speeds above about 30 mph. And, yes, it does have automatic braking, which works at speeds between 7 mph and 110 mph. I would assume that the NX system is similar.

Also, note that, with the NX for the 2015 to 2017 model years, vehicles with the pre-collision system (and other safety systems) were quite rare. For the 2018 NX, the Safety System+ will be standard on all NX.
Hi lesz, thank you for your response, please take a look at attached file, this is the NX build sheet what I got from the dealer.
In the optional it shows:
Pre-Collision System w/All-Speed
Cruise Control
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
37A182.pdf (264.3 KB, 251 views)
Old 09-21-17, 09:04 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by ML350BT
Hi lesz, thank you for your response, please take a look at attached file, this is the NX build sheet what I got from the dealer.
In the optional it shows:
Pre-Collision System w/All-Speed
Cruise Control
I thought that the NX radar cruise control option was for the high speed version, but I evidently was incorrect. In any case, it still would have automatic emergency braking.

I'll add that that particular vehicle has a rare combination of equipment. Not only are 2015-2017 NXs with the various safety options rare, but most with those safety features for the 2015-2017 model years that did have the safety options were Luxury package NXs.

Last edited by lesz; 09-21-17 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-23-17, 09:42 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

If PCS detects an accident is imminent (with a car or pedestrian), it will provide an audible alarm and prime the brakes. If no response is taken, it will engage full force braking. I believe you have to be below 20 mph for it to completely avoid the accident (limited to physics). PCS is always active unless you manually switch it off.

All-speed DRCC will let you set your speed up to 109 mph. It is able to brake completely to 0 mph if the car in front stops. Then you just need to step on the gas or tap the stalk up and it will re-engage.
Old 09-24-17, 11:18 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
If PCS detects an accident is imminent (with a car or pedestrian), it will provide an audible alarm and prime the brakes. If no response is taken, it will engage full force braking. I believe you have to be below 20 mph for it to completely avoid the accident (limited to physics). PCS is always active unless you manually switch it off.

All-speed DRCC will let you set your speed up to 109 mph. It is able to brake completely to 0 mph if the car in front stops. Then you just need to step on the gas or tap the stalk up and it will re-engage.
From experience, I can attest that both statements above are true...except that I was only doing about 55mph with cruise contol engaged when a semi-truck and trailer swerved in front of me to avoid an accident ahead of him....at which point my F-Sport braked hard to avoid a collision.

First couple of times the audible alarm and flashing red light came on warning of imminent danger I wondered what it was, but figured it out the third time and I was able to read the warning on the information screen....I was just driving a little too aggressively for the system's liking.
Old 09-25-17, 02:35 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The PCS is adjustable to three distances (similar to Dynamic Speed Control settings) if you find
the system cutting into your Tailgate Party time. It can also be turned off for track time but will always
default back on (to the chosen distance) with each restart.
Old 09-25-17, 05:13 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcomer
The PCS is adjustable to three distances (similar to Dynamic Speed Control settings) if you find
the system cutting into your Tailgate Party time. It can also be turned off for track time but will always
default back on (to the chosen distance) with each restart.
"Normally" I like the fmid setting, but when it really gets crazy on the interstate with lots of traffic moving about I go to the "tail-gate" setting....otherwise others tend to dart into the safety cushion space making my NX brake or slow abruptly.

Amazing how much less tired I am after a long trip because the cruise control kept the preset distance from the vehicle ahead and I did not have to worry about slowing or speeding up. Looking forward to one day having fully autonomous driving on long trips and those all too frequent stop and go days.....
Old 09-26-17, 05:19 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Drive Mode affects the throttle response, ECO is softer, Sport is quicker... Try the Sport Mode
setting while using Dynamic Speed control. It will respond more "humanly" and maintain a
bit more consistent gap to the car ahead.
Old 09-26-17, 06:58 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcomer
Drive Mode affects the throttle response, ECO is softer, Sport is quicker... Try the Sport Mode
setting while using Dynamic Speed control. It will respond more "humanly" and maintain a
bit more consistent gap to the car ahead.
Sounds reasonable, I'll give it a try....thanks!