NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

premier NX vs Luxury RX 2017 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-17, 01:00 PM
goodduck
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default premier NX vs Luxury RX 2017 ?

I am stuck between these two and both look really perfect. I need some help in deciding which one to go with long term? I aim to keep the car. Any ideas or suggestion would be helpful. I am test driving both next week. Thanks.
Old 05-20-17, 01:24 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Your test drive will be your best guide here. The NX is rougher riding and quite a bit noisier inside, but it is a great size for a small family. It does have less cargo capacity but it will be easier to drive and park in crowded environments. Both good choices but your test drive will really be the key to this decision IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
goodduck (05-28-17)
Old 05-22-17, 07:35 PM
hadiguy05
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Your test drive will be your best guide here. The NX is rougher riding and quite a bit noisier inside, but it is a great size for a small family. It does have less cargo capacity but it will be easier to drive and park in crowded environments. Both good choices but your test drive will really be the key to this decision IMHO.
These are 2 completely different vehicles at 2 completely different price points. I agree it'll ultimately come down to the test drive and what you want out of your vehicle. I personally love my NX, but if I had more than 1 child, I'd start looking at the RX for vacation purposes.
goodduck (05-28-17)
Old 05-23-17, 01:42 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hadiguy05
These are 2 completely different vehicles at 2 completely different price points. I agree it'll ultimately come down to the test drive and what you want out of your vehicle. I personally love my NX, but if I had more than 1 child, I'd start looking at the RX for vacation purposes.

Im kind of in the same shoes, i am looking to trade in my wifes 2013 Audi A6 and get into either a fully loaded NX or a base RX.

I am looking to be at a certain price point so its either....RX has the space but wont have the gadgets but the NX seems a bit small.
goodduck (05-28-17)
Old 05-23-17, 02:58 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm currently in the process of trading up to the '17 RX from a '17 NX. Purchased the NX with Premium Package in November for $41k after discount, and hoped that it would work for the long term. Over the past few months, I've had to come to the realization that it's just too small for our needs. Additionally, my wife feels clausterphobic when she rides in it. Dealer is offering $36k on trade in, which isn't terrible for a vehicle that's 7 months old. With tax savings on the trade, it's not nearly as bad as I was planning for.

Last edited by jugdish; 05-24-17 at 05:56 AM.
goodduck (05-28-17)
Old 05-28-17, 09:39 AM
goodduck
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

I have never driven an NX or an RX before. I test drove both and clearly loved the Rx better (NX prem vs RX lux 450h) . To add to the confusion, there is a new Rx Luxury as well as a slightly old Rx premier (which they are bringing later in the week for me to test drive) which I think I might also be interested in. I am slightly tilted towards the Rx for now, as although the premier version has all the specs (love the HUD and the 360 degree pan camera - but not sure if i will use it that frequently!!) and is 4k cheaper than the rx version, I feel I am going to get a better deal with the Rx in the longer term. My use will be around 10k-11k mileage per annum. I don't have a big family, but I do like the extra space for when long distance family come to visit. The slightly old Rx premier is still more expensive (2k+) than the almost brand new Rx Luxury. The Rx has one option that the NX sadly hasn't and to me, the longer I think about it, the more it tilts me towards the RX - that is the sunroof - which opens up. I mean should i ever be in one of those hollywood movie situations and need to get out of my car and doors are jammed - I can always get out from the top! ... Poor joke. sorry!
Thank you for your personal thoughts and input.
the devils adovocate in me says - Long term maintainence is also more expensive for the Rx compared to the Nx. And resale values are better for premier models?? (although I am hoping , that like my IS , I keep it for 10 years). Still anyone who has bought one and then changed to other - your thoughts would be very much appreciated. I agree with you that it depends on how the car makes me feel when driving and it will be my personal choice, but sometimes others stories and views do help negate or strengthen those inner doubts/thoughts that spring up from time to time.

price quoted
NX = £44k after part exchange / £455 pm pcp, New RX lux £48k ish/£485pm for pcp consideration, Rx Prem version 1 yr old 4k miles = £51k ish..

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated - especially what you would consider a good/better deal or a long term better pic. (say colours aren't a problem for me and are same /similar in all 3 shortlisted candidates) (ps. i know some may say that the NX and RX are two diff classes altogether, to me it is an SUV i want, lexus, and both the offers are in my budget at the moment.

Thanks again for any inputs.

Last edited by goodduck; 05-28-17 at 09:51 AM. Reason: forgot to add details.
Old 05-28-17, 03:25 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Ok, I'll just say it. I'm confused. Your account states you are from New York, but the options and models you are quoting are not US models. That said, those of us on the forum that hail from the US can't really contrast the option packages or prices you are referring to. Hopefully there are others on here that can help you compare the packages and prices. I presume you are in the U.K.?

As far as a general comparison goes, if you don't mind the bulkier size and extra ingress height of the RX, there is no doubt it is the nicer and more refined vehicle. It clearly has a larger rear seat and extra cargo area - in addition to the differences I mentioned earlier in this thread. In terms of specific options, that becomes a more difficult comparison as the US doesn't generally get as many options as other countries, even Canada, so I can't offer much advice there.

For just just my wife and I, we appreciate the more compact NX, but miss the quieter and smoother ride of the previous gen RX. We are happy with our decision and would make the same choice given the opportunity to make it again - but without a doubt the NX has more wind and road noise than any Lexus we have owned. That's not to say it is especially bad, just when comparing the two, the RX definitely has some advantages.
goodduck (05-28-17)
Old 05-28-17, 10:51 PM
goodduck
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the confusion. I am in the UK doug.
Thanks.
TechNut (06-02-17)
Old 05-30-17, 03:18 PM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Goodduck, you're not interested in the new Q5? The RX and NX are nice vehicles but they don't have the sportiness of the Audi.

The Jag F-Pace may be worth considering as well.
goodduck (06-01-17)
Old 06-01-17, 03:42 PM
goodduck
Driver School Candidate

Default Choices

Thanks Hubs.

I understand it is a matter of personal taste and to each his own. To me the Q5 just doesn't cut the cloth. It is bland, non-reliable and belongs to a family (VW) that has proven track record of cheating. Lexus is the complete opposite - Its reliability is best known through word of mouth and personal experience. not that it doesn't have issues, but both the NX and the RX to me seem worthwhile. F-pace , i dont know, you are right it does look nice!
Old 06-02-17, 10:14 AM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by goodduck
Thanks Hubs.

I understand it is a matter of personal taste and to each his own. To me the Q5 just doesn't cut the cloth. It is bland, non-reliable and belongs to a family (VW) that has proven track record of cheating. Lexus is the complete opposite - Its reliability is best known through word of mouth and personal experience. not that it doesn't have issues, but both the NX and the RX to me seem worthwhile. F-pace , i dont know, you are right it does look nice!
I went through the same thought process with the Q5. I liked how it drove but I had serious concerns about the reliability and cost to own.

The F-Pace was my second choice. The price and size were comparable to the RX. I had driven it on an extended test drive and I loved everything about it. Unfortunately, I had a horrible experience at the Jaguar dealership.
goodduck (06-03-17)
Old 06-02-17, 06:09 PM
jayinco
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's how we ended up with the NX to replace my 09 TSX (which I still love) after 2 long years of looking (there's nothing I truly love):
1 - We're in our mid-40s with one kid at home....but he is 14 and 6' 2".
2 - I hate SUV/CUVs (I'm a car guy....tried for the GS, Q50, used TL....denied by the wife)
3 - We drove '14 Maxima (deal fell through by $500), '16 Maxima ($42K for a maxima???), '17 RDX (bland styling, bad seats on long travels - we had a '13 RDX), '15&'16 Q5 (good cargo area, tight back seat, but good driving dynamics), '17 QX50 (great back seat for kid, but horrible cargo area...my favorite non-car (325HP and no ground clearance....nuff said), '17QX60 (almost kicking myself for not getting this one, but who needs 2 three-row SUVs?), Accord (felt cheap and load against the rest).

Here's the other thing...how do define "long term" (5, 10, 15 years?)

Funny thing....look at most 10 year-old cars from a cost perspective.....not a lot of difference in price (if you're concerned about resale value). A $35K and $45K car (new) ends up at almost the same point
goodduck (06-03-17)