NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Is premium fuel really needed?

Old 05-03-16, 04:06 PM
jdt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fuel type?

I've been filling my NX with premium unleaded ever since delivery. Gas prices are starting to creep up a bit now that summer is approaching and was wondering if it would be okay to go for mid-range or regular gas instead? I know premium gas is recommended for the NX but just wondering if anyone else is using regular as and if there is any differences in performance or any potential issues
Old 05-03-16, 04:57 PM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jdt
I've been filling my NX with premium unleaded ever since delivery. Gas prices are starting to creep up a bit now that summer is approaching and was wondering if it would be okay to go for mid-range or regular gas instead? I know premium gas is recommended for the NX but just wondering if anyone else is using regular as and if there is any differences in performance or any potential issues
The NX is required not recommended. Which means premium only. I was with a District Tech guy from Lexus and posed the question to him and he said only premium. Do not use mid grade or regular. You will notice significant loss of power as well as low mpg. He said in a pinch you can use regular if that is all is available but immediately go back to premium. This is right from the horses mouth. I would not deviate no matter what advice you get from the forum.
Old 05-03-16, 05:11 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I didn't realize you guys with the turbos had to feed it premium. Just one more thing to like about the hybrid. Of course, we don't get to go as fast though
The following users liked this post:
zozoramelu (04-15-24)
Old 05-03-16, 05:15 PM
SteveDeech
Driver

Except for the 5K premium to buy a hybrid.
The following users liked this post:
zozoramelu (04-15-24)
Old 05-03-16, 06:41 PM
sdiver68
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally I have not been too concerned about the difference in price. However, I recently ran across a station charging $2.10 for Reg and $2.80 for 93. 70c per gallon difference is outrageous IMHO and I'm concerned with depressed gas prices it will become the norm. I was stuck paying for it that time since I needed it for my race bike.
Old 05-03-16, 07:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by sdiver68
Normally I have not been too concerned about the difference in price. However, I recently ran across a station charging $2.10 for Reg and $2.80 for 93. 70c per gallon difference is outrageous IMHO and I'm concerned with depressed gas prices it will become the norm. I was stuck paying for it that time since I needed it for my race bike.
This is the same spread around here (.75 per gal. actually). I agree, a ripoff.
Old 05-03-16, 07:25 PM
Mr645
Pole Position

I have been using both, regular and premium. I have not found any difference in performance, MPG or power. Certainly cannot hurt the engine. If yo can find fuel without Ethanol, you should get 1-2 more MPG, minimal increase in power over E10
Old 05-03-16, 07:41 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

We only use premium because the car is labeled "premium required". However, when we asked the sales person about this, he said the dealership only stocks regular unleaded and they put it in all the cars they sell.
Old 05-03-16, 08:36 PM
NXblue
Rookie

OHh! I won't use regular here, (85 Octane b/c of altitude) but also it can cause early detonation in the cylinder chamber & "pinging". Not good in long run for pistons, crankshaft, etc. Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 05-03-16, 09:05 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDeech
Except for the 5K premium to buy a hybrid.
Well sure, there is that. it isn't actually that much, but regardless, the price difference in fuel and the better mileage combined will never make up the additional cost of the hybrid. Oh well, still like the hybrid. That's why they make a model for every taste.
Old 05-03-16, 10:34 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

You have to use premium but if you're using 91 then your wasting money.

Use 93...it's about the same price as 91 and you get better mpg.
Old 05-03-16, 10:53 PM
NXblue
Rookie

Originally Posted by tresmith00

Well, I guess I'm wasting money because that's all you can get up at this altitude is 91 octane They don't even offer 93 here!
Old 05-04-16, 03:43 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tresmith00

Actually lower octane often give higher MPG. The higher the octane rating, the more difficult the fuel is to ignite. The best power and MPG comes from using the lowest octane possible while avoiding detonation.
Old 05-04-16, 07:53 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Originally Posted by sdiver68
Generally it is a forty to fifty cents a gallon difference. Seventy is gouging.
Old 05-04-16, 08:09 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Originally Posted by Mr645
Actually lower octane often give higher MPG. The higher the octane rating, the more difficult the fuel is to ignite. The best power and MPG comes from using the lowest octane possible while avoiding detonation.
I don't know where you got that information but I believe that is incorrect.

In the end when buying the NX I clearly new that premium gas was a requirement. I guess I don't understand this whole thread. I'm sure all of you new this before buying your new NX and if you didn't, shame on you.

You need to use nothing less than 91 octane. Using less than that can potentionaly harm the engine. The operative word is potentionaly. If your willing to use regular, you are taking a chance.

Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is premium fuel really needed?