NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

CPO status?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-21, 09:31 PM
LexiLexus4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO status?

Hello new to the forum, but not to cars.

so long story short, i just got a 2017 NX fsport at the beginning of march. Here is where im confused. during the signing and negotiation i was told the car is CPO. while signing paperwork it was repeated that "the nice thing about CPO lexus is i get an additional 2 years and my warranty doesnt expire until 2023" however i never signed any CPO paper work or anything. upon reading over my contract and what not, the paperwork states it is a "used car" not a CPO. i tried running my vin on Lexus.com but nothing pops up on the status of it being CPO.

if that wasnt confusing enough, on the copy of the carfax, it stats on jan 20th of 2021 the car was Certified by lexus. so now im not sure if its CPO or not.

can anyone clear up this confusion? i plan on calling both the dealer and lexus but im not sure how far i will get with either.

thanks in advance
Old 03-29-21, 02:40 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

You get a letter in the mail a few weeks after you purchase the vehicle. Showing the benefits of a CPO and the warranty dates.

You can also try taking it back and ask about the cars status at the service department. With the CPO you should be getting the next 4 service visits with no charge.
The following users liked this post:
LexMan2003 (03-29-21)
Old 03-29-21, 05:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LexiLexus4

so long story short, i just got a 2017 NX fsport at the beginning of march. Here is where im confused. during the signing and negotiation i was told the car is CPO. while signing paperwork it was repeated that "the nice thing about CPO lexus is i get an additional 2 years and my warranty doesnt expire until 2023" however i never signed any CPO paper work or anything. upon reading over my contract and what not, the paperwork states it is a "used car" not a CPO. i tried running my vin on Lexus.com but nothing pops up on the status of it being CPO.

if that wasnt confusing enough, on the copy of the carfax, it stats on jan 20th of 2021 the car was Certified by lexus. so now im not sure if its CPO or not.

can anyone clear up this confusion? i plan on calling both the dealer and lexus but im not sure how far i will get with either.

thanks in advance
Carfax is usually right, I would confirm the extended warranty with the dealer since you already paid for it the CPO .
Old 03-29-21, 05:20 AM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LexiLexus4

thanks in advance
Call the 1-800 Lexus corporate/head office. THEY should have a record of this in their computer and they will tell you this on the phone. Don't bother calling the dealship (not as reliable/official as calling the corp/head office).

As RXWes said, you SHOULD get a letter from Lexus several weeks after your purchase. This letter CLEARLY states that you are L/Certified along with your VIN and effective dates. It also includes 2 paper wallet cards.

Old 03-29-21, 06:27 AM
chadhargis
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to the Lexus owners website or mobile application and look in the service history. You should see something like this in the service history shortly before it went up for sale.

Service: CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED PDI
description: CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED PDI ~|~CERTIFIED
Old 03-29-21, 06:49 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The selling dealer should also be able to give you a copy of the completed 161 point checklist. You should be able to see that everything was checked, which items needed repairs or other attention, and what the condition is of things like the brakes and tires. If they don't have a copy to give to you, it is likely that the required checks were not done and that they shouldn't be charging you the premium price for a CPO vehicle.

Here is a link that will show you which items should have been checked.

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...t-brochure.pdf
Old 03-29-21, 07:05 AM
chadhargis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
The selling dealer should also be able to give you a copy of the completed 161 point checklist. You should be able to see that everything was checked, which items needed repairs or other attention, and what the condition is of things like the brakes and tires. If they don't have a copy to give to you, it is likely that the required checks were not done and that they shouldn't be charging you the premium price for a CPO vehicle.

Here is a link that will show you which items should have been checked.

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...t-brochure.pdf
Yep...I got one of those too. I was surprised to see how much they replaced. Four new Michelin tires, a new center armrest because it was "worn".
Old 03-29-21, 02:13 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chadhargis
Yep...I got one of those too. I was surprised to see how much they replaced. Four new Michelin tires, a new center armrest because it was "worn".
It is good that you got the new tires. When the CPO inspection is done, both tires and brakes will pass the inspection if they have as little as 30% of their usable life left, and, if that is the case, they CPO buyer can end up spending $2000 on new tires and new brakes within months of buying that CPO vehicle.
chadhargis (04-01-21)
Old 03-30-21, 02:40 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
It is good that you got the new tires. When the CPO inspection is done, both tires and brakes will pass the inspection if they have as little as 30% of their usable life left, and, if that is the case, they CPO buyer can end up spending $2000 on new tires and new brakes within months of buying that CPO vehicle.
Those are some nice tires at 500 each. I just replaced my 4 RX350 Bridgestones with some Michelin LTX tires for a thousand dollars installed.
Old 04-01-21, 10:51 AM
chadhargis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXWes
Those are some nice tires at 500 each. I just replaced my 4 RX350 Bridgestones with some Michelin LTX tires for a thousand dollars installed.
Yep...Last tires I put on a vehicle was a couple of years ago. A nice set of Michelins and they were $800 mounted and balanced (which included a lifetime balance and road hazard warranty).

I'd never pay anyone to do the brakes on my car. A) I don't trust them, B) I can do it in a couple of hours in my garage as well as clean and inspect everything while I have the car up on jack stands.
LexMan2003 (04-01-21)
Old 04-01-21, 11:05 AM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chadhargis
Yep...Last tires I put on a vehicle was a couple of years ago. A nice set of Michelins and they were $800 mounted and balanced (which included a lifetime balance and road hazard warranty).

I'd never pay anyone to do the brakes on my car. A) I don't trust them, B) I can do it in a couple of hours in my garage as well as clean and inspect everything while I have the car up on jack stands.
I agree with you, Chadhargis.

I try to do whatever I can on my car. Not only will I possibly save a few $$$, but I will KNOW it was done RIGHT. If I make a mistake along the way, I have no one to blame but myself.
Old 04-01-21, 12:30 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXWes
If you re-read what I said, I did not say that replacement tires would cost $500 each (or $2000 for a set of 4). Instead, I said that, if, a few months after buying a CPO vehicle, the buyer needs to replace the tires and brakes, he/she could have a $2000 expense, and that is especially true if the tire replacement and brake work was done at a Lexus dealer.
Old 03-09-23, 12:40 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Wrong reply. Mods please delete.