Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2015 up NX300H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX300H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other first generation NX models.

New 2017 NX300H Owner, ~1 week review

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-17, 01:56 PM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New 2017 NX300H Owner, ~1 week review

It's been almost a week since my wife traded in the 2005 RX330 (at 150k miles and with the repairs it needed after having the dealership look at it, we decided to get her a new car). So we went for the 2017 NX300H. So far she really loves the car. I recommended the 300H over the 200T due to its quiet drive train, and she's ecstatic. She's not into speed or "racing type" so I felt the hybrid version was perfect for her.

She really likes:
-Ultra quiet drive train, dead silent start, almost impossible to tell if it's on
-Nimble handling, quiet ambiance
-Nimble size, easier to park than the RX
-The tech. Smartphone app alerts her when the sunroof is open, etc.
-Smooth CVT transmission and suspension
-Able to use 87 regular unleaded, and getting 30+ mpg with ease
-The smaller steering comparing compared to the RX
-The vanity mirror!

I really like:
-Though I'm a self proclaimed car enthusiast who owned a 911 turbo and appreciate the twin turbos, I'm quiet impressed with the hybrid technology and CVT transmission. So far she's been averaging 35mph city/highway, which is nice
-The cooled seats in the NX are far superior than the ones in my LX570
-The ability to change between Econ/Normal/Sport driving style with the instrument cluster changing display is cool
-The reliability of the hybrid is impressive. With the Prius being ultra reliable at 200k-300k miles, I expect the hybrid system in the NX to be reliable as well.
-I like that hybrids do not require traditional transmission maintenance and has an additional rear electric motor; the electric power steering and timing chain is one less maintenance to worry about
-The HID headlights are bright and sharp

So far we are happy with the purchase. The NX loses out on the cargo space compared to the RX330, but we have my LX570 for the big ticket items. Happy wife = happy life!
The following 2 users liked this post by docboy:
astinus4 (08-18-17), TorontoIS (08-17-17)
Old 08-18-17, 04:55 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Good review. Your list checks all my boxes.

My lease is up soon and am considering whether to move over to a hybrid. I've done some research and the 300h seems to be in short supply in my area. I've also read they aren't selling well. My dealer wasn't too excited to my asking about one. They only had 2 on the lot after some searching. What was your experience with your dealer?
Old 08-18-17, 07:11 PM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Good review. Your list checks all my boxes.

My lease is up soon and am considering whether to move over to a hybrid. I've done some research and the 300h seems to be in short supply in my area. I've also read they aren't selling well. My dealer wasn't too excited to my asking about one. They only had 2 on the lot after some searching. What was your experience with your dealer?
The dealer I went had 2 H on the lot. Another dealership had 1 H. Otherwise their were plenty of 200T and 200T F sports.

Wife and I had 2 cars to trade in (one of them very desirable, my 911 ) so I sensed the dealer was willing to work with us, which they did. I can't tell if the hybrid is not selling well, or if the dealership have limited supplies and not willing to bargain as much.

I notice vehicles typically sell for more here in the PNW due to the booming tech economy, but I felt I got a decent deal.

Some of the gripes I noticed for the 200T is the gas mileage, which the 300H addresses, though at the expense of acceleration.
Old 08-19-17, 03:09 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Ten percent of Lexus's are hybrids. Seventy percent of all hybrids on the road are Toyota or Lexus. Two years ago we bought both a RX 450h and a ES 300h. Both were one year old used certified. The price of the ES was the same as the ES 350's at our local Lexus dealer. The RX 450 was about $1,500 more. My wife and both said we will never own anything from now on but hybrids. One does not go in and bargain on a hybrid when gas is $4.00 a gallon.