Navigation & real-time Traffic conditions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-17, 01:00 PM
OnVacation
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation & real-time Traffic conditions

Hi all:
I'm a new owner to an NX300h, en-route to my local dealer so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I'm curious to see how the Navigation and traffic conditions work under the NX. I previously had a 2010 RX and perhaps that's where the confusion comes. My RX radio had SiriusXM and through them is where I had NavTraffic installed in my car. I paid Sirius an additional fee per month for this, which to me is one of the most used feature of the entire system. That and heads up display (I'm a little bitter HUD is not available for the NX, but that's a different topic).

Looks like the new NX I'm getting doesn't have that NavTraffic option to be added after the SiriusSXM trial period ends. So for those of you with an NX that include Navigation - how do you get your maps and traffic conditions in your console. Does it work independently from a mobile phone or does it feed off it? Are there any subscriptions required for this to Lexus Enform or any other service? I'm trying to see if I need to budget for any of this once the first year of service is done.
Old 09-12-17, 02:30 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The navigation system on the NX (I believe it is a Generation 8 navigation system) includes weather and traffic information that does not require a subscription. Instead of the information coming via the SiriusXM subscription, like on your RX, it comes via the HD radio service.
The following users liked this post:
OnVacation (09-12-17)
Old 09-12-17, 03:53 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

lesz is correct, the NavTraffic and WeatherChannel information comes to you, for free, through the HD radio stations.
The coverage includes 3X more streets and refreshes 2X more frequently. The weather component of the old XM
system was so horrible it was criminal that they had the nerve to actually charge for it. OnVacation - be certain to
cancel any Nav/weather/stocks subscription you have with XM if and when you decide to transfer your XM account.

If you intend to listen exclusively to iTunes or streaming sources or XM and never ever tune in a terrestrial HD AM or
FM station you will not be getting Nav or Weather updates. All is not lost however, you can (and should) download the
Lexus Enform App Suite, free and free forever unlike the other Enform branded apps. Keep the LAS running in the phone
that is paired and connected and you will then get the updates.
OnVacation (09-12-17)
Old 09-12-17, 06:04 PM
OnVacation
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your replies. Your explanations make total sense. Again, I figured it may be because I'm used to my old 2010 radio technology. The other house car is a 2011 CT and has the same radio service as mine. I've already cancelled the old radio since I no longer have the car. I live in Houston and knowing traffic conditions around here is a must. This is why I panicked a little when I didn't see the option. But I'm glad I asked and have the answer. My salesperson, even though we've bought from them before, didn't explain well the different changes on the navigation system. I will be downloading the Lexus Enform App Suite and will remember to pair it with the car once it arrives. Can't wait!
Old 09-13-17, 11:14 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
If you intend to listen exclusively to iTunes or streaming sources or XM and never ever tune in a terrestrial HD AM or
FM station you will not be getting Nav or Weather updates..
Hmm, I rarely listen to anything but XM, but my '17 F-Sport nav screen still gives me traffic information that accurately depicts the traffic I encounter....am I missing something when it comes to nav and weather?

I guess I didn't even know I had weather information available besides looking outside the window....should I or could I know more?
Old 09-13-17, 11:47 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Press the talk button (left steering wheel spoke) and say "show forecast" and you will get the
Weather Channel. Local, distant, future, last look up...tap "weather map" for a scalable map.
While different than the Nav map, if you have a Point B set up you will see a simple line that is hopefully
not going right through a storm cell! If you like your tunes as loud as I do and do not wish to interrupt
them with the verbal command then just press Menu on the center console, select Info from the screen
and tap on Weather.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
Neverlost (06-24-20), OnVacation (09-13-17)
Old 09-13-17, 11:55 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I only listen to XM and I heart radio. But HD radio is still providing traffic updates successfully.
OnVacation (09-13-17)
Old 09-13-17, 09:19 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcomer
Press the talk button (left steering wheel spoke) and say "show forecast" and you will get the
Weather Channel. Local, distant, future, last look up...tap "weather map" for a scalable map.
I had no idea....thanks!

Probably won't use the weather info, but the page also includes an area map of traffic slow downs and a list of traffic incidents.....that I will use.

In the western US we just don't have BIG weather such as tornadoes (usually), but I can see why the weather map would come in handy in the Midwest. Now if it just had forest fire information....
Old 02-16-18, 11:45 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry for refreshing old topic but I have a question which is a natural follow up.

Just purchased from SiriusXM the NavTraffic for my 2015 Lexus RX and was told by the technician (I called to complain that traffic data was not showing on the map) that in order for traffic data to show I must have a current active destination. This seemed to do the trick - the traffic data did pop up. I have another Lexus (2016) and I am getting HD traffic for free, but again - do I have to have an active destination for traffic data to be refreshed on my 2016 Lexus as well??
Old 02-18-18, 09:19 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Olasek
- do I have to have an active destination for traffic data to be refreshed on my 2016 Lexus as well??
Certainly the answer is "NO" for my 2017....traffic information is always available within about two minutes of engine start without a destination being set.
Old 09-25-19, 05:17 AM
Kayann246
Driver School Candidate

Hi all, I'm Kay from Charlotte. Just purchased a 2019 RX350 F Sport AWD, navigation, Atomic Silver. I haven't driven it that much since I purchased last week but looking forward to driving on long trips to Myrtle Beach and Charleston.
Old 09-25-19, 10:33 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayann246
Hi all, I'm Kay from Charlotte. Just purchased a 2019 RX350 F Sport AWD, navigation, Atomic Silver. I haven't driven it that much since I purchased last week but looking forward to driving on long trips to Myrtle Beach and Charleston.
Welcome Kay. Since you have the RX there is a different section for those, (this is the NX section). You’ll probably get information that closer to what you need there. Enjoy your RX.
Kayann246 (09-25-19)
Old 09-25-19, 10:42 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kayann246
Hi Kay, having once owned an RX and also having once lived in both Myrtle Beach and Charleston, I know you'll enjoy all three!!

Not sure you intended to post about your new RX purchase on the NX forum, but just the same, enjoy your trip...
Kayann246 (09-25-19)
Old 01-18-20, 01:46 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyTurbo7
What up, Lexus fam!

1. 2016 Lexus RX 350 FWD
2. Silver Lining Metallic with Parchment
3. Luxury Package- 20 inch wheels, illuminated aluminum & wood door trim, aluminum roof rails, rear door sunshades, panoramic-view back up camera (BSM), panoramic sunroof, Lexus Safety System + package w/ triple-beam headlamps, front & rear paking sensors, hands-free power liftgate, heated stearing wheel, 12.3" Navigation System w/ Mark Levinson audio, REMOTE START
4. UPGRADED F-Sport style MESH one-piece grill. Did not do full conversion. Was able to keep the entire chrome trim around the grill. Custom fit the camera.

This is my first luxury SUV. Loving it! Previous owner of 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander that was solid. Got rear ended and insurance totalled the vehicle which allowed me to pursue this Lexus. Back in the late 90s, owned a 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT which I drove for 15 years!

Hi EasyTurbo7-
Nice pics, although you might want to post to the RX forum rather than the NX forum.
Old 01-18-20, 04:13 PM
EasyTurbo7
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fredw1
Hi EasyTurbo7-
Nice pics, although you might want to post to the RX forum rather than the NX forum.
Thank you.
I realized I posted in the wrong forum and I thought successfully deleted the original post. Apparently not.

Quick Reply: Navigation & real-time Traffic conditions