NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

200T Tuning boxes TOMS VS BMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 07:53 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts
Default 200T Tuning boxes TOMS VS BMS

I have been doing a lot of testing on piggyback boxes for the 8AR-FTS (200t) motor and so far i've tested the RaceChip Ultimate, VRTuned, Burger Motorsports and Toms Racing from Japan. It came down to the Burger Motorsports (BMS) versus Toms Racing as the 2 top boxes on the market so i decided to get some official numbers on them. Yes these will work on the NX200t and they are very easy to install/uninstall with no traces on the ECU.

Burger Motorsports (BMS)

Toms Racing Japan power box

TOM'S Racing Japan
+21.34 WHP
+29.68 WTQ

Burger Motorsports USA (BMS)
http://www.burgertuning.com/lexus_pe...nce_tuner.html
+22.81 WHP
+30.8 WTQ

These are power figures under the curve. Overall both tunes perform exceptionally well over stock and gained power throughout the powerband making the driving experience a lot more fun!!

Last edited by Sheddy; 01-23-18 at 07:01 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Sheddy:
Age87 (03-06-17), d8168055 (03-06-17), davyjordi (04-21-20), Katrcf (03-06-17), Nigel-JDMParts (03-06-17), zhifan1 (01-18-19) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-06-17, 09:20 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Good figures... nice gains in the lower/mid range--useful for daily driving/occasional spirited stomping.. Looks like the BMS is closer to the curves of the OEM. Plus, I would love to have a POWERED BY BURGER sticker on my car!

How is the install, MPG, CEL, any other issues?
Old 03-06-17, 10:26 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by d8168055
Good figures... nice gains in the lower/mid range--useful for daily driving/occasional spirited stomping.. Looks like the BMS is closer to the curves of the OEM. Plus, I would love to have a POWERED BY BURGER sticker on my car!

How is the install, MPG, CEL, any other issues?
Definitely! The install is very simple, it intercepts 2 sensors on the intake manifold which makes it plug and play and easily reversible. No CEL and MPG doesn't change much but with the tune you will have a heavy foot!
Old 03-06-17, 12:43 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

What's up with the AFR's on this engine? Funny how it stays in the 14.x range until above 4k before going to a richer fueling. Usually once you're into boost on a turbo engine, you want to fuel more. Can you get MAP values plotted alongside the AFR? You've done this on an IS, will it plug and play on an NX just the same? The stock tuning on the two engines is a bit different to begin with.

Also, quoting maximum gains rather than gains in peak power is kind of misleading...235hp + 22hp = 257hp is definitely not the case here.
Old 03-06-17, 01:36 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

The dyno tests are showing the WHP, wheel horsepower.. The some of the engine HP is lost thru the driveline, such as the transmission/diff/clutch and/or torque converter. An engine dyno would show the total engine output, but then you would have to remove the engine from the chassis.
Old 03-06-17, 01:41 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
What's up with the AFR's on this engine? Funny how it stays in the 14.x range until above 4k before going to a richer fueling. Usually once you're into boost on a turbo engine, you want to fuel more. Can you get MAP values plotted alongside the AFR? You've done this on an IS, will it plug and play on an NX just the same? The stock tuning on the two engines is a bit different to begin with.

Also, quoting maximum gains rather than gains in peak power is kind of misleading...235hp + 22hp = 257hp is definitely not the case here.
I can't give an explanation to why the AFR is in that range even in stock mode. It does plug and play on the NX and yes because of the tuning difference the numbers will be as well. Those are not peak gains simply because these systems are created to increase boost over the powerband and not in addition to maximum PSI numbers but you are still gaining wheel power and torque overall.
Old 03-06-17, 04:14 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

The dyno tests are showing the WHP, wheel horsepower.. The some of the engine HP is lost thru the driveline, such as the transmission/diff/clutch and/or torque converter. An engine dyno would show the total engine output, but then you would have to remove the engine from the chassis.
Well aware, I've done tuning/dyno work on other platforms in the past.

Originally Posted by Sheddy
I can't give an explanation to why the AFR is in that range even in stock mode. It does plug and play on the NX and yes because of the tuning difference the numbers will be as well. Those are not peak gains simply because these systems are created to increase boost over the powerband and not in addition to maximum PSI numbers but you are still gaining wheel power and torque overall.
Yeah, those AFR's are really interesting. I understand, there's gains just really not what you see when you tune other platforms where you end up making not just area under the curve but more peak power as well.
Old 03-07-17, 08:55 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Well aware, I've done tuning/dyno work on other platforms in the past.

Yeah, those AFR's are really interesting. I understand, there's gains just really not what you see when you tune other platforms where you end up making not just area under the curve but more peak power as well.
Yea i totally agree with you, but I will say that the driving experience is a lot more fun. I am waiting for someone to release a downpipe with a free flowing cat to start getting those peak wheel numbers up.
Old 03-07-17, 09:49 AM
leehom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much extra boost is it pushing, 3 psi?
Old 03-07-17, 10:16 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by leehom
How much extra boost is it pushing, 3 psi?
+4PSI throughout the power band.

Last edited by Sheddy; 01-24-18 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-07-17, 10:17 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

I guess the boxes focus on drivability vs. top end power. The low/mid gains are welcome in most situations, unless you are redlining every stoplight?
Old 03-07-17, 10:28 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sheddy
Yea i totally agree with you, but I will say that the driving experience is a lot more fun. I am waiting for someone to release a downpipe with a free flowing cat to start getting those peak wheel numbers up.
That would be cool. It would be nice if there was a tuning solution like a Cobb AccessPort for this platform. It really opens up the possibilities for exploiting performance parts when you can remap the ecu to suit the mods you have.
Old 03-07-17, 10:50 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

I guess the boxes focus on drivability vs. top end power. The low/mid gains are welcome in most situations, unless you are redlining every stoplight?
Exactly! Neuspeed made a power module for VW/AUDI which is the same concept of these boxes.

Increases boost by modifying the charge pressure and map sensor readings
  • Allows ECU to remain in control of boost
  • The actual boost is increased by a precise amount
  • Boost is increased in a gradual, progressive fashion
  • Uses the closed loop control of the ECU to increase boost
Readings in the vacuum region are stock
  • No effect on cold start
  • No effect on warm-up
  • No change to idle, cruise and moderate acceleration modes of operation
Retains stock ECU programming
  • No change to factory ECU programming, communication or safety protocols
  • No ECU TD1 code to void manufactures warranty
  • Not effected by ECU reprogramming by the dealer
  • Makes use of existing ECU programming for higher boost levels
  • Correct Air/Fuel mixture maintained from the wide band O2 and closed loop mode of the ECU
  • Ignition timing optimized by the ECU
Easy Installation
  • Plug-and-play intercept at Boost and MAP sensor connector locations
  • Installation or removal can be completed in a few minutes (depending on model)
  • No trace Power Module was ever there after removal
  • Power Module can be sold or transferred to another vehicle of the same engine type.

That would be cool. It would be nice if there was a tuning solution like a Cobb AccessPort for this platform. It really opens up the possibilities for exploiting performance parts when you can remap the ecu to suit the mods you have.
There's actually a few companies like Orange Virus Tuning working on a reflash for the ECU so lets see how that goes.
The following users liked this post:
no1SomeGuy (03-07-17)
Old 03-08-17, 06:05 PM
awynters6
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you need a new tune when adding bolt ons? Such as intake, cat deletes, straight piping, etc? Also, compatible with 91 oct?
Old 03-08-17, 07:27 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by awynters6
Do you need a new tune when adding bolt ons? Such as intake, cat deletes, straight piping, etc? Also, compatible with 91 oct?
To get the most out of those parts, yes, the stock ECU isn't going to change any of its targets. The only gains from bolting on parts is a result of less pumping losses, ie removal of some restriction in the intake/exhaust resulting in more air flowing into the combustion chamber, and potentially (but barely) cooler air which is denser, again resulting in slightly more air in the cylinder. More air = more fuel = more power.
The following users liked this post:
Sheddy (03-09-17)

Quick Reply: 200T Tuning boxes TOMS VS BMS