Lexus NX200 small overlap

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 03:34 PM
Roozbehmah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus NX200 small overlap

Hi Everyone ,
this is a picture of my buddy crashing his NX into a watertanker . He is alive but in serious condition . We are trying to find an answer : why non of the airbags deployed in the crash ???
Old 07-12-17, 04:32 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Roozbehmah
Hi Everyone ,
this is a picture of my buddy crashing his NX into a watertanker . He is alive but in serious condition . We are trying to find an answer : why non of the airbags deployed in the crash ???
Thoughts and prayers to your buddy!!

And yeah, if the airbags did not deploy with that kind of impact, they are not going to deploy at all.

I'm sure there will be some legal issues or lawsuits connected to the airbag failure, but more importantly, the cause and a fix need to be found to save lives in the future!
Old 07-12-17, 07:30 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks G-d your pal survived terrible crash!

In regards of airbags, I think they did not deploy because, if I judge the picture correctly, NX run under the obstacle (tank?) and did not strike the bumper.
Old 07-12-17, 08:11 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Thanks G-d your pal survived terrible crash!

In regards of airbags, I think they did not deploy because, if I judge the picture correctly, NX run under the obstacle (tank?) and did not strike the bumper.
That's what I was thinking. Not enough force in the right areas to trigger the airbag sensor.

I'm glad the guy survived this severe accident.
Old 07-12-17, 08:40 PM
Roozbehmah
Driver School Candidate

Thnx damp . He is fighting for life . His skull was torn open his left eye almost popped out and he will carry a scar for his rest of his life .his left arm is crushed . U have point : this not happening again to save lives.
Originally Posted by DampDuffer
Thoughts and prayers to your buddy!!

And yeah, if the airbags did not deploy with that kind of impact, they are not going to deploy at all.

I'm sure there will be some legal issues or lawsuits connected to the airbag failure, but more importantly, the cause and a fix need to be found to save lives in the future!
Old 07-12-17, 08:48 PM
Roozbehmah
Driver School Candidate

That is the only explanation I found all over internet , main hit was on A-Pillar . But this is not an explanation that we say "yeah ok so that is why" . My buddy could be dead and still his fighting for his life and we have no idea if he's gonna be the same guy after recovery . He is in an induced coma because of brain hemorage.
This is loophole in the safety of a car ... yku buy lexus or any ither car because they have five stars and yet you hit something with 60 mph and airbags just sit there and do nothing .

do you know where to contact ( lexus or toyota) so they can look into it ??

many thnx

Roozbeh

Originally Posted by dchar
That's what I was thinking. Not enough force in the right areas to trigger the airbag sensor.

I'm glad the guy survived this severe accident.
Old 07-12-17, 09:16 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

what airbags should go off in an accident like this?

Hope for great recovery, sorry to hear.
Old 07-12-17, 09:21 PM
Roozbehmah
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if "some" airbags could go off , to my knowledge it's all or nothing . But the curtain airbags would've definitley saved him from the severe head trauma .

Originally Posted by Torii
what airbags should go off in an accident like this?

Hope for great recovery, sorry to hear.
Old 07-12-17, 11:27 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

It doesn't appear that the front grill is even pushed in. I'm thinking the impact area was too high for the main airbags to deploy. It looks like the initial impact was just above the hood/bonnet line and into the windshield/windscreen.
Old 07-13-17, 10:05 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

This is my theory...Keep in mind airbags activate using extreme changes in speed, therefore if the initial impact didn't involve the lower portion of the car (where most of the mass is located) then the force of the accident wouldn't slow the car enough to trigger the sensor. Since the accident didn't involve a side impact, the force wasn't directed from the side and it wouldn't trigger those sensors to activate side curtain airbags.

Unfortunately, accidents like the one your friend experienced aren't tested during the crash tests due to the unusualness of the accident. The tests usually involve the lower portion of the car hitting a solid object, or the car is stopped while a moving object hits it. There really isn't any way for them to test for every possible type of accident, so they perform tests based on the majority of cases.

There defintely should be an investigation though. Try calling the customer support number and they can probably direct you to the right department.

Prayers directed towards your friend and his family.

Last edited by dchar; 07-13-17 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-13-17, 06:12 PM
Lazerboy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sad, I sincerely hope everyting goes well for your friend and I wish he recovers.

They should design the airbag deployment so that as soon the frame bends (3 spots) ( using some kind of strains sensors) the airbags should deploy. That or have the pre-collision sensors standard on all cars.

For all cars that is, not only lexus.
Old 07-17-17, 09:45 AM
DiscoMnky
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn. Hope your buddy has a speedy recovery.

I rolled (cartwheeled) a 350Z three times when some dumba$$ driver clipped me into a short steel pole and every single part of the car was crushed in. All of the airbags deployed including side curtains. I was encased in a bubble. They saved my life. I walked away with a bruise on my hand from the nismo shift ****. I don't understand why none your buddy's airbags deployed. It obviously has enough frontal damage to warrant both of the driver's side airbas to deploy.
Old 07-18-17, 09:18 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Contact Lexus have them sort it out.