Fully loaded NX vs. Partially loaded GLC

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 02:19 AM
Confusedd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fully loaded NX vs. Partially loaded GLC

Hi everyone,

I have had this dilemma for quite a while and thought I would ask on this forum. I have a budget of ~$60k CAD and am looking for a compact SUV, mostly for myself (I'm a professional in mid 20s).
I have test driven both NX and GLC. I prioritize safety and really hope to add all the safety features. I plan to keep the car for 5-6 years.

In terms of NX:
Pros:
- Price: with 2018 coming in, I think I have the leverage to lower the price. I saw that some Canadians were able to get fully loaded F-sport for around $55k out-the-door
- Interior space: It's quite comfortable in the back
- Styling: the F-sport model looks quite sporty and liked the "young" feeling, especially with the red seats.
- "Perceived" reliability: People always suggest that Lexus is reliable... despite the fact that the turbo engine has not been proven in terms of long-term reliability, but it is what it is.
Cons:
- Styling: May go out of date in a while.. especially with the aggressive styling
- Relative lack of power: the engine took a while to really keep going...
- Rear visibility: rear visibility was not so great when I test drove twice.
- Multimedia: navigation system is similar to what my parents' 09 RX had... lol.

In terms of GLC:
Pros:
- Drive: the drive was quite fun. I felt planted and the car cornered very well. It was an engaging ride.
- Styling: the styling is more conservative and likely more timeless
- Safety: lots of standard safety features which are important to me.
- Interior: looks very modern and classy.
Cons:
- PRICE: Right now, the one I am looking at is $60k CAD (out the door price) and it does not have memory seats, power adjustable steering column (it's manual lol), and keyless entry. It has a keyless start button, but does not have keyless entry. It also lacks parking sensors (but has rear view camera) and heated steering wheel. In order to add all these, I would have to pay 3k extra. I could pay for it, but I feel like I am falling into the automaker's tactic and I will likely have to wait for the car for a long time.
- ?reliability: MB is not known to be very reliable.. or at least costly to maintain. Having said that, GLC was among top 10 reliable vehicles according to Consumer Report and the predecessor GLK was quite reliable. I am not sure what the long-term reliability would be for this model.

All in all, while I do enjoy the ride of GLC better, I am mostly concerned about its price and lack of options. I know the above options are not "necessary" for a safe daily ride, but I just feel like a $60k car should have them...
Some people tell me that it's better to get a lowly optioned car with better re-sale value and less concern about break-down in the long-term...

Just wondering what your thoughts might be on this...

Thanks!
Old 05-17-17, 03:31 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

IMO when you buy a luxury car the minimum you should be getting for paying more money is reliability. Lexus has been #1 in reliability by J D Power for six years in a row. I am dumbfounded when someone buys a luxury car and than has to continue to pay more money to keep it running. In addition when you pay more money for a car, I guess the manufacturer assumes you will pay more for maintenance. Lexus is the third least to maintain behind it's cousin's the Toyota and Scion. The fact they get good overall ratings on looks, tech, safety and ride is a plus.

http://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-c...ver-1781639773
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
GlenK (05-17-17), TorontoIS (05-17-17)
Old 05-17-17, 04:48 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I would suggest checking the MB forums as they can give some insight as to what problems owners of GLC's are having. It was originally on my list to eventually replace my 04 RX but the more I read and reviewed, the further down the list it went. Also wasn't crazy about their A & B service and the associated costs.
Old 05-17-17, 06:28 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

I tried both before buying my NX...the GLC is horrible value for money in comparison to the NX and won't nearly last as long. I also found the GLC's controls to be strange and the cabin not as nice.
Old 05-17-17, 11:05 AM
dacommitte
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto on the reliability. I have owned 3 German cars in the past and they have all been a nightmare in terms of reliability (especially electrical components). If you plan on leasing then by all means the GLC is a nicer ride but in terms of reliability and resale value.... Lexus all the way.
Old 05-17-17, 01:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If you're keeping the vehicle for 5 or 6 years long term reliability shouldn't be too much of an issue as you'd have either the NX or GLC 1 or 2 years out of warranty. Early reliability info from CR on the GLC (as well as the NX) are "Much Better Than Average" for both.
Old 05-17-17, 02:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Wait for the 2018. The suspension revisions and addition of AVS, reduced NVH, better interior appointments, standard SS+, and new Remote Touch 2.0 like on the LC should make a huge difference.
Old 05-17-17, 02:53 PM
Confusedd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your kind replies.
Indeed it looks like I should wait for the 2018, if I choose to go with NX. I hope the non F-sport version in NA will have the international version of the grille lol.
With respect to GLC, I think most of the early issues (screeching brakes, etc.) seem to have been taken care of by MB. I have a feeling that the cost of ownership, barring the depreciation, would be similar, if we just account for the cost of maintenance/minor repairs. Not sure if anything major will happen in first 5-6 years.

I just am not sure whether the premium of paying for Mercedes GLC without some of the luxury options would be worth it at all.
To me, GLC did drive nicer than NX and subjectively felt "faster" and "safer" as I felt planted to the ground. But.. I will be missing out on... memory seats, keyless entry, parking sensors, etc with my budget lol.
I wonder if the price difference has to do with the chassis/engine?
Old 05-17-17, 03:54 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wait for the 2018. The suspension revisions and addition of AVS, reduced NVH, better interior appointments, standard SS+, and new Remote Touch 2.0 like on the LC should make a huge difference.
Is that for the US model Hoovey?
Lexus usually gives the US customers the shaft while offers better options for other international models.
Old 05-17-17, 04:41 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Is that for the US model Hoovey?
Lexus usually gives the US customers the shaft while offers better options for other international models.
I'm not sure about things like Auto-Folding mirrors, but everything I listed is US Spec bound that I have seen and heard. Take this with a grain of salt though until Lexus comes out with a release month and/or 98xx starts showing up in dealer inventory in 'A' (allocated) status.
The following users liked this post:
GS3Tek (05-19-17)
Old 05-18-17, 11:19 PM
Confused
Driver School Candidate

Great comments on the NX ride!! We are currently driving our 4th RX with 131K on it. I have test drive NX & RX. I love the uniqueness of the NX however the ride/comfort level has a different feel and your replies have helped me understand it better.

My next concern is smaller size than RX. Does it feel cramped, etc. In spite of my concerns I love the look of the NX but worried about getting adjusted to differences. I test drove the RX - nice smooth ride, but I can not afford a new RX. I don't want to buy something and be stuck with it for several years.

Thanks so much!!
Old 05-19-17, 07:35 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

OK, folks. I am really CONFUSED now.

To the OP - Are you Confusedd (double ds) from ON or Confused (single d) from TN?
Old 05-19-17, 11:58 AM
Confused
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I am from Tennessee! I don't like my username Confused but everything I tried was taken so I got so frustrated I just put in Confused and it worked!!! I really need to come up with something that's a little more positive sounding!! Haha!!
Old 05-19-17, 01:17 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Confused
Great comments on the NX ride!! We are currently driving our 4th RX with 131K on it. I have test drive NX & RX. I love the uniqueness of the NX however the ride/comfort level has a different feel and your replies have helped me understand it better.

My next concern is smaller size than RX. Does it feel cramped, etc. In spite of my concerns I love the look of the NX but worried about getting adjusted to differences. I test drove the RX - nice smooth ride, but I can not afford a new RX. I don't want to buy something and be stuck with it for several years.

Thanks so much!!
Yes, the NX will feel "cramped" comparing to your '08 RX. Its rearview side mirrors are smaller, its windows are smaller while the door parts are bigger and taller. It also sits lower. I often have 3 kids with me, an older one on the front passenger while 2 little ones on the back and we feel fine (we are on the smaller sizes - 5'8" - 5'10" ~160 lbs)

There will be a "get used to" period. An NX F-Sport is NOT that much cheaper comparing to a regular RX.
Old 05-19-17, 02:26 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
An NX F-Sport is NOT that much cheaper comparing to a regular RX.
Most NX200t F-Sports sticker for around $44K (Nav, AWD, BSM). A base RX with nothing starts at $43,120, a base RX with something is between $46/47K, but apples to apples, a comparable Nav, AWD RX will usually be packaged at $54K. The F-Sports are roughly $57K.

Quick Reply: Fully loaded NX vs. Partially loaded GLC