NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

What Mode Do You Guys Usually Drive In?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-17, 07:07 PM
Kirenworb
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Normal on the highway. Sport on regular roads. Avg mileage = 23.

Gone:
2007 ES 350
2011 ES 350
Old 03-06-17, 02:11 PM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
I mostly drive in sport...it's not like the engine makes any more power in sport over the other modes, it just holds gears longer and the throttle is more sensitive.....
While I agree that it doesn't make MORE power, I would say that it make all of it's power more quickly. I could be the more responsive throttle, but I believe sport mode also re-maps the Bypass Valve to allow it to build more boost more quickly. I may be wrong, but I swear I read it somewhere. It also seems to show up in the boost gauge.

I'm in NORMAL 90% of the time. I use sport when I want to leave a light more quickly, but the heavier steering isn't as comfortable to me on the freeway/interstate. I also more difficult accelerate smoothly due to the boost, but it's more fun for those times when you wanna play with it. It's probably just a matter of getting used to it, but I never remember to move it to sport when I get in. I believe I'll try.
Old 03-06-17, 04:30 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
While I agree that it doesn't make MORE power, I would say that it make all of it's power more quickly. I could be the more responsive throttle, but I believe sport mode also re-maps the Bypass Valve to allow it to build more boost more quickly. I may be wrong, but I swear I read it somewhere. It also seems to show up in the boost gauge.

I'm in NORMAL 90% of the time. I use sport when I want to leave a light more quickly, but the heavier steering isn't as comfortable to me on the freeway/interstate. I also more difficult accelerate smoothly due to the boost, but it's more fun for those times when you wanna play with it. It's probably just a matter of getting used to it, but I never remember to move it to sport when I get in. I believe I'll try.
I don't see anything in the shop manuals that say the bypass valve is changed in sport. It's just throttle, steering, transmission, and sometimes suspension (AVS if equipped). Throttle position will play the most into boost response.

Long and short, if you floor it in normal vs sport, you won't get anywhere any faster, the vehicles would be for all intensive purposes identical in acceleration. However at less than WOT, the sport mode will be more responsive due to not upshifting as soon and a more sensitive throttle.
Old 03-06-17, 07:58 PM
hadiguy05
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I typically drive in eco mode with my nx200t, but boy does it seem to take forever to accelerate (granted I'm not heavy in the pedal either). I plan to compare the same driving style with the other 2 modes with several tanks of gas and compare any differences in milage.
Old 03-07-17, 02:03 PM
dvdmull
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a good question. The ECO mode drives me nuts driving in city traffic. With a 6 speed transmission if shifts way to early from 1st -2nd -3rd. Of course if your giving it 1/2 throttle and maintain the acceleration rate the shifting is fine but after 3rd i'm at 50mph and over the speed limit. I tried to down shift with the paddle shifter to hold it in 1st or 2nd a little longer but still irritating the jerking that goes on. Normal mode seems to be the best. I'm going to try the sport mode as mentioned so we'll see. Thanks...... great question

Old 03-07-17, 09:47 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Spend time equally in Normal and Sport mode. If the road condition is good without bumps, I prefer to stay in Sport+. Agree that it is quite addictive. Use Eco mode only in slow traffic or in parking lots. Besides, always in M mode. Never in D mode.
Old 03-08-17, 07:17 PM
NXblue
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

On both of my 16 NX & now my 17 NX F sport, I mostly use the normal mode. Don't use ECO at all. The one or two times I tried it, it was WAY to slow &
boring! I use the Sport mode for quick pu to get ahead of someone, to change lanes, pass, etc. I would fine it unusual that you would get better mileage in
Sport mode VS ECO mode b/c you want to push more in Sport mode than in ECO mode!! It's nice to me to have the normal mode than having it in Sport mode all
the time, like it was in my Acura RDX's. No setting & it ran full open type mode all the time & I didn't get the mileage like I do in the NX's in Normal mode! I'll have
to try to drive in the Sport mode mode & see if it effects the mileage, but I'll have to wait till full break-in is done to tell for sure!
Old 03-09-17, 09:27 PM
toonchew
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove around on ECO only for 2 full tanks. And then SPORT only for 2 full tanks. In Sport mode I only lost 1-1.5mpg. I'm okay with this and have been driving in Sport mode only ever since. If I'm traveling on the highway, going long distance, then I will probably use ECO. Other than that I will never be on it. It feels way too slow and sluggish, and makes the car feel heavier.
Old 04-12-17, 09:23 AM
ShiLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Can somebody explain to me what all changes from eco vs normal vs sport?
Is the tune different like boost, transmission shift points, redline, steering response, or suspension difference?
i know exhaust speakers come on in sport mode.
Is running it in the paddle shift mode really faster?
sorry to hijack the thread.
Old 04-12-17, 11:49 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by ShiLex
Can somebody explain to me what all changes from eco vs normal vs sport?
Is the tune different like boost, transmission shift points, redline, steering response, or suspension difference?
i know exhaust speakers come on in sport mode.
Is running it in the paddle shift mode really faster?
sorry to hijack the thread.
Read the thread, I explained what systems are involved above.
Old 04-12-17, 03:04 PM
ShiLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

So okay, so i was looking more exact answers like in Sport mode, are they reflashing the ecu and advancing ignition and richening the fuel maps? And raising boost alittle? Is the dampers being more stiffer? Are they holding the wastegate closer longer? Are exactly are they doing? And where are you getting your info from? Link to it? I assume in eco mode . They are retarding the timing and leaning it out alittle.
Old 04-12-17, 05:45 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Engine mapping is not changed in any driving mode, it's only throttle response and shift patterns. If you have sport+ with avs the dampers stay firmer and there's less assist in the electric steering rack.

I have the shop and feature manuals for the vehicle describing the function of all systems.
Old 06-28-17, 04:22 AM
astinus4
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my 200t (non F Sport) for nearly a month. For the first 3 weeks I was trying to use Eco as much as possible; only used Normal when accelerating from traffic lights, and Sport only when overtaking or turning onto a busy road.

However over the last few days I've started using Eco only in city and suburban low speed zones. Am using Normal on highways, and Sport anytime when accelerating from a standstill. Overall a much more enjoyable drive, and thus far the fuel consumption seems identical.
Old 06-28-17, 12:26 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Sport 99% of the time, the other 1% is when I forgot to switch it to Sport.

Can I set it in Sport ALL THE TIME?

My tank range is "rising"..from 307 to 311..to 325 miles..it is still cold in the morning here in Nebraska so the car is warming up 3-5 minutes every morning. This morning the low fuel light was on at about 295 miles and I still have about 22 miles left.
Warming up the car 3-5 minutes every morning? Mine gets 30 seconds in the garage, and then I go. I drove my IS in sport al the time (a setting that was "set and forget". I wish the NX had that.
Old 06-28-17, 06:14 PM
Lazerboy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
That is what I really want.

The NX keeps the settings for Normal or Eco, but NOT Sport. WTH, Lexus?
Im sure there is an easy bypass for this. I'll make one myself with a Arduino board If I have to!
Just need to switch to the Sport mode circuit every minute.

Quick Reply: What Mode Do You Guys Usually Drive In?