NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dealer Car Wash Prior to Pick Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-17, 09:52 PM
chenh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Car Wash Prior to Pick Up

Hi, I just bought a new Lexus NX200t, waiting to pick it up next week, should I remind my dealer not to wash my new car when they prepare for my pick up? Is this something that I should concern or I should trust that dealer will not damage my new car's paint?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-17, 09:59 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

couldn't hurt to remind them, don't think they'll be upset to have one less thing to do
Old 04-23-17, 06:15 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

My dealer only hand wash so I actually go there for free wash. But if your dealer uses soft touch Auto wash machine then it won't hurt telling them NOT to wash, they'll be happy to hear that.
Old 04-23-17, 06:21 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

When I went to my dealer for 6 months servicing, I was asked if I wanted it washed. I asked the guy if it was hand wash, he told me no, they use machine. I said no thanks, would've declined even if hand wash though. The interesting thing is on the service receipt, it stays declined hand wash.
Old 04-23-17, 06:57 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

It's hard to say. Our new NX had been on the lot for about three months so it had been washed already by the people with the portable truck - during the winter in freezing temps. They had to buff water spots out of the roof and the lower door panels where the angle isn't completely vertical. This is strictly my opinion, but that prep for a new car delivery might be the one time you get a careful wash. I assume you have an opportunity to inspect the car before making the final decision?

Sorry I don't have better advice. I would want it clean so I can do a thorough inspection when I pick up the vehicle - so any damage can be noted or take a pass on the car.
Old 04-23-17, 07:02 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
It's hard to say. Our new NX had been on the lot for about three months so it had been washed already by the people with the portable truck - during the winter in freezing temps. They had to buff water spots out of the roof and the lower door panels where the angle isn't completely vertical. This is strictly my opinion, but that prep for a new car delivery might be the one time you get a careful wash. I assume you have an opportunity to inspect the car before making the final decision?

Sorry I don't have better advice. I would want it clean so I can do a thorough inspection when I pick up the vehicle - so any damage can be noted or take a pass on the car.
Completely misread the OP's question before. Agree here. The new car delivery is when the dealer puts extra attention to get it nice and cleaned. Although some people still prefer not to have the dealer touch it or remove the protective sheets on the car, because they would take the car directly to their shop to get it wrapped with Xpel etc.
Old 04-23-17, 10:18 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Agree new car should be properly washed and prepared by dealer,
if it's not sat on the lot long, there should be minimal oxidation. Immediately bring home and apply protection.
Even after dealer wash, you may find tape adhesive marks to be removed first.
Unless the specific dealer has horrible reputation which is rare for Lexus.
My NX was delivered in pristine detailed condition.
But it's silver, difficult to see scratches.
However we did same process with midnight mica on 2017 RX350.
Once the protection/sealant is done, then it can be easily maintained with minimal marks when dusting, detailing.
Old 04-23-17, 10:47 AM
hadiguy05
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Every brand new or CPO vehicle I've bought, I required the dealership to send it to a detail shop of my choosing for an assessment and detail prior to purchase. That 3rd party assessment was used to determine the condition of the vehicle. They have grumbled and complained, but ultimately did what I required, prior to purchase.