Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2015 up NX300H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX300H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other first generation NX models.

🚫 Lexus NX200t and NX300h Recalled ☠

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 06:29 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Exclamation 🚫 Lexus NX200t and NX300h Recalled ☠

Lexus NX200t and NX300h recalled for brake hold fix.

"Lexus has issued a recall for 6856 of its 2014 to 2016 NX200t and NX300h SUVs over concerns the brake hold function may not operate as intended. According to the Japanese marque, the parking brake in affected vehicles may not automatically apply in certain situations – like when the driver’s seat belt is unfastened – due to improper programming – which could cause the vehicle to roll unexpectedly, posing an accident hazard."
more...
Old 12-19-16, 06:46 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by Pinhead
thx for the info, i use the brake hold a lot so I will definitely get this done. Do we need to wait for the letter or can we just bring it in?
In my past experiences with recalls (not necessarily by Lexus), if you go too early, then the dealers may not be briefed on the situation, nor will any specialized repair parts be available. It's best to call first and possibly make an appointment.
Old 12-19-16, 07:00 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

From the drivers.lexus.com web site, this is a service campaign and not a recall.

Meaning the issue is minor and will update the ECU when you take the vehicle in for normal service.

NHSTA does not list this as a recall either.
Old 12-20-16, 11:06 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by chuckNX
NHSTA does not list this as a recall either.
NHSTA is not recognized (nor do they have jurisdiction) in Australia. This is where the recall is.
Old 12-20-16, 11:13 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Here's the official ACCC recall notice.
(ACCC = Australian Competition and Consumer Commission)

Additionally, here's another (Australian) article on this recall.

Old 12-20-16, 11:46 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NXOwner
NHSTA is not recognized (nor do they have jurisdiction) in Australia. This is where the recall is.
I stand corrected, I did not realize that from the original post.

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-20-16, 01:20 PM
Naren
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is showing in lexus website For my car

Results for VIN:
JTJBARBXXXXXXXX
2015 Lexus NX200T

Service Campaigns:
Title
Special Service Campaign GLP - Remedy Notice Certain 2015 - 2017 Model Year Lexus NX 200t, NX 300h Brake Hold System Reprogramming
Status
Remedy Available
Description
The Brake Hold system maintains brake application when the shift lever is in a forward gear position or in "N" (Neutral) and the brake pedal has been depressed to stop the vehicle. The system releases the brake when the accelerator pedal is depressed with the shift lever in "D" (Drive) or a Manual mode. Under certain conditions, (for example, when unfastening the driver's seat belt while the system is enabled), the brake hold function is designed to deactivate, sound a warning buzzer, display a message in the instrument cluster, and automatically set the electronic parking brake. On the involved vehicles, the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) for the system may not set the parking brake as expected and as described in the Owner's Manual. If the parking brake does not set as designed, there is a possibility the vehicle could creep forward or backward.

Remedy
The remedy will involve an inspection and, if necessary, a reprogramming of the Skid Control ECU.

Campaign Date
December 16, 2016

Dealer Reference ID
GLP
Old 12-20-16, 02:40 PM
gooner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a call

My dealer just called urging to come in to fix it asap....will take the car there day after tomorrow.
Old 12-20-16, 03:01 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Naren
Under certain conditions, (for example, when unfastening the driver's seat belt while the system is enabled), the brake hold function is designed to deactivate, sound a warning buzzer, display a message in the instrument cluster, and automatically set the electronic parking brake. On the involved vehicles, the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) for the system may not set the parking brake as expected and as described in the Owner's Manual.
I'm thinking a practical illustration of this would be you are at a drive thru and you have the brake-hold engaged. You have to pay the dude in the window but you can't reach your wallet that has fallen on the floor. You unbuckle your seat belt to reach it, and the brake-hold disengages and parking brake does not engage, and you slam into the car in front.
The following users liked this post:
DebT (02-17-17)
Old 12-20-16, 05:35 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Interesting.
Tried it in my car that's supposed to be effected.
It's not that the park brake doesn't activate but there is several seconds delay before it activates after disconnecting the seat belt and the hold function disengaging.
There was minimal movement of the car and enough warnings to wake up a Tesla driver.
I suppose after the Jeep fiasco they are being cautious.
That's why I buy Lexus.
Old 12-20-16, 06:43 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
Interesting.
Tried it in my car that's supposed to be effected.
It's not that the park brake doesn't activate but there is several seconds delay before it activates after disconnecting the seat belt and the hold function disengaging.
There was minimal movement of the car and enough warnings to wake up a Tesla driver.
I suppose after the Jeep fiasco they are being cautious.
That's why I buy Lexus.

My exact thoughts. "Recall" is overblown in this case but Lexus is being overly cautious since the 2010 floor mat movement/sudden acceleration recall.
Old 12-20-16, 08:56 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

When I had the NX, I recall thinking about this possibility. I remember the parking brake engaged almost immediately when when the seat belt was unbuckled.
Old 12-21-16, 09:45 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
When I had the NX, I recall thinking about this possibility. I remember the parking brake engaged almost immediately when when the seat belt was unbuckled.
Yes, mine functions properly too. When I step on the gas, parking brake automatically disengages as well.
Old 12-21-16, 12:13 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Odd, mine works like this description in the manual ('15 F Sport). I had to release the Parking brake manually when I tested unbuckling the seat belt with it in D and Brake Hold on:
When the parking brake is set automatically while the system is holding the brakes
The parking brake will not be released automatically. With the brake pedal depressed,
release the parking brake by operating the parking brake switch, making sure that the
parking brake indicator light goes off.
Old 12-21-16, 02:57 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Mine works per the manual as well.

I have an 8/16 build date. The must have fixed this on the assembly line at some point earlier in the year or Lexus is having dealers update vehicles prior to sale.

Quick Reply: 🚫 Lexus NX200t and NX300h Recalled ☠