NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

My new CPO 2015 NX200t AWD - Hail Damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 05:24 PM
jimbug
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I'd love to pass it along free of charge to someone here at Club Lexus. If we could think of a fair way to have a random draw. I'll even pay shipping:-) I bet my adjuster wouldn't mind. Will check on that when I speak with them again next week.
Old 03-31-17, 06:02 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbug
Yes, I'd love to pass it along free of charge to someone here at Club Lexus. If we could think of a fair way to have a random draw. I'll even pay shipping:-) I bet my adjuster wouldn't mind. Will check on that when I speak with them again next week.
I'd be interested in those racks.
Old 04-04-17, 05:04 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

That looks like one of my company's estimates....
If it was me, I would've asked for an appearance allowance on that roof rack to cut down that large deductible... Post pictures when it's finished!
Old 04-18-17, 03:47 PM
jimbug
Driver

Default Got car back from auto body today

My wife and I drove up to Knoxville today to pick up our NX200t after the hail damage. Looks good, and I'll get a nice wax and polish on it after 90 days.

They had to keep the old dented cross bars.

Old 04-18-17, 04:17 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

It looks great.

It is precisely because of the possibility of the unexpected happening, like your hail damage, that I have an Obsidian ES and a Black Onyx GX sitting in my garage. Yes, I know that black cars show dust more readily than other colors, and surface scratches also show more readily, but dust and dirt can easily be washed off, and surface scratches and polishing swirls can easily be removed. On the other hand, whether it is because of hail storm, a careless driver, a runaway shopping cart, or some other unexpected happening, if paint work is required, non-metallic blacks are about the only colors for which any decent paint shop can do paint work and end up with what is essentially a perfect color match.

With most other colors, regardless of how skilled the paint technician is, my eye will catch on even minor imperfections in a paint match. Some of the multi-stage pearls, like pearl whites and the Lexus Atomic Silver are really beautiful colors, but I know that, if I had a vehicle with one of those colors and if I ever needed even minor paint work done on it, I'd never be completely satisfied with the paint match. And the non-metallic blacks are also, by far, the easiest colors for which to do touch-ups of tiny paint chips.

I recall a thread about a year on the ES board started by someone who had similar hail damage on his Atomic Silver ES. The paint work turned out to be a complete nightmare, and he ultimately ended up selling off the vehicle, I'm sure at a considerable loss.

Enjoy your new-again NX.
Old 04-27-17, 04:44 AM
fixadent
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimbug
Those dents above the doors near the roof rails will need traditional body work and paint. I guess there are several thicknesses of sheet metal there which make it difficult/impossible to use PDR techniques on. :-)
Correct !
The cant rails cannot be accessed from behind, but we use glue pulling systems to remove unaccessible dents.
We can repair the vast majority of hail dents, until they become ridiculously big, then we "push to paint", to reduce the work for traditional repairs.
Glad you were happy with the outcome for your beast
Old 04-27-17, 12:12 PM
jimbug
Driver

Thanks for your comments lesz and fixadent. I've learned a lot about the PDR process through this, and about new techniques that continue to improve. This hail damage and repair was a little easier to take since this new-to-me vehicle already had imperfections in the paint and chips. It was a 47k miles CPO snowbird car driven in NY and FL. Most of the chips were repaired in this process. They even touched up some chips that were on the doors nowhere near the hail damage. So the vehicle looks better than it did before the hail damage. The hood had more than a dozen imperfections in the paint that are all now gone. I had visited a highly recommended detail shop the day before the hail storm to get those spots buffed out. I made an appointment, but the hail storm came the day before the appointment. I'll be taking it there after 90 days of letting the paint cure to have it polished and waxed.