NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2015 NX F-Sport Steering Noise

Old 01-09-17, 09:19 AM
H9wicked
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 NX F-Sport Steering Noise

It is now a little over 2yrs since we purchased the vehicle during the famous a December to Remember event when the car was just made available at the Dealer ship. Currently the Car has been making a Noise when you turn the steering wheel and i do not mean the popping noise, Sounds likes a door creaking when you turn the steering wheel. During the Regular service i mentioned this to the service writer were he had a mechanic drive the car with me inside to see if we could hear the noise. Sure enough when you turn the steering wheel you heard the sound. So they were nice enough to let me stay with the loaner until they could repair the issue. Following day they called me saying the car was done and i could pick the car back up. I drove the car with the mechanic the sound was very minimal, I asked him what he did and he mentioned that he just lubricated the brakes system. Satisfied i took the car home. A day later the noise level of the creaking steering returned i let it go for a while. During my next tune up i mentioned the issue again to the service writer, the service writer said he would have the lead tech review the car while it was still in the shop. The following day i received a phone call from the Service writer asking me to pick up the car, I asked him what was the issue with the car his reply was that the techs drove several NX's cars and all of them made the same noise as mine I told him that is impossible since the loaner car that the Courtesy Loaner Vehicle dept. provided me happens to be the same model car only newer and it does not make that sound there was a bit of silence for a while on the phone. He mentioned that once i arrived that he will have the shop foreman and the mechanic drive with me in the car. That afternoon when i arrived sure enough they had my car parked ready to be test driven by the techs, I told them no i want them to replicate the noise in the loaner vehicle that they provided me to see if they could replicate the noise. during the drive there was no noise, the Tech stop the car and lightly letting go of the brakes to were the car was still stoped then he turned the steering wheel in doing so the car made a noise while he turned the steering wheel I quickly told him that i was not complaining about brake noise and advised him to place the car in park and completely release his foot off the brakes the shop Forman also told the tech the same thing in doing so the car steering wheel did not make any noise. The noise i hear in my vehicle appears to be coming from one of the bushings steering shaft. We then proceeded back to the service bay were the Shop Forman said "I cut him off quickly and said let me guess this noise if inherent to this model vehicle" to which he replied "Yes". He "Mike the shop Forman" then said that this is not a safety issue or a an issue that will cause damage to the car, I then asked him what was Lexus known for and what sets them apart from a Toyota or Honda? He did not have an answer in which i told him the Lexus is a luxury brand were quality is at the upmost importance and the issue that i have is a quality problem that the Lexus brand needs to be made aware of especially since they telling me that all NX 200t except the loaner we drove makes that noise After that the service writer and the Shop Forman told me to stay with the loaner and that they will open up a case number so that Lexus can review investigate. A week has passed by and I received a call from the Service writer asking me to pick up my vehicle I asked him what the issue was and he replied that they did not see an issue and on there report they are stating that all NX 200t make the same sound. So i am now back to square one, I called cooperate Lexus and explained the issue they were caught off guard to hear that the Dealerships finding and response However they were assigning my case to a manager that is going to investigate the issue.
I advised that i can provide video of the noise that is heard in the car and a Video of the lack of noise in the loaner.
Old 01-09-17, 03:31 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The only reason I finished reading this post was because I am facing a similar issue, but haven't brought it in for service yet, but man, please learn paragraphing and spacing!
The following 2 users liked this post by legrunt:
GlenK (01-10-17), milgauss (01-09-17)
Old 01-10-17, 08:46 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I didn't read the entire story, I had an issue with an old Lexus (not NX) and it was coming from the floorboard area where the steering wheel is attached down there. Some white grease applied to it (the dealer will know what that is) took care of it quickly.
I'm not saying that your issue is the same as mine, but i suggest you take it back to them, or take it to a toyota dealer to see if they can diagnose it.
Old 01-10-17, 08:39 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car has electronic steering and it makes some sort of motor noise when you turn the steering wheel, that is normal.

What kind of noise are you hearing, do you have a video?
Old 01-11-17, 07:32 PM
nickage87
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, this could be a motor, possibly over time it becomes louder, unlike hydraulic which is silent if not leaking.
Old 08-29-17, 01:07 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Steering wheel clicks

I can duplicate this issue consistently on my '17 F Sport with 10k miles.

Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to the Left and it makes the clicking sounds, every time. I did not hear this before. I have an appt this week along with other issues.
Old 08-29-17, 02:10 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Clock spring. had the sound, showed my dealer and had it fixed over night.