NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2017 NX or RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 03:34 PM
Anipilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 NX or RX?

I'm in the market first time Lexus buyer for a 2017 NX or RX, one of my requirements is to stow my 700c standard road bike into the back (I'm going to have some protector fabric to prevent dirt & damage )
My question is which model's cargo area is better suited for this? thanks for your advise
The following users liked this post:
quine (01-16-17)
Old 01-16-17, 03:55 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Obviously the RX since it's bigger.
Old 01-16-17, 04:00 PM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Anipilot
I'm in the market first time Lexus buyer for a 2017 NX or RX, one of my requirements is to stow my 700c standard road bike into the back (I'm going to have some protector fabric to prevent dirt & damage )
My question is which model's cargo area is better suited for this? thanks for your advise
I would say the RX but you need to check out both models.

I just had my NX in for it's yearly service and I test drove the RX. The ride is smoother than the NX and it was a bit larger but, I really like my NX other than having to use a premium gas and by the way, a $7k up charge for the RX.

Either car you will like. The Lexus makes a fine automobile.
Old 01-16-17, 04:08 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I test drove an RX, but ended up with the NX because of the smaller size and better driving dynamics. The RX F-Sport still felt like driving "my mom's car."

Here is my 700x32C commuter bike front wheel on and all.

Old 01-16-17, 04:21 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

It depends on what you prefer. A fully load NX or a basic RX are about the same, while a fully loaded RX, can have a delta excess of 10K. Almost all the features of the NX are in the RX. You get a bigger engine and a tad bit more room in the RX
Old 01-16-17, 05:52 PM
quine
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Anipilot
Same here!
But I'm looking for a family car.

Have you test driven both?

Here's my assesment after test driving both (non f-sport models)

NX feels more sporty and handles better. However the ride isn't as smooth or composed. It's not harsh by any means but a touch more jittery than a German. Rear seat space is that of a small sedan. Cargo space is again comparable to a small sedan with the 2nd row seats up, but fold down the seats and it works. If you need to bring more than 1 other person and a bike, forget it. It was released in 2015, so if you are open to CPO, it shouldn't be too hard to find a L Certified model. Wheel options go from 17"-19", so if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a tire- the 17" will be the best bet. Obviously it is cheaper- preliminary figures from my dealer nx vs. rx with premium, nav, blis, heated seats, towing is about a $9000 difference. Downsides are that the engine is still new to Lexus and it uses premium gas.

The RX feels more luxurious, handling is not sporty. More body roll in the turns. But since it's bigger, the ride is smoother and does better on rough roads. Rear seat space is better. Cargo room, although bigger, isn't OMG WOW with the 2nd row seats up. Still new so good luck finding CPO. Wheels are 18"-20", so that would be more to replace in the long run. The engine and transmission are basically from the highlander. So yeah, it's good to go. Also it uses regular gas but takes a 2mpg hit. Resale values are good on the RX. Feel that the local dealer is less willing to work on a deal for the RX, but again, haven't sat down and really gone toe to toe yet with them. Both models feel well put together, but the RX feels more luxurious whereas the NX feels more modern.

I'm a bit harsh on the cargo space since I also took a look at the RAV4 and Highlander- both are way roomier in terms of cargo space vs. their Lexus cousins. Really if you want space, get a Highlander. Problem solved. But I get you- I want a Lexus too. However, I was seriously impressed with the Highlander. If you don't "need" a Lexus, I'd take a look at the Highlander Limited. It drives pretty smooth. But has a different feel- that one feels like you're in a SUV, like you can take on the world. The RX doesn't feel like that.

Basically yeah, I don't know either.
Old 01-16-17, 06:09 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

NX= BMW X3'ish
RX= Tipping close to Minivan handling. That is what happens to larger vehicles, they become rolling sofas.
Everything is a trade-off.

BMW has the same issue. Night and day difference between a 3/4 series and a 5/7 series. Hard to fight weight and center of gravity.
Old 01-16-17, 06:14 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Excellent review Quine. Having recently moved to an NX after 12 years of RX ownership, I agree with that assessment. RX = roomier, smoother and more luxurious. NX is lower to the ground so easier for my wife to access, and a bit sportier but definitely tighter cargo space. Both nice vehicles, As stated, the corporate cousins on the Toyota side of the house shouldn't be underestimated either.
Old 01-16-17, 07:02 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I like the sportiness of the NX and the outside look but I like the interior roomy and regular gas of the RX. The black area on the c-pillar of the RX really bugs me, makes it look like the hearse vehicle.
Old 01-17-17, 07:51 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

My prior car was a RX330 so I know how floaty feels. When I tested a RX350 F-Sport I thought the ride was great, even during Sport+ mode. The steering wheel was very easy to turn, I can see how some people won't like that. The ride didn't feel like a boat at all. Obviously the RX is a bigger ride, so if space is your priority, look into the RX. The NX cargo room lacks compared to the RX.
Old 01-17-17, 11:53 PM
zkl2003
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have test drive regular NX and RX and F sport of them too. (Yeah that was a long time and we switched 5 different car LOL) I think if you are aiming for big cargo space, RX is the answer for sure, it is longer and more space in the back. I choose the NX, since it is more sporty and smaller. since I drive the car just by myself like most of time and no point to get a bigger RX while NX fits what I need. Looks like another person post above that NX can fit the bike. if you are just by yourself or two people in the front for most time, NX is good. while RX is bigger and for sure will fits a lot. Test drive both! it helps to decide
Old 01-19-17, 09:49 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

It ultimately depends on your needs. Coming from NX, I have the following to say:

Pros of the RX:
  • The V6 is much more refined The engine is buttery smooth and actually doesn't sound too bad (considering an RX here) when pushed hard.
  • The interior quality is significantly better. The aluminium inlays in the wood and real aluminium on the F-Sport are very nice touches. Zero squeaks or rattle with the RX so far, compared to multiple in the NX.
  • Noticeably less wind and road noise (with the exception of low RPM droning, see transmission comment below).
  • 360 degree camera is a useful feature.
  • The massive 12" display is much easier to see at a glance, but not necessarily easier to use. I do prefer the remote touch mouse over the touchpad though.
  • Significantly more interior room. Feels spacious rather than cozy. Cargo room is better than the NX, but not by much surprisingly due to the steeply inclined rear door.
  • If premium audio is must, only the RX gets Mark Levinson in North America.
Things I miss from the NX:
  • The 6-speed transmission in the NX was perfectly fine the way. The RX transmission programming in normal mode is very much geared towards fuel economy. It's always wanting to upshift and hesitates with gentle throttle inputs. At low RPMs, there is a drone that some owners have said originate from a resonant vibration of the exhaust system. In my experience, these problems go away in Sport mode though. See transmission thread here.
  • Sportier handling. The RX is by no means a boat. The chassis and suspension have come a long way from previous RX generations, however the NX still has superior steering feel. RX steering is admittedly light and numb.
  • Poor fuel economy. It's been cold recently in Alberta, but 14 L/100 km (17 mpg) is downright terrible. Hopefully this is also because my RX is still new and breaking things in. The NX never had great fuel economy for a turbo 4-cyl, but I was able to get 10 L/100 km (23 mpg) over the ~12,000 km I had it.
  • Warmer heated steering wheel and seats. Part of this is because the non F-Sport top trims in Canada get a wood finished steering wheel so there is less area for the heating elements, but the the heat is noticeable weaker in the RX.
All considered, I am happy with my transition to the RX.

Last edited by computerwi; 01-19-17 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-20-17, 07:07 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

One "good" thing on the NX is that it is about $10k less than the RX (Similar options wise).