NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

What do you like-love/dislike-hate about your NX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-17, 10:06 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
Default What do you like-love/dislike-hate about your NX?

Disclaimer: I did search to see if that topic has been covered and found nothing. In case if missed it, please neglect my post. I do not plan to start a war her, so take my comments lightly...

I am sure we all have something we love/like about our NX and something we would like to change. So, what are these things?

Here is what I like about my NX:

- Great seats! Seats are very comfortable. I took few road trips 4+ hours each and did not have to stop to stretch my feet.

- Very nice handling and steering for SUV (compare to larger RX). In fact, handling is more car-like than SUV-like. NX does not feel as top heavy, or almost does not. It is quite nimble.

- Size. Size is personal, as we all have different needs, but once I decided that I do not want/need large SUV, NX fit in just perfect.

Now what I dislike/hate about it:

- Sun glasses bin. It is joke! Who wants, all while driving, 1- remove stupid mirror, 2-place it somewhere, where?, if you cup holders are loaded, 3- snake-in or fish out glasses? This is as stupid as it gets! This tiny pocket is like "condom" pocket in your jeans - not much use at all. Lexus, are you listening? I am still looking for solution but found nothing so far.

- Small size left foot rest. My feet are "normal" size but when my left foot rests there, the tip is curved up. Not comfortable at all.

- I like using WAZE (phone navigation). It is better and easier to use than car nav. However, to hear nav voice prompts through NX speakers, car audio has to be set to media and the phone has to be connected through media, not radio. So, good luck listening radio and expecting voice guidance. Unfortunately, I did not find it right away or it would be a major point for me when considered the vehicle. Many other cars (cannot speak for all) do not have that problem. So far, I could not find the way to remedy this. Can somebody help?

There are few other minor things here and there, but these are on the top of my likes/dislikes.
Old 08-26-17, 11:26 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Agree with seats, handling, and size are great. Front end grille still gives me goosebumps.
Sun glasses: topic been discussed; just store them in armrest storage..
Nav: I use nav as designed with no issues. Only extra I use is the app for i heart radio.

My pet peeves: No auto folding mirrors, bottom of door interior ledges get debris collected during storms. (need to wipe off after driving/storm, doesn't happen too often in socal.)

extra info:
Just discovered how to NOT hear the open door chime: Park, turn off car, then remove seat belt. No door chime! (yes, you can always press the door frame button to shut it off, but I am learning to remove seat belt after turning off engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by kent2174:
jayinco (01-21-18), sirensusan (08-26-17)
Old 08-26-17, 11:55 AM
wpath
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the ventilated seats in FL in the summer

No Car Play / Android Auto. A bit loud.
Old 08-26-17, 12:09 PM
sirensusan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found that when I took off my seat belt, the buckle was hitting the door above the armrest and marking marks/indentations in the material, including faint white marks. I have tried to wipe off the white marks and haven't has much luck. Now that I know what is causing it, I am careful when I take my seat belt off.

I took it to the dealerships and they said they've never seen this before and basically, there isn't anything they can do about it. Not an answer I wanted to hear at all. I understand that my seat is going to sit differently that everyone else because of height and personal preference, but really?

Now I have to warn passengers to be careful taking of their seat belt because its happening on the other side too.

Anyone else had this happen to them? (sorry its not a good pic)
Old 08-26-17, 07:23 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Love the seats, and the triple beam headlights. Don't like the road noise. Could use more storage cubbies too.
Old 08-26-17, 08:26 PM
Mide
Driver School Candidate

I've only had my NX for a few weeks now but here are the Likes/Dislikes. Note that I was on the fence between an IS 200t...I'm partially regretting the NX.

Pros
For a small SUV, it has a nice, comfortable ride
Seats are very soft and comfortable
Hatch to put stuff in
On the non-nav version, I enjoy the audio controls (3 buttons and the wheel)
White/Flaxen color scheme is a joy
The Exterior/Front has a great design with impressive lines
The cup holders have those flanges that can form to different size cups
Interior lights are touch-sensitive
Stock Audio is wonderful to listen to. I heard the Mark Levinson upgrade is much better.

Cons
On the leather on the doors there is a "bump" in the center. It's part of the design but it looks to be the location that will wear a hole faster
The back headrests totally block out visibility from the rear
Blind spot on the right is pretty significant, but luckily the mirror is huge
Power is just a bit lacking. 25-50 more HP would've been a sweet spot
The sunglass holder/mirror is a waste of space. A better design would've been better
Feels like you're riding a bubble (Not sure if the F-sport would've been better or if I'm just too used to driving cars)
The gas tank is a few gallons too small

Personal preference of course, but I think it should've gotten the IS with its more HP, 8-speed auto, better handling, and a larger gas tank. I gave that up for the hatch and the frequent Ikea trips that the fam makes.

Last edited by Mide; 08-26-17 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Spacing
Old 09-01-17, 02:09 AM
BDenturck
Driver School Candidate

Pro:
- suspension, sticks to the road
- seats
- coating
- lock car by touch

Neg:
- very noisy
- too small footrest
- High consumption versus small fuel tank, not a car for a heavy user
- Windscreen wipers leave water, can't get it fixed at the dealer
- navigation system is a joke in Europe, I use my smartphone and heard several people do
- Need full option to have modern safety measures on board, only packages sold here, very limited choice in options
Old 09-01-17, 05:57 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BDenturck
Pro:
- suspension, sticks to the road
- seats
- coating
- lock car by touch

Neg:
- very noisy
- too small footrest
- High consumption versus small fuel tank, not a car for a heavy user
- Windscreen wipers leave water, can't get it fixed at the dealer
- navigation system is a joke in Europe, I use my smartphone and heard several people do
- Need full option to have modern safety measures on board, only packages sold here, very limited choice in options
The longer I own the car the better I like it. I now own it a little over a year and a half and it gets better and better. The engine seems more broken in now that I have a little over 11k on it. It runs smooth and excelerates well. No, it is not a sports car but, it wasn't meant to be. If I want a sports car I will drive my Z06. Too many people on this forum bash the car saying that it can't get out of it's own way. Not true. You need to appreciate the car for what it is. It is a small luxury SUV that has just enough power to get you where you need to be.

The truth is, the only two pet peeves that I have are the wind noise from the side windows and having to use premium fuel which most manufacturers have found a way to use regular fuel on a 4 cyl.turbo engine. Other than that, I love the car. It handles much better than the new RX350.

This is just my opinion of course and I respect how you all may feel about your experience with the NX.
Old 12-29-17, 02:17 PM
catchtanya
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Loves:
The size, not quite a car but not a bulky SUV
Comfort of seats
optional accessories - Heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise, remote start.

Dislikes:
The stupid touchpad for nav system. Even a cable brushes it and it responds.
The electrical issues ive had. The drivers seat pulls back to exit the car but doesnt always return to "correct" forward position when car is started. lexus cant replicate and wont fix., Touchpad home button failed, its in the shop now for a faulty passenger mirror.
Needs a little more oomph. Its not horrible, but its lacking a little.
Storage is a joke. Sunglasses holder has been discussed so...
Old 12-31-17, 10:39 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Handles, has EXCELLENT steering, great acceleration for it's segment, superb looks, and of course Lexus reliability and prestige.

Radio/usb/nav/electronic widgets are buried WAYYYYYY too deep in an electronic menu of unnecessary complication. It's a car not a smart phone. Quit trying to make cars/tv's/mp3 players/dvd players into smart phones. Give me ***** and buttons, so I can 1. actually find what I'm looking for within an hour, and 2. not run the car off the road if I want to change a simple setting lol.
Two ten minute warm up sessions? Really?
No digital compass in the mirror???? wowwwww.. Now I have to take an hour to scan through the 2000 bits of information that's ALREADY crowding the center console just to check my direction. Dam.
Still can't figure out how to open the hatch while the vehicle's running. I hit three buttons so far and can't get it to open. Lexus, it's just a hatch, not the blast doors on the space shuttle. Put a handle in there and be done with that ****. It shouldn't have to be in a certain "mode" just to open the god darn HATCH lol.
Can I have a standard issue fob located remote start like all the other 14,000 dollar cars have, so when the "enform" fails, I can still warm my car up in this zero degree weather? Thanks

Last edited by Buddiiee; 01-01-18 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-31-17, 11:03 AM
nozz3857
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
Handles EXCELLENT steering, great acceleration for it's segment, great looks, and of course Lexus reliability and prestige.

Radio/usb/nav/electronic widgets are buried WAYYYYYY too deep in an electronic menu of unnecessary complication. It's a car not a smart phone. Quit trying to make cars/tv's/mp3 players/dvd players into smart phones. Give me ***** and buttons, so I can 1. actually find what I'm looking for within an hour, and 2. not run the car off the road if I want to change a simple setting lol.
Two ten minute warm up sessions? Really?
No digital compass in the mirror???? wowwwww.. Now I have to take an hour to scan through the 2000 bits of information that's ALREADY crowding the center console just to check my direction. Dam.
Still can't figure out how to open the hatch while the vehicle's running. I hit three buttons so far and can't get it to open. Lexus, it's just a hatch, not the blast doors on the space shuttle. Put a handle in there and be done with that ****. It shouldn't have to be in a certain "mode" just to open the god darn HATCH lol.
Can I have a standard issue fob located remote start like all the other 14,000 dollar cars have, so when the "enform" fails, I can still warm my car up in this zero degree weather? Thanks
LMAO!! Even thought we don't have our new NX yet, I noticed during the test drive the infotainment system is way more complex than it needs to be. I thought the one on my wife's Acura TLX we traded in was bad. I think this one is worse.
They gave us a 18 ES 300 to drive until Tuesday when we get her NX. It's just as bad. Like you said, to hard to do simple things. WTF?? But I'm sure we'll figure it out. lol
Old 12-31-17, 04:29 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Once the complimentary Enform expires, so will the remote start - even starting from the keyfob. You will need to purchase the remote feature to continue it. At least with the 2018s you can purportedly buy the remote separately. On the NXs of prior years you had to package it with Safety Connect which made it quite a bit more expensive.
Old 01-01-18, 02:28 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts

Surely there has to be a way to by pass that system and be able to remote start separately. Clearly everything is set in place.. how have there not been any manufactures that make a device that can be added to the NX to allow keyfob remote start? It annoys me that one has to pay a monthly fee to have remote start on a close to $50k vehicle. My sisters $18k honda fit has remote start...lol We just got the NX and really like it. LEAPS and bounds better than my wife's 07' toyota solara that it replaced.

-Nigel
Old 01-01-18, 06:47 AM
nozz3857
Driver School Candidate

I wondered about the remote start thing as well. They told us we get 3 years free with the app. But why just an app? I understand the app doesn't require line of site, which is good.
But the remote start function should be in the fob as well. I often go into places where I have no cell signal or very little.
I had a 2011 F 150 that had remote start using the fob. It's not that hard. C'mon Lexus.
Old 01-01-18, 08:15 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

If you search the forum you will find several active threads on this topic. There are many others frustrated by this disabling of the keyfob when the subscription expires. Perhaps it will be different on the 2018 model year.

Quick Reply: What do you like-love/dislike-hate about your NX?