NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

What do you like-love/dislike-hate about your NX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 10:09 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
No digital compass in the mirror???? wowwwww.. Now I have to take an hour to scan through the 2000 bits of information that's ALREADY crowding the center console just to check my direction. Dam.
Still can't figure out how to open the hatch while the vehicle's running. I hit three buttons so far and can't get it to open. Lexus, it's just a hatch, not the blast doors on the space shuttle.
I've found the digital compass on the upper left corner of the NX navigation screen is in a better field of view than my older Lexus that had the compass in the mirror. I assume your navigation screen also includes the compass.

Regarding the hatch, I too cannot open my hatch if the engine is running and the car is in gear, but when it is in Park, the hatch opens with the normal push of the lower left button. If you cannot do this, I suggest you check your manual for a buried setting that is preventing it...or even easier, and something I've done, call your dealer and ask why you cannot open the hatch!
Old 01-09-18, 02:59 PM
Fyrcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the look of my 2016 f-sport. I am still bugged about not having leather seats. My last lexus was a 1999 Rx, I purchased New and traded it in w/90,000 miles on it. The leather was pristine in my RX, as I babied it. I wish an option for leather was available for the nx...other than that I love everything about this car!
Old 01-10-18, 12:52 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 749 Likes on 466 Posts

Welp we've had the NX for a week or two now. So far this is what I really like:

Pros:
  • Lots of technology on our 2018'. In fact so much so that it's almost distracting not playing with it all while driving.
  • Seats are comfortable, and the interior looks great. We have the extended tan leather on the dash which looks nice.
  • Plenty of room in the back seats. I'm 6'2" and this is what killed a Macan for us. When I sat in the back I had no leg room. With the NX I have leg room. (Note that I don't sit in the back but it's annoying to buy an SUV and can't fit anyone but children in the backseats)
  • Looks pretty nice. I REALLY with you could get the F sport front bumper on the Luxury model and leather trim. The main reason we didn't get an F sport even though that's what I wanted initially was the leather choices for the F sport were not good to us at all. I want our interior how it is with the extended leather dash/color but with the F Sport front bumper. Seems silly to me this wasn't an option.
  • Love that the hatch as a lock button so that when it's opened you can hit the lock button and it locks the entire car.

Cons:
  • The ride seems more harsh than my wife's Toyota Solara. It feels more bumpy, tingy in a way. Her solara was extremely smooth. Lexus like ride quality honestly.
  • Power or lack there of. It's perfectly fine cruising and when you are at 80mph it's fine. But getting to that from a stop or just city traffic it feels much slower. I'd say that's the biggest disappointment to me. If it had an extra 30hp it wouldn't feel as bad.
  • Can't seem to get the rear lift gate foot sensor to work most of the time or maybe we are just swinging our feet wrong. Seems like a good idea but silly.
  • Remote start that turns on, but then when you get in the car to unlock it, shuts off. I understand WHY, but it just seems so silly that the engineers couldn't have designed a better plan. While we are on remote start. Have it built into the KEYFOB instead of having a service that you have to pay for at the end of the free year... That I can't stand.
  • Panoramic Moon roof. Why was one not offered? I like the moon roof and try to get it with everything we have, but given the choice I'd take a pano roof any time!
I think this is a wonderful vehicle. We've never owned a Lexus before but we've had Toyota and I am hoping that the reliability is the same between the two, even though I've heard Lexus dealers/repairs can reach that of German cars... I do the majority of the work on our cars since I have a lift in the garage. Our Mercedes hasn't been bad. My Ranger is an older truck so that's cheap to fix and my STi is a garage queen unless I'm upgrading something. My biggest thing really are just the front looks of the F sport that I wish would have come with the Luxury interior/features of the NX we got, lack of power, and the remote start quirk. Everything else is a huge upgrade to us in terms of technology and just overall features.

-Nigel
Old 01-10-18, 03:37 AM
nozz3857
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nigel821

Pros:
  • Lots of technology on our 2018'. In fact so much so that it's almost distracting not playing with it all while driving.
  • Seats are comfortable, and the interior looks great. We have the extended tan leather on the dash which looks nice.
  • Plenty of room in the back seats. I'm 6'2" and this is what killed a Macan for us. When I sat in the back I had no leg room. With the NX I have leg room. (Note that I don't sit in the back but it's annoying to buy an SUV and can't fit anyone but children in the backseats)
  • Looks pretty nice. I REALLY with you could get the F sport front bumper on the Luxury model and leather trim. The main reason we didn't get an F sport even though that's what I wanted initially was the leather choices for the F sport were not good to us at all. I want our interior how it is with the extended leather dash/color but with the F Sport front bumper. Seems silly to me this wasn't an option.
  • Love that the hatch as a lock button so that when it's opened you can hit the lock button and it locks the entire car.
Cons:
  • The ride seems more harsh than my wife's Toyota Solara. It feels more bumpy, tingy in a way. Her solara was extremely smooth. Lexus like ride quality honestly.
  • Power or lack there of. It's perfectly fine cruising and when you are at 80mph it's fine. But getting to that from a stop or just city traffic it feels much slower. I'd say that's the biggest disappointment to me. If it had an extra 30hp it wouldn't feel as bad.
  • Can't seem to get the rear lift gate foot sensor to work most of the time or maybe we are just swinging our feet wrong. Seems like a good idea but silly.
  • Remote start that turns on, but then when you get in the car to unlock it, shuts off. I understand WHY, but it just seems so silly that the engineers couldn't have designed a better plan. While we are on remote start. Have it built into the KEYFOB instead of having a service that you have to pay for at the end of the free year... That I can't stand.
  • Panoramic Moon roof. Why was one not offered? I like the moon roof and try to get it with everything we have, but given the choice I'd take a pano roof any time!
I think this is a wonderful vehicle. We've never owned a Lexus before but we've had Toyota and I am hoping that the reliability is the same between the two, even though I've heard Lexus dealers/repairs can reach that of German cars... I do the majority of the work on our cars since I have a lift in the garage. Our Mercedes hasn't been bad. My Ranger is an older truck so that's cheap to fix and my STi is a garage queen unless I'm upgrading something. My biggest thing really are just the front looks of the F sport that I wish would have come with the Luxury interior/features of the NX we got, lack of power, and the remote start quirk. Everything else is a huge upgrade to us in terms of technology and just overall features.

-Nigel
I agree on most of your points. We also liked the look of the F Sport but didn't like the seats and interior colors. I' 5'6" and my wife is 5'4". We just felt the seats were to confining and not near as comfortable as the luxury seats. I know they're supposed to be like that. Comfort is more important to us than having sport seats.
But we just felt they wouldn't be that great for long drives. Like you said, it would be nice if you could get the F exterior with the luxury interior model. Overall my wife loves her NX. It's our first Lexus as well.
One thing that's kinda funny though. I drive a 2017 Chevy Colorado Z71. The free Onstar remote app works great. But we can't get the Lexus Enform app to work at all. After trying everything including reinstalling, talking to the dealer tech guy and lexus, still won't work.
It's going in Saturday to the dealer to get it working. Dealer has been great so far. We live about 100 miles from them. They offered to send a driver with a new loaner to pick it up and drop it off when it's done.
Pretty cool.
Old 01-10-18, 11:07 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

Cons:
-Nigel
- Solara is built on Camry platform and has supple ride of typical family sedan. So, no comparison here between sedan and small SUV.
- Your car engine is not broken in yet. I have 2017 with 16K miles on odometer now, and the power is fine, especially in sport mode. Expect, to see major power improvement at about 5K on odometer.
Old 01-10-18, 12:47 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
- Solara is built on Camry platform and has supple ride of typical family sedan. So, no comparison here between sedan and small SUV.
- Your car engine is not broken in yet. I have 2017 with 16K miles on odometer now, and the power is fine, especially in sport mode. Expect, to see major power improvement at about 5K on odometer.
i noticed the power thing that most people talk about is sort of a matter of how the vehicle is driven. i personally noticed that by feathering the fuel pedal not just mashing it, the car responds better. it a low rpm torque motor so that may be why.
Old 01-11-18, 07:32 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

2017 NX200t
Dislikes

Above average wind noise.
Power liftgate is slow and canntt be accelerated by hand.
Residue on the bottom inside of the doors when driving in snow/slush.
Poor gas mileage (22 mpg is the best ever with 50/50 highway/city.
OEM wipers not clearing evenly from Day 1.
High beams are not LEDs.

Seats warm quickly
Heated steering wheel
Infotainment pretty good (non-nav)
Climate controls easy to operate without a menu
Old 01-11-18, 08:25 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 749 Likes on 466 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
True about the platform. I pulled her car next to her NX, and the and the damn car is longer than the NX... I have always joked that her car is the size of a boat and when you see it next to things it's really true, PITA at times when in a tight parking garage. So far the NX seems like a roomy vehicle inside but when driving it, doesn't feel "large" in the sense that it's fighting blind spots or 10 point turns to move in and out of a spot..etc. I'll update here once she racks up the miles on the NX. Hoping that's true with the break in and improvement! :-)

Originally Posted by fredw1
2017 NX200t
Dislikes

High beams are not LEDs.
This might be based on year/optional headlights, but my wife's 18' has the upgraded triple led headlights. Which when in high beam/auto high beam mode are definitely leds, there are no other projectors/lights on the front of the headlight for the high beam.

-Nigel
Old 01-12-18, 09:29 PM
Newnx
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2018 for about 3 months now. Some people complain about the car is noisy, but I felt car is pretty quiet, unless they improve in 2018 model.

Pros:
Ride quality is good. (Do not overinflated. The dealer put 37psi when I first drove out of lot. It felt very bumpy. 33psi is just right.)
Seat comfort. Heat seat and heat steering warm up quickly.
Handling like a car. I test drove 2017 RX and decided to get NX instead.. RX drove like a boat and cabin is not quiet.
Rear lift kick sensor works well and lock button in the rear lift gate.
overall build quality. Interior quality
Illuminated door handles
Headlight is bright.
LED lights everywhere. Except vanity lights.
backup camera resolution is good.
Auto fold side mirrors when lock the door. Auto dim outside mirrors.
10.3inch navi screen.
Cons
No 12v in the front console and back
Lack of storage in the center console.
Memory seat buttons are not illuminated and location is award. It should be in the upper part of the door.
Vehicle settings cannot be customized to each key fob.
trunk space is small.
no USB in the back.
Small fuel tank

Last edited by Newnx; 01-13-18 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 02:56 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

True about the platform. I pulled her car next to her NX, and the and the damn car is longer than the NX... I have always joked that her car is the size of a boat and when you see it next to things it's really true, PITA at times when in a tight parking garage. So far the NX seems like a roomy vehicle inside but when driving it, doesn't feel "large" in the sense that it's fighting blind spots or 10 point turns to move in and out of a spot..etc. I'll update here once she racks up the miles on the NX. Hoping that's true with the break in and improvement! :-)

-Nigel
The NX is as long as my 2008 IS was. The IS was build on the Corolla platform, and not the Camry platform. So it makes sense that the Camry is longer.
Old 01-15-18, 12:42 PM
Syd123
Driver School Candidate

Someone on here said they Got 28 Mpg, How did you get that? Mine has Never gotten that. And that is a huge pet peevd of mine
Old 01-15-18, 06:21 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Syd123
Someone on here said they Got 28 Mpg, How did you get that? Mine has Never gotten that. And that is a huge pet peevd of mine
As I noted in my post above, 22 mpg is the best I've ever gotten in mixed driving.
Old 01-15-18, 07:15 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Those of you chasing MPGs chose the wrong model. I get between 31 and 33 depending on seasons and about 95% city driving. The dash was reading 32 when I parked tonight and it usually shows about 1 to 1.5 MPG higher than calculated.
Old 01-16-18, 06:26 PM
DYMZ007
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I purchased my 2017 NX200T in April/17, below is my honest feedback on the car:

Pros:
- exterior styling is top notch, the car has better presence than the class competitors in my opinion
- comfortable ride, good space for a family of 4 (13yr old and 4yr old)
- good value for the features, similarly equipped x3 would run $80k CAD
- balance of luxury and sport, more sport but looks and feels rich with the 2-tone leather
- sporty drive with decent handling for an SUV- previous rides were lowered GSR, lowered 3series and lowered IS, it took some getting used to being in an SUV
- interior styling- leather wrapped dash & console w/ contract stitching...rare for the class
- I like the sun glass holder- buy RayBan’s, they fit fine, not understanding the beef?

Cons:
- lack of engine options....NX 350??? Or increase the power output on the existing engine
- no power folding mirrors (Canada)
- no panoramic roof option (Canada)
- small gas tank, constantly at the gas station!!!
- small trunk space but not bad when cover is off
- limited oem accessories to customize
- bottom of the inner doors always get dirty, especially in the winter/snow. I read about this prior to purchasing the car but this is truly a design flaw
- small nav screen on 2017MY- issue corrected for 2018MY
- weak stereo, need a ML option. I’m not even a audio guy but this system lacks power, especially for an SUV.
- no coin holder (I’m ol’ school)
​​​​​​​- weak heated steering wheel, takes too long to heat up and even at max temp it feels like warm
- sensors constantly go off when it’s snowing, scares the crap out of me when I’m driving as it appears like you’re going to hit something....not sure if this issue is exclusive to the NX or all sensored cars...

I have a long list of gripes but I’m actually very happy with my decesion to purchase the NX. The exterior styling makes it easier to over look anything I included on the list.

Lexus- 3 recommendations:

1. Build an NX-F or NX350
2. Offer an F-Sport4 option and include upgraded ML stereo, panaramic roof, power folding mirrors, power rear seats and 360 camera
3. Offer the Japan Lexus accessories in North America
Old 01-16-18, 07:08 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DYMZ007
I purchased my 2017 NX200T in April/17, below is my honest feedback on the car:

Pros:
- exterior styling is top notch, the car has better presence than the class competitors in my opinion
- comfortable ride, good space for a family of 4 (13yr old and 4yr old)
- good value for the features, similarly equipped x3 would run $80k CAD
- balance of luxury and sport, more sport but looks and feels rich with the 2-tone leather
- sporty drive with decent handling for an SUV- previous rides were lowered GSR, lowered 3series and lowered IS, it took some getting used to being in an SUV
- interior styling- leather wrapped dash & console w/ contract stitching...rare for the class
- I like the sun glass holder- buy RayBan’s, they fit fine, not understanding the beef?

Cons:
- lack of engine options....NX 350??? Or increase the power output on the existing engine
- no power folding mirrors (Canada)
- no panoramic roof option (Canada)
- small gas tank, constantly at the gas station!!!
- small trunk space but not bad when cover is off
- limited oem accessories to customize
- bottom of the inner doors always get dirty, especially in the winter/snow. I read about this prior to purchasing the car but this is truly a design flaw
- small nav screen on 2017MY- issue corrected for 2018MY
- weak stereo, need a ML option. I’m not even a audio guy but this system lacks power, especially for an SUV.
- no coin holder (I’m ol’ school)
​​​​​​​- weak heated steering wheel, takes too long to heat up and even at max temp it feels like warm
- sensors constantly go off when it’s snowing, scares the crap out of me when I’m driving as it appears like you’re going to hit something....not sure if this issue is exclusive to the NX or all sensored cars...

I have a long list of gripes but I’m actually very happy with my decesion to purchase the NX. The exterior styling makes it easier to over look anything I included on the list.

Lexus- 3 recommendations:

1. Build an NX-F or NX350
2. Offer an F-Sport4 option and include upgraded ML stereo, panaramic roof, power folding mirrors, power rear seats and 360 camera
3. Offer the Japan Lexus accessories in North America
Great list and totally agree. In Australia, cars are totally loaded with all the features except panoramic sunroof (climate too hot). The 360 camera is a must have on any vehicle once you get accustomed to it.AND NX F now! 3.0 twin turbo V6 from LS preferably.

Quick Reply: What do you like-love/dislike-hate about your NX?