NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Non F-Sport to F-Sport Front Bumper Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-17, 10:25 PM
oldwineguy
Lead Lap

Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Non F-Sport to F-Sport Front Bumper Conversion

We have a 2017 NX 300h because my wife wanted to stay with a hybrid (previously a RX 450h), but like the look of the F-Sport. Has anyone looked at doing a full F-Sport front bumper conversion? Any idea what the cost would be? Looks like it could be done, and would be bumper, grill, fog lights, lip sections and other miscellaneous parts.
Old 03-13-17, 09:13 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ll-bumper.html

This thread has some info on the swap.
The following users liked this post:
oldwineguy (03-14-17)
Old 03-14-17, 05:48 AM
oldwineguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by olgzr
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ll-bumper.html

This thread has some info on the swap.
Thanks, but that's was more about the non NA bumper which is just the grill swap. I was looking to do the full US bumper swap.
Old 03-14-17, 09:44 AM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

The fog light connector is different. Base model uses the standard (H7 or H11 style?) 2-pin socket. F-sport model requires a non-standard 4-pin style connector. If you're handy with electricals, maybe you can do your own wiring harness.
Old 03-14-17, 09:50 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

There was a thread here with an international member (from Singapore I think) where he did the whole front end conversion.
I remembered he mentioned he carried the whole F-sport bumper on the plane

I tried searching but can't find it.

I only find a thread with a diagram of replacing the grill only:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...port-mods.html

OK, found it.
Apparently, he also has an F sport front bumper already, just different grill as previously discussed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...deflector.html

Last edited by GS3Tek; 03-14-17 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-22-19, 04:18 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 749 Likes on 466 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by oldwineguy
We have a 2017 NX 300h because my wife wanted to stay with a hybrid (previously a RX 450h), but like the look of the F-Sport. Has anyone looked at doing a full F-Sport front bumper conversion? Any idea what the cost would be? Looks like it could be done, and would be bumper, grill, fog lights, lip sections and other miscellaneous parts.

Did you ever do the conversion? I ask because I want to do the same to my wife's 18'. I can't stand the front end of the non F sport but she did not want the F sport due to the interior. She hated it. Her NX would be perfect if it didn't have the odd shark over bite look...lol

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 01-22-19, 07:06 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
Did you ever do the conversion? I ask because I want to do the same to my wife's 18'. I can't stand the front end of the non F sport but she did not want the F sport due to the interior. She hated it. Her NX would be perfect if it didn't have the odd shark over bite look...lol

Thanks,
-Nigel
I agree 100% with this. I have gotten used to the grill and it doesn’t bother me as much any more however. I no longer dislike it so much that I would be willing to pay the cost of a conversion, which is likely to be pretty steep.
Old 01-23-19, 06:17 AM
oldwineguy
Lead Lap

Thanks,
-Nigel
Not yet, still trying to work a deal on getting it done. Was quoted $5K from the same shop kukudm has his done at, which was a little more than I wanted to spend on it.
Old 01-23-19, 08:19 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 749 Likes on 466 Posts

Dang $5k is ridiculous amount... Did they break down how much of that was labor. I could imagine most shops probably charging at least a grand to do it. Taking the bumper off and on and in general taking these cars apart is pretty easy/straight forward. They are Toyotas and Toyotas are very simple when it comes to how things are buttoned up.

I believe we are going to the dealer for the last "free" service for her NX. I am going to get with the parts guys and should have a much better idea/cost and can post up, and hopefully have part numbers needed. If the bumpers come painted from the factory then I will more than likely do it since the bumper cover is cheap at $400 and then misc stuff will add up in there. Fog lights, brackets..etc.. If the bumpers do NOT come painted, I won't go through with it mainly because I don't want to have to deal with a body shop and the costs associated with it. I remember when I bought a power dome hood for my Ranger which I paid $30 used for the hood... ended up paying $400 just to have it painted by the bodyshop. Our Mercedes had a rock get kicked up and dent the hood, scuffed the windshield. The MB collision center charged insurance roughly $4800 to fix said damage. It was bananas...

I'll update shortly.

-Nigel
Old 01-24-19, 08:54 PM
oldwineguy
Lead Lap

Dang $5k is ridiculous amount... Did they break down how much of that was labor. I could imagine most shops probably charging at least a grand to do it. Taking the bumper off and on and in general taking these cars apart is pretty easy/straight forward. They are Toyotas and Toyotas are very simple when it comes to how things are buttoned up.

I believe we are going to the dealer for the last "free" service for her NX. I am going to get with the parts guys and should have a much better idea/cost and can post up, and hopefully have part numbers needed. If the bumpers come painted from the factory then I will more than likely do it since the bumper cover is cheap at $400 and then misc stuff will add up in there. Fog lights, brackets..etc.. If the bumpers do NOT come painted, I won't go through with it mainly because I don't want to have to deal with a body shop and the costs associated with it. I remember when I bought a power dome hood for my Ranger which I paid $30 used for the hood... ended up paying $400 just to have it painted by the bodyshop. Our Mercedes had a rock get kicked up and dent the hood, scuffed the windshield. The MB collision center charged insurance roughly $4800 to fix said damage. It was bananas...

I'll update shortly.

-Nigel
I think they said all the parts were close to $3K. I also wanted the wheel arches painted body color.
Old 01-30-19, 11:53 AM
PatAllen9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2016 NX200t. My wife wanted the non F - sport for the interior, but I want to upgrade the grille to get away from the nurse shark overbite look. I've found the F- sport grille and the silver lining to go under the grille, which seems to be the only parts needed to upgrade the grille from a non F-sport to the F-sport, and the total for parts is ~ $400. Are these

F-Sport Grille

F-Sport Underlining for grille

Any reason this mod wouldn't work? I've got a local guy who says he can do the install for $100, so out the door for $500. Am I missing anything?
Old 01-30-19, 12:29 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PatAllen9
I have a 2016 NX200t. My wife wanted the non F - sport for the interior, but I want to upgrade the grille to get away from the nurse shark overbite look. I've found the F- sport grille and the silver lining to go under the grille, which seems to be the only parts needed to upgrade the grille from a non F-sport to the F-sport, and the total for parts is ~ $400. Are these

F-Sport Grille

F-Sport Underlining for grille

Any reason this mod wouldn't work? I've got a local guy who says he can do the install for $100, so out the door for $500. Am I missing anything?
it’s a whole different bumper design, the f sport bumper also has different fog lights. so pretty much everything has to be replaced, i suggest looking on local classifieds and junkyards to see if they have any complete bumpers with the grille, fog lights, and parking sensors
Old 01-30-19, 12:46 PM
PatAllen9
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the swift reply. Sounds as thought its going to be a bigger project than anticipated. If I come across any shortcuts I'll be sure to post back to the group.
Old 01-30-19, 06:36 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a thought, since the F-Sport grille is split into two pieces, i think the top piece might fit on the regular bumper.

that’s the regular grille and the mounting points looks like it could just be a direct swap. not sure though, i wonder if anyone has tried this
Old 01-30-19, 08:59 PM
PatAllen9
Driver School Candidate

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. I have a Mercedes Sprinter that was imported by dodge and had the dodge grille on it. I switched it out with the Mercedes grille, which is is a little different shape, but the mounting brackets were in the same place, so it was an easy swap out.

Has anyone tried doing a straight swap with just the top portion?

QUOTE=Danny200t;10425449]

Just a thought, since the F-Sport grille is split into two pieces, i think the top piece might fit on the regular bumper.

that’s the regular grille and the mounting points looks like it could just be a direct swap. not sure though, i wonder if anyone has tried this
[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Non F-Sport to F-Sport Front Bumper Conversion