NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Buying NX Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 09:33 AM
Confused
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying NX Questions??

I've posted previously about the NX ride vs the RX ride. I have an 08 RX (my 4th RX) and I love them but I'm wanting something different that's why the NX appeals to me so much. I'm afraid I will miss the RX ride, spaciousness, and cargo space inside and then I'm stuck with a 3-5 year commitment?? I can't afford a 17 RX so the NX is is attainable. I know that noone else can decide for me but some encouragement or feedback would be helpful.

I've considered leasing but have never leased before and am hesitant about putting money down on a lease which would result in losing my equity which I currently have in my 08 trade-in. If I purchase I just transfer my equity into the new one howeer the payments are double compared to leasing.
Old 05-19-17, 10:04 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry buddy, like you said, the decision is all yours. But here's my personal thoughts. I came from a 04 RX330, it has soft ride and bigger. I was torn between the RX'16 FSport and NX'16 FSport. My reluctance at the time to settle for a base RX'16... I always wondered if I made a mistake. Cause I do like the RX's design both Fsport and base, and the blue that the RX came in was what I really wanted. In the end I got the NX Fsport. After a few camping trips, yes I do realize the difference in cargo space compared to the RX. And the stuff I lugged from Ikea with the RX? There's no way its fitting in the NX. The ride quality is firm on the NX and that's up to you whether you enjoy that or not. The subwoofer rattling on the NX was annoying as hell, but I eventually solved it on my own (Lexus was not helpful). My NX still has some buzzing rattles when I drive on regular roads. I can't seem to find the source and that's annoying. The rear passenger windows will make clanking noises if you open it partially (2inches-3inches) and drive on bad roads. Personally I'd prefer the softer ride in the RX. So before this turns to an essay, I got the NX and now wonder sometimes, what if scenarios. Not very helpful I know... but if I was in your situation with an 08 RX and want an NX, I'd wait till the next generation comes out and not get the first gen NX. Because Lexus advertised that there are more sound and vibration improvements etc. in the 2018.
Old 05-19-17, 11:15 AM
Confused
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

astr0, Thank you soooooo much!! Sounds like your history is the same as my "what-ifs"!!! You are so thoughtful to respond. It's disappointing to be new on this site and not get many responses, which makes me appreciate you taking the time to share your experience!

I'm going to try and wait it out. They've discounted the NX $3,300 off MVSP of $41,303.00 and allowing me $10,000 for my 08 RX w/ 130k miles. If I keep it - it's probably going to need some work eventually due to its high mileage. I thought 10k was probably a fair trade. I would be financing 28k plus tax, license, fees, etc.

When you've had a Lexus you become a little spoiled to the ride and dependability. I always think I'd rather drive a Lexus with 200k + then any other make!! So considering something else doesn't appeal to me in the least. I really don't understand why everyone doesn't drive one, regardless of the model year!! I've had friends (who are driving newer Buicks, Chevrolets, etc.) say it must be nice to be able to drive a Lexus and my reply is - you could drive a used Lexus too for a lot less than you spent on your new vehicle!!! They don't know what they're missing!! So I don't take the abuse!! LOL!!! I just keep driving my 08 and I guarantee it drives and rides better than their late model whatever!!!

I've never bought a brand new Lexus, always one with high mileage, ie 80k and up. So, I've got the fever right now and to be able to buy a brand new one is so tempting!!

Thanks for listening!!
Old 05-19-17, 11:48 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

On the bright side, I do like my car. Its not like I dread my decision to buy the NX. I enjoy driving it. But my wife and I, we're not too attached as well. As our family grows, we'll probably trade it in for a RX in a couple years.

I'm not sure if the 2018 NX will be the same release schedule as the 2017 NX, but if it is, that means you'll wait until at least October. I haven't been keeping up on the 2018 NX news so I can be wrong, maybe Lexus would release it earlier due to it being a refresh for the model.