NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Toymom takes a test drive!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 02:10 PM
Toymom
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Toymom takes a test drive!

So after work today I drove over to the Lexus dealer that is near my office to check out the NX's.

When I walked up there was an Ultra White FSport w/red interior parked out front, but was locked. I walked inside and they had an Eminent White 200t w/flaxen interior inside the showroom and an Atomic Silver 200t w/flaxen too (I thought the AS w/flaxen was kind of an ugly combo). The white with the flaxen was nice though.

I sat in the white/flaxen 200t to get a feel and it was pretty comfortable, but I wanted to sit in the FSport seats because I've heard so much about them being uncomfortable. The young sales guy, Austin, took me out and opened the FSport and I immediately saw and felt the difference...yeah, not as comfortable. Matter of fact when you sit there is like a hard ridge that kind of digs into your thighs. Now I'm not a super skinny gal, but I'm not overly huge either, but I definitely felt this ridge/seam. Austin, the sales guy asked if I wanted to drive it, so I thought sure. Now I have to say that once I started driving it, and I kind of adjusted myself in the seat, the seat didn't seem to be as uncomfortable and really didn't notice any discomfort. And I really liked the way it drove. When I got back to the dealership I again sat in the 200t version and yeah there is a notable difference in the feel of the seats. But I do think I could get used to the FSport seats.....my husband, well that might be a different story. He's 6'1" and about 210 lbs., so I'm not sure how comfortable it will be for him and the NX will be the car we use when going out together.

I do love the look of the FSport though!! I love the Ultra White with the red! And Austin said that the MRM w/black interior in the FSport was really sharp looking and you don't see many of them around. They had one there the other day but sold it and didn't have one for me to look at today, but he seemed to like that combo in the FSport.

Anyway, I may have to take my husband out and let him sit in it/drive it before I make a decision. Just wanted to update you all on my NX buying saga!! LOL!
Old 03-28-17, 02:24 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Toymom
So after work today I drove over to the Lexus dealer that is near my office to check out the NX's.

When I walked up there was an Ultra White FSport w/red interior parked out front, but was locked. I walked inside and they had an Eminent White 200t w/flaxen interior inside the showroom and an Atomic Silver 200t w/flaxen too (I thought the AS w/flaxen was kind of an ugly combo). The white with the flaxen was nice though.

I sat in the white/flaxen 200t to get a feel and it was pretty comfortable, but I wanted to sit in the FSport seats because I've heard so much about them being uncomfortable. The young sales guy, Austin, took me out and opened the FSport and I immediately saw and felt the difference...yeah, not as comfortable. Matter of fact when you sit there is like a hard ridge that kind of digs into your thighs. Now I'm not a super skinny gal, but I'm not overly huge either, but I definitely felt this ridge/seam. Austin, the sales guy asked if I wanted to drive it, so I thought sure. Now I have to say that once I started driving it, and I kind of adjusted myself in the seat, the seat didn't seem to be as uncomfortable and really didn't notice any discomfort. And I really liked the way it drove. When I got back to the dealership I again sat in the 200t version and yeah there is a notable difference in the feel of the seats. But I do think I could get used to the FSport seats.....my husband, well that might be a different story. He's 6'1" and about 210 lbs., so I'm not sure how comfortable it will be for him and the NX will be the car we use when going out together.

I do love the look of the FSport though!! I love the Ultra White with the red! And Austin said that the MRM w/black interior in the FSport was really sharp looking and you don't see many of them around. They had one there the other day but sold it and didn't have one for me to look at today, but he seemed to like that combo in the FSport.

Anyway, I may have to take my husband out and let him sit in it/drive it before I make a decision. Just wanted to update you all on my NX buying saga!! LOL!
That is a good start. next time when you drive it. Make sure you turn it into SPORT MODE. In this mode the NX acts similar as the Tacoma with the OLD 4.0L V6 but more refine.
Old 03-28-17, 04:08 PM
IgoZoom99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! There is just something about that Ultra White F-Sport with the Red interior that looks AMAZING!
The Atomic Silver with Flaxen sounds like an odd combo to me as well. But it could be even worse- according to the color chart in the brochure, you could get Flaxen interior with the Matador Red Mica or Blue Vortex Metallic! Imagine the Blue Vortex (bright, almost electric, blue) with that interior....that would be a boat anchor sitting on the lot that they'd never unload...

I remember the early 90s, when I started driving, I had several late 80s and early 90s model Hondas and Acuras. They only offered one interior color with each exterior color. For example, one year the Taffeta White Accord had reddish-brown interior, then the next few years it was somewhere between a royal and navy blue. You had to pick out the interior colors you could tolerate, then pick the exteriors that came with those interiors. Thankfully, things have changed a lot....even if that means some UGLY color combo.

About the F-Sport seats and your hubby- definitely have him drive it and sit in them for a while. I am 6'2" and 230ish (and by 230ish, I mean 250) and I love the F-Sport seats! They're nothing if not VERY supportive...although they're too aggressively bolstered for some tastes (and for a Lexus).

I'm glad you enjoyed the test drive. Obviously, you are intimately familiar with the feel, handling and performance of the RAV4. I've rented them on a few occasions. When I drove the NX F-Sport, I couldn't believe the two models were related in any way.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-28-17, 04:17 PM
IgoZoom99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
That is a good start. next time when you drive it. Make sure you turn it into SPORT MODE. In this mode the NX acts similar as the Tacoma with the OLD 4.0L V6 but more refine.
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! I would hope that the Lexus salesperson would explain the driving modes and allow you to drive it in each mode to discern the differences. In my case, I bought my 2016 F-Sport from a Mercedes-Benz dealer and they knew very little about the NX. When I started the test drive, it was in ECO mode. It felt like the parking brake was on or perhaps I was towing a barge, even at full throttle. Switching it over to Normal made a huge improvement in throttle response and SPORT made it even better. In particular, the SPORT mode affects transmission shift points. It holds gears longer if needed and downshifts are almost instantaneous when you floor it.
Old 03-28-17, 04:21 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

the F-Sport seat bolsters were what knocked that off my list and got me into the non-F-Sport model (there's a whole thread about this). Sport mode is great and I use it when accelerating onto the highway. But it's annoying that it resets to normal mode each time you turn off the car.
Old 03-28-17, 04:41 PM
Toymom
Rookie

Originally Posted by IgoZoom99
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! I would hope that the Lexus salesperson would explain the driving modes and allow you to drive it in each mode to discern the differences. In my case, I bought my 2016 F-Sport from a Mercedes-Benz dealer and they knew very little about the NX. When I started the test drive, it was in ECO mode. It felt like the parking brake was on or perhaps I was towing a barge, even at full throttle. Switching it over to Normal made a huge improvement in throttle response and SPORT made it even better. In particular, the SPORT mode affects transmission shift points. It holds gears longer if needed and downshifts are almost instantaneous when you floor it.
You know it's funny, I mentioned the different driving modes while we were out. He said we were in "normal" mode...but I never thought to ask him to switch to "sport" mode. Not that that really matters to me much. I liked the way the car drove and I like the looks of it. The "seat" thing is the only thing holding me back from getting the FSport. A couple people at work (remember everyone at work has either a Lexus or Toyota) told me that the seats were uncomfortable, but I really didn't believe them, thought they were exaggerating.....till I sat in them myself. Our orders go in on the 15th of the month, so I have a couple weeks before submitting my order, so we'll see.
Old 03-28-17, 05:54 PM
hadiguy05
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sat in the white/flaxen 200t to get a feel and it was pretty comfortable, but I wanted to sit in the FSport seats because I've heard so much about them being uncomfortable. The young sales guy, Austin, took me out and opened the FSport and I immediately saw and felt the difference...yeah, not as comfortable. Matter of fact when you sit there is like a hard ridge that kind of digs into your thighs. Now I'm not a super skinny gal, but I'm not overly huge either, but I definitely felt this ridge/seam. Austin, the sales guy asked if I wanted to drive it, so I thought sure. Now I have to say that once I started driving it, and I kind of adjusted myself in the seat, the seat didn't seem to be as uncomfortable and really didn't notice any discomfort. And I really liked the way it drove. When I got back to the dealership I again sat in the 200t version and yeah there is a notable difference in the feel of the seats. But I do think I could get used to the FSport seats.....my husband, well that might be a different story. He's 6'1" and about 210 lbs., so I'm not sure how comfortable it will be for him and the NX will be the car we use when going out

I'm 6'1, 210 lbs and love the way the seat feels in the f sport. However, I'm used to racing style seats. These seats IMO are a good balance between comfort and function. Only time will tell how the bolstered seats hold up though. Ultimately, that could be an issue.
Old 03-29-17, 11:06 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

You know it's funny, I mentioned the different driving modes while we were out. He said we were in "normal" mode...but I never thought to ask him to switch to "sport" mode. Not that that really matters to me much. I liked the way the car drove and I like the looks of it. The "seat" thing is the only thing holding me back from getting the FSport. A couple people at work (remember everyone at work has either a Lexus or Toyota) told me that the seats were uncomfortable, but I really didn't believe them, thought they were exaggerating.....till I sat in them myself. Our orders go in on the 15th of the month, so I have a couple weeks before submitting my order, so we'll see.
It will matter when you want to pass a slow car, esp. if you have other passengers.
Old 03-29-17, 12:33 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i would really pay attention to the infotainment/nav system to make sure you like it. I miss my real leather seats...but wife loves the nx fsport.
Old 03-29-17, 02:44 PM
Toymom
Rookie

Originally Posted by Torii
i would really pay attention to the infotainment/nav system to make sure you like it. I miss my real leather seats...but wife loves the nx fsport.
I'm not getting the navigation system, I've had it in all my vehicles and never really use it...so why pay for it. As far as leather, that doesn't bother me and I heard the nulux holds up better than leather anyway. I have a '13 RAV4 with faux leather and it doesn't really bother me.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
It will matter when you want to pass a slow car, esp. if you have other passengers.
Well, it not why I'm buying the FSport, but I guess the extra power will be nice to have sometimes.
Old 03-29-17, 06:10 PM
Tmymck
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I am 6ft 280 and not muscular if you know what I mean. I have had my atomic silver f sport for almost three weeks. After several seat adjustments I did find a sweet spot and I am comfortable in it. Really don't like the front of non f sport. I drive about 90 miles a day round trip. Love it
Old 04-02-17, 08:29 AM
Toymom
Rookie

So I just found out this week that my company is placing a hold on ordering vehicles June-September due to restructuring the associate lease program. Don't have all the details yet, but they mentioned pricing changes, plus other changes. I was going to place the order this month, but I think I'm going to wait to see what the changes will be before ordering.