NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

🔫 How to Secure Firearm in the NX? 🔐

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 09:56 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 🔫 How to Secure Firearm in the NX? 🔐

For you CCW gun owners with Lexus NXs, what do you recommend for temporary lock box storage of your gun in your vehicle when you can't carry it inside somewhere? (handguns, not long guns)

What do you folks use? Box under the seat? In the cargo area? Is it cabled to something? Bolted to the floor? Etc. Keep in mind your specific state's CCW regulations and that they differ from state to state.

p.s. Please don't reply with a political rant and don't turn this thread into a pro-gun/anti-gun discussion. Thanks!
Old 05-10-17, 01:48 PM
2merc3lex
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink

Mine is in a holster with a strap in the center console (Florida).
Old 05-10-17, 02:36 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by 2merc3lex
Mine is in a holster with a strap in the center console (Florida).
Thanks, @2merc3lex.

Here in California, it's illegal to store your gun in the glove box or console unit. For CCW licensees, we can place it in there as long as we are in the vehicle. When we leave the car, we have to take it with us or secure it in a lock box (or put it in the trunk, if the car has one).
Old 05-10-17, 07:43 PM
2merc3lex
Rookie

Seems like with those restrictions your weapon would serve no useful purpose if you were to find yourself in a bind and needed quick heat. Understand that your laws are mainly for transporting the weapon, and not for quick access in case of emergency.
Old 05-10-17, 07:46 PM
2merc3lex
Rookie

Sorry, I misread your last post. Now I understand you can place in console if you are in the car.
Old 05-11-17, 09:51 AM
dacommitte
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately there are way too many restrictions here in California. I usually just toss my ammo in the glove box and the gun in the trunk when I go out shooting to the Mojave Desert.
Old 05-11-17, 11:28 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by dacommitte
Unfortunately there are way too many restrictions here in California. I usually just toss my ammo in the glove box and the gun in the trunk when I go out shooting to the Mojave Desert.
I hear you. I carry a gun on me everywhere, but there are some places I frequent where they are not allowed (Post Office, etc.) and need to lock it in my NX—following all the CA regulations.
Old 05-11-17, 12:10 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

It's a little tricky, but when I'm out of my car and not carrying, I stow the pistol in a locked boxed that is cabled to the spare tire. It's pretty easy to take it from my holster and put it in the box while still in the car, the tricky part depends on how much "stuff" I have to move to get under the rear floor board.

In over 30 years of concealed carry, I've never kept the weapon on my person except when hiking and flying my airplane in and out of rural/country airports, otherwise it would be a real pain to know what businesses and buildings don't allow weapons, and I prefer de-escalation to confrontation.

Also, doing it this way sets a habit pattern for me when I drive south to California where the laws are a little more restrictive than in Washington and Oregon.
Old 05-11-17, 12:26 PM
mtnman
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I've done for years, except that my locked box is small enough to be cabled to the seat support (underneath) in most cars.

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
It's a little tricky, but when I'm out of my car and not carrying, I stow the pistol in a locked boxed that is cabled to the spare tire. It's pretty easy to take it from my holster and put it in the box while still in the car, the tricky part depends on how much "stuff" I have to move to get under the rear floor board.