NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX 2017 and Homelink Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-17, 08:54 PM
DrDoom78
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default NX 2017 and Homelink Troubleshooting

So in 24 hrs, I have gone through about every possible problem programing my 2017 Lexus NX Homelink. Here's my saga, and I hope it saves your time.
I have an external community garage and 2nd private garage and a universal remote, and I had to go through every iteration to make both work.

1. Garage Door A - is an older garage door opener that uses DIP switches. AKA Non-rolling.
-These are most common for community garages
-The remotes tend to be larger and use a 9 volt battery. I've seen many people with a the common large gray "Multi-Code" remote for a community garage.
-If you open the remote, you will see about 8-12 little switches that sets the code.

2. Garage Door B - is a newer craftsman model that uses a "Rolling" code. All "newer" garage doors use them.

3. I have a Universal Chamberlain remote (2 button - Model KLIK1U that uses a 3 Volt coin cell lithium CR2032 battery).
-This Remote is able to program both styles of doors and let me use 1 remote for both garage doors.
-Now that I have Homelink, I thought great! No more remote. Well it took some effort, but I finally got it to work.

4. All the directions out there are really not accurate for the newer style. Even the Owner's Manual and the Homelink website give unnecessary & inaccurate information.

Here are some basics
1. If you press Button 1 and Button 3 at the same time for about 20-30 seconds, you will get a FLASHING GREEN light. This means all the codes are cleared
2. If you press a single button and it flashes SLOW ORANGE - there is no code and it wants to learn
3. If you press a single button and you have FLASHING GREEN - its almost there, but not done yet.
4. If you press a single button and it is SOLID GREEN - it has a code saved.

Garage Door A. The DIP switch AKA non-rolling type.
1. Press the button you wish to program (you do NOT need to hold it down, press it Once and it will flash slowly for about a minute). SLOW ORANGE is ready to learn a code. GREEN means you should reset all the codes (see above).
2. I pointed my garage door opener at it from all angles. From right in front, behind, middle of the windshield, 4 inches, 6 inches, 12 inches. None of them would sync with the Homelink. I spent a lot of time with this, none of these positions worked.
3. It did sync when I held the remote against the Mirror on the LEFT side of the middle/upper portion of the rear-view mirror. It did finally catch and started flashing green rapidly. Home FREE!?! Nope. FLASHING GREEN does not work. If yours turned SOLID GREEN, you should be good. If its flashing green, read on.
4. I believe my universal remote (I had a fresh battery) is not strong enough for the DIP signal. It did work for the rolling type (next section). After finally finding a spot where it would work, it would only give me FLSHING GREEN. DOH!
5. You need a 9 Volt old style remote - the big one. My neighbor happened to come by and he has an older remote with a 9V battery. I pressed the Homelink button i wanted to program. It flashed SLOW ORANGE and I used the 9 Volt old remote and it synced and turned SOLID GREEN. Success!

Garage Door B. New Rolling type.
1. I pressed the Homelink button I wanted to program - SLOW ORANGE - ready to learn. As long as it is flashing orange, it is trying to learn. Don't waste your energy holding it down.
2. I pressed the remote button for Garage Door B - it synced within 10 seconds to RAPID GREEN. Some how the 3 Volt coin battery was strong enough for the Rolling type.
3. Go to your actual Garage Motor. Either on the front or back there is a "Learning" button. Press it once.
4. Go back to your car and press the Homelink button you are programing. SOLID GREEN. Done!

Man, i'm so happy its finally working.
Best of luck. I hope this helps someone out there!
The following 2 users liked this post by DrDoom78:
Amyski07 (10-10-21), spauly99 (03-09-21)
Old 03-11-17, 06:04 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Great write up!
mine programmed with no issues, but I only have one rolling code door.
glad yours is working properly now.
Old 02-26-18, 04:33 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I actually found your write up yesterday, while setting up Homelink on my 15 NX.

Here's my dos centavos.
1. properly set Homelink light can go solid OR blinking rapudly. Either way if it changed from amber to green, it's all good. I figure, it must be relevant to type of sygnal it is - rolling
2. after I went desperate as my HL button was rapid blinking green but not opening garage door, I finally remembered one more thing: after you set up HL button, take a stool or ladder, get to your opener, press learn button, climb down, press and hold button you just set up on vehicle HL. After second or two, opener lights should blink. Release button.
You are done. All works fine.
Old 02-27-18, 06:48 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What compadre urkrkoz said, #2 worked for me as well.
Old 02-28-18, 12:00 PM
HopRock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the Rolling code type-Door B in your example; is the remote required to get it to a Blinking Green? I think that's what I'm reading, but want to be certain. The Lexus manual seems to indicate a remote is not required.
HR
Old 03-09-21, 02:00 PM
spauly99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great article, even after 4 years of writing. Did the programming for a DIP switch-based community gate, worked like a charm. The "big 9V remote" is key, the after market universal ones don't work.
Old 10-10-21, 06:43 AM
Amyski07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for writing this instruction! I have spent hours on this and even bought a new garage door opener which I hope at the end of the day I really needed (the outdoor keypad didn't work either). You can imagine my frustration when I installed the new garage door opener and the Home link still didn't work! Then I found your post and BINGO, problem solved! Thanks again!!

One note, on the Genie openers the "learn button" is the program button.