NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2017 vs 2018

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 05:43 AM
trailhiker
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2017 vs 2018

I have a non Lexus lease that is ending in Oct. I am looking at getting an NX next and am debating about whether to get a 2017 or wait for the 2018. I have value in my current lease so ending early is of no concern. My dealer has been vague on when the 2018s will actually arrive. Does anyone know in years past when the new model has been available for purchase..Sept or Oct? I've read it sounds like mostly aesthetic changes for 2018 and mulling over whether taking advantage of dealers clearing out the 2017s vs waiting. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 07-02-17, 06:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,571 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I am new here and wondering the same thing. Shopping for a 2017 and I understand new incentives will be released on Thursday July 6th.
Old 07-02-17, 01:52 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,159 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by trailhiker
I have a non Lexus lease that is ending in Oct. I am looking at getting an NX next and am debating about whether to get a 2017 or wait for the 2018. I have value in my current lease so ending early is of no concern. My dealer has been vague on when the 2018s will actually arrive. Does anyone know in years past when the new model has been available for purchase..Sept or Oct? I've read it sounds like mostly aesthetic changes for 2018 and mulling over whether taking advantage of dealers clearing out the 2017s vs waiting. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Depending on your finances but I vote wait. Seems like big improvement.
Fact: the Lexus NX is a popular vehicle, and not just in your city—it’s now a top choice among luxury-minded drivers around the world. It’ fitting, then, that Lexus picked an international stage—the 2017 Shanghai Motor Show—to reveal updates for the new 2018 model:

First, a few exterior highlights: The NX’s front end has been refreshed, with the grille and front bumpers redesigned to fluidly blend into the hood and front doors, which results in a sleeker overall shape. Plus, look closely at those headlamps: they’ve got triple projectors reminiscent of the Lexus LC performance coupe.

And then there’s the interior: Nearly all controls and switches, including the drive mode selector, shift ****, and door handles, now have a metallic satin finish, which nicely elevates the cabin’s premium feel. On the center console, the Remote Touch* interface pad has been enlarged and redesigned for easier operation.

A few other things have gotten bigger: The 2018 NX’s wireless charger tray has grown to accommodate larger smart phones. Also larger: the optional center dashboard display, which is now over 10 inches. Plus the NX’s analog clock has been slightly enlarged for better readability, and it now includes satellite control, which automatically adjusts the time for different time zones.

The technology continues: The model’s USB port-amperage has been increased for faster charging, plus the 2018 NX also adds a foot-operated rear hatch: placing or kicking up a foot toward a sensor beneath the rear-bumper cover will open or close the electrically actuated rear door. Not only that, Lexus Safety System+* is now standard.

The 2018 NX also drives beautifully: On the ride-performance front, the biggest change is the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), which is based on the LC 500’s system for enhanced control and overall handling stability. There’s also several suspension enhancements: the springs, stabilizer bars, and bushings have been retuned for improved turn-in response and steady-state cornering.

Old 07-02-17, 03:21 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Fact: the Lexus NX is a popular vehicle, and not just in your city—it’s now a top choice among luxury-minded drivers around the world. It’ fitting, then, that Lexus picked an international stage—the 2017 Shanghai Motor Show—to reveal updates for the new 2018 model:

First, a few exterior highlights: The NX’s front end has been refreshed, with the grille and front bumpers redesigned to fluidly blend into the hood and front doors, which results in a sleeker overall shape. Plus, look closely at those headlamps: they’ve got triple projectors reminiscent of the Lexus LC performance coupe.

And then there’s the interior: Nearly all controls and switches, including the drive mode selector, shift ****, and door handles, now have a metallic satin finish, which nicely elevates the cabin’s premium feel. On the center console, the Remote Touch* interface pad has been enlarged and redesigned for easier operation.

A few other things have gotten bigger: The 2018 NX’s wireless charger tray has grown to accommodate larger smart phones. Also larger: the optional center dashboard display, which is now over 10 inches. Plus the NX’s analog clock has been slightly enlarged for better readability, and it now includes satellite control, which automatically adjusts the time for different time zones.

The technology continues: The model’s USB port-amperage has been increased for faster charging, plus the 2018 NX also adds a foot-operated rear hatch: placing or kicking up a foot toward a sensor beneath the rear-bumper cover will open or close the electrically actuated rear door. Not only that, Lexus Safety System+* is now standard.

The 2018 NX also drives beautifully: On the ride-performance front, the biggest change is the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), which is based on the LC 500’s system for enhanced control and overall handling stability. There’s also several suspension enhancements: the springs, stabilizer bars, and bushings have been retuned for improved turn-in response and steady-state cornering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86x7B2HSdyo
I agree.

I've been looking to buy an NX for about the last 5 months. The main reason why I haven't pulled the trigger is because I want an NX equipped with the Luxury Package and with the Safety Package and other safety features, and it is has been virtually impossible to find one equipped that way. Lexus has been shipping almost no Luxury Package NX to dealers, and it is rare to find one with the Safety Package. In the last 5 months, there had been no such vehicles shipped to any of the dozen or so dealers within 200 miles of me.

Just in the last week, one of the area dealers got in a 2017 Luxury Package NX with the Safety Package and other safety features. At this point though, I think I'm likely to wait for the 2018s. The mid cycle re-fresh for the NX includes enough nice changes and improvements that, to me, it is worth waiting for and, also, worth paying more for. I haven't completely eliminated the possibility of going with that 2017 NX, but the discounting and price difference would have to be huge for me not to wait for the 2018. While I expect that Luxury Package NXs will continue to be rare for 2018, all of the 2018 NX will have the Safety Package, and that is important to me.

Last edited by lesz; 07-02-17 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-02-17, 04:30 PM
trailhiker
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86x7B2HSdyo
Thanks a lot. 2018 definitely sounds worth it. Any idea on when they might be available or when previous years models have been? Sept, Oct, Nov?
Old 07-02-17, 05:50 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I agree.

I've been looking to buy an NX for about the last 5 months. The main reason why I haven't pulled the trigger is because I want an NX equipped with the Luxury Package and with the Safety Package and other safety features, and it is has been virtually impossible to find one equipped that way. Lexus has been shipping almost no Luxury Package NX to dealers, and it is rare to find one with the Safety Package. In the last 5 months, there had been no such vehicles shipped to any of the dozen or so dealers within 200 miles of me.

Just in the last week, one of the area dealers got in a 2017 Luxury Package NX with the Safety Package and other safety features. At this point though, I think I'm likely to wait for the 2018s. The mid cycle re-fresh for the NX includes enough nice changes and improvements that, to me, it is worth waiting for and, also, worth paying more for. I haven't completely eliminated the possibility of going with that 2017 NX, but the discounting and price difference would have to be huge for me not to wait for the 2018. While I expect that Luxury Package NXs will continue to be rare for 2018, all of the 2018 NX will have the Safety Package, and that is important to me.
I also agree. For me, there has been one primary disappointment. The NX is noisier than any other Lexus we have owned. The rumor is the refreshed 2018 will have better sound deadening. Now I rented a Jeep Renegade recently for a business trip and got a good dose of reality, so the current NX is certainly better than some brands, but compared to past RXs and especially our ES, it seems like quite a bit of road noise intrudes into the cabin. I would take a chance and wait if you can afford it.
Old 07-03-17, 08:49 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 244 Likes on 145 Posts

the 2018 is 100% worth waiting for, looks 100x better on the inside and outside, and i do think if you got the 2017 then sat in a 2018 you would regret it
Old 02-07-18, 11:03 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Has anyone driven both 2017 and 2018 and able to offer comment on the purportedly reduced noise/vibration/harshness? One of things I found when I had the 2015 NX was how choppy the ride was (non F-Sport, no AVS) and the amount of road noise that made it into the cabin.