NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

What kind of car jack

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-17, 05:45 PM
JimsNX200T
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of car jack

Hi guys, i'm thinking of doing some work on my car but i'm not sure what kind of jack I need. Not just how how heavy, how high the jack has to reach too.
Thanks in advance
Old 09-02-17, 07:31 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Depends what you want to do, if it's just tires/brakes then at least 2 tons with 18" of lift will work. Something with 24" will let you use the center jack points a lot easier (including the back one under the cover). Make sure you get decent jack stands and actually use them.

I see you're in BC...this style (I've seen a few different brands of the same jack rebadged) works well for pretty much any vehicle within the weight capacity.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...0226p.html#srp
Old 09-02-17, 09:02 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I've got a 2 ton Craftsman aluminum lo-profile racing jack with 18" lift (lo-profile for when I played with lowered cars when I was younger). Works fine and has never failed me for over 15 years. It would be nice to have a higher lift, since the NX is a higher sitting car, but am still able to do the maintenance that I need..
Old 09-05-17, 02:26 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I bought a 2-ton floor jack from Harbor Freight and it wouldn't lift the NX high enough. I returned it for the 3-ton version and it works great!

Old 03-19-18, 08:47 AM
winglesss
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Hein-Werner large frame jack works great for cars, trucks and SUV vehicles.

+1, always use jack stands and never go under a vehicle supported only by a jack.
Old 03-19-18, 09:42 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you guys use a pinch weld adapter? I feel like the jack stands will dig into the body or damage the pinch weld if they werent placed correctly.

Old 03-19-18, 10:08 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsNX200T
Hi guys, i'm thinking of doing some work on my car but i'm not sure what kind of jack I need. Not just how how heavy, how high the jack has to reach too.
Thanks in advance
I purchased a floor jack with 3.5 ton rating on sale from Princess Auto. Lifting max height as well as minimum height is important when you choose one.
I can lift any vehicle in my family with less than 10 pushes for seasonal tire changes,etc. Having a floor jack, jack stands, industrial grade compressor makes it easy
working on vehicles.in my garage.
Old 03-20-18, 05:52 AM
winglesss
Rookie

Originally Posted by d8168055
Do you guys use a pinch weld adapter? I feel like the jack stands will dig into the body or damage the pinch weld if they werent placed correctly.
A pinch weld adapter is required to prevent vehicle damage.

Old 03-21-18, 04:11 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

For a tall vehicle this is best jack ever:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...one-jack?rfk=1

Not to carry around but it sides as a 3 ton jack stand, lifts VERY high and is heck of strong build. Also, local TS sells it for $28, so it's hard to beat. It's great for trucks and tall SUVs. Only thing to keep in mind, it does not fold pas certain height, so you need to make sure that you have enough clearance. Many jacks described above run out of lifting height on tall vehicles.
Old 03-22-18, 10:01 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
For a tall vehicle this is best jack ever:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...one-jack?rfk=1

Not to carry around but it sides as a 3 ton jack stand, lifts VERY high and is heck of strong build. Also, local TS sells it for $28, so it's hard to beat. It's great for trucks and tall SUVs. Only thing to keep in mind, it does not fold pas certain height, so you need to make sure that you have enough clearance. Many jacks described above run out of lifting height on tall vehicles.
Won't fit under the NX. The right way is jack front/back centers and jack stands at pinch welds.

Or get a lift...that's what I did lol
Old 03-22-18, 10:26 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by winglesss

I made one using huckey puck.
Old 04-10-18, 10:33 AM
winglesss
Rookie

Originally Posted by Htony
I made one using huckey puck.
Hopefully this doesn't mean the vehicle is being supported only by a jack, with a slit hockey puck straddling the pinch weld in a jack saddle.

A raised vehicle must be supported by properly positioned jack stands before ever going underneath or working on the vehicle.
Old 04-10-18, 11:01 AM
winglesss
Rookie

Originally Posted by winglesss

For my usage, I modified a set of jack stands by cutting a small notch in the top, to permit the saddle to straddle the pinch weld.

These jack stands have plenty of contiguous / thick structural metal remaining after the modification. As-such, in this case the safety is not affected.

When I was modifying the jack stands to cut the notch I used the body to ensure the fit, so that I would not be crushing the pinch weld during usage.

Making the notch was easy using my 4½" 12,000 rpm small angle grinder.

Old 04-10-18, 07:14 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

They make jackstands with that slot to begin with. Honestly, not worth it and don't worry too much about the pinch welds...just don't drop the vehicle with the jack onto the stands.
Old 04-10-18, 08:50 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
They make jackstands with that slot to begin with. Honestly, not worth it and don't worry too much about the pinch welds...just don't drop the vehicle with the jack onto the stands.
Learning is by doing. Lots of Youtube tutorials out there as well. Just always safety first.

Quick Reply: What kind of car jack