NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

PSA: Cusco Rear Sway Bar for JDM Toyota Harrier fits

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 12:36 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazerboy
Ok I'm ordering one, convinced me. thanks.
All everyone needs is a little push.
Old 07-10-17, 05:14 PM
Lazerboy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
Changing up from 23mm to 25mm (all else unchanged, length, bushings etc.) increases stiffness by 40%.
19mm to 25mm is triple the original stiffness (+200%).
Lets make a women's car a mens one now
Old 07-10-17, 08:35 PM
hadiguy05
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Changing up from 23mm to 25mm (all else unchanged, length, bushings etc.) increases stiffness by 40%.
19mm to 25mm is triple the original stiffness (+200%).
How'd you cone up with these increases? I couldn't figure it out, but have always been curious.

Thanks,
Old 07-11-17, 05:46 PM
hadiguy05
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bending resistance of a solid bar varies with the 4th power of the diameter.

Ohhh yea, deflection! I forgot about strengths of materials and statics.
Old 01-14-20, 06:01 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm sorry to resurrect this thread. I will be almost a year into my CPO 2015 NX200T FWD and so far happy with this all around DD for me. One thing it does do is wallow in faster corners (like freeway exits). A number have done this upgrade - is the consensus that it's worth doing?
Old 01-14-20, 07:41 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Default Something better

Originally Posted by jsmith
I'm sorry to resurrect this thread. I will be almost a year into my CPO 2015 NX200T FWD and so far happy with this all around DD for me. One thing it does do is wallow in faster corners (like freeway exits). A number have done this upgrade - is the consensus that it's worth doing?
If you asked me back when I originally posted this thread, I would've easily told you that this rear sway bar was a great first mod. Since then, however, I have been able to do more suspension work on the NX.

Knowing what I know now, the best bang-for-buck handling and anti-roll mod is Timbren's off-road active bump stop/suspension enhancement system for Jeep Wranglers, part number JFC01 available
here here
, installed in place of the factory rear solid bump stops. It stays disconnected when you're driving straight, it gets in contact and almost doubles rear spring rates when the body rolls around corners. It's very durable, and about the only knock about its longevity you'll find online has to do with side shearing of solid axle suspensions, which doesn't really apply to our vehicles' rear suspension architecture. It's a lot easier to install than the rear sway bar, too. Please see the photo below for a comparison between the Timbren bump stop and the factory bump stop.

The only issue, if you'll consider it that, I encountered with this part installed and in combination with my other suspension bits is corner exit oversteer when pushed VERY hard. Seeing you mentioned that you have the FWD, I don't think this would be much of an issue.

Supporting parts and tools you'll need to get the job done:

14mm, thin-walled spark plug socket - the hole on the middle part of the rubber spring is too narrow for standard sockets
M10 bolts such as these M10 bolts such as these
- the included metric bolts suited for the Jeep (strange that it's metric) has standard M10x1.5 pitch, while all Toyotas use fine M10x1.25 pitch
Blue thread lock
Plumber's wrench to remove factory bump stop
Old 01-14-20, 10:54 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

This shows up as a FRONT bump stop replacement. You're recommending it for a rear installation?
Old 01-14-20, 03:26 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

This shows up as a FRONT bump stop replacement. You're recommending it for a rear installation?
They only listed it as a front replacement because of the included spacers, which incidentally is a perfect fit for the NX's rear. There's no front or back associated with the individual rubber springs themselves. They're universal, and Timbren has a catalog for just springs people refer to when fabricating their own kits. Hope this clears things up!

Last edited by chezgk; 01-14-20 at 03:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jsmith (01-15-20)
Old 01-25-20, 04:23 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Totally doing this. Ordered the Amazon item and took your advice and got Allen head bolts instead of the hex heads for ease of installation! Will update with results of this little project. Can't wait to take that little sweeper on the highway with this on!
Old 01-25-20, 06:25 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Totally doing this. Ordered the Amazon item and took your advice and got Allen head bolts instead of the hex heads for ease of installation! Will update with results of this little project. Can't wait to take that little sweeper on the highway with this on!
Keep the board posted! If you find it as effective as I did, then a new DIY thread might be a great idea, specially since this keeps the factory ride unlike aftermarket rear sway bars.

Last edited by chezgk; 01-25-20 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-26-20, 07:12 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

The Timbren kit came in right away. When I went to look for the delivery status on the allen head bolts, turns out they are coming from the UK urrrgghhh. Can't find any local suppliers too!
Old 01-26-20, 07:57 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

The Timbren kit came in right away. When I went to look for the delivery status on the allen head bolts, turns out they are coming from the UK urrrgghhh. Can't find any local suppliers too!
Must've shipped from Bolt Base UK. With the Timbrens in hand, now would be a great time to check if you ordered the correct length Allen head bolts. Keep us posted!
Old 01-27-20, 06:30 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chezgk
Must've shipped from Bolt Base UK. With the Timbrens in hand, now would be a great time to check if you ordered the correct length Allen head bolts. Keep us posted!
I ordered 70mm like those bolts in the link you posted. I just measured the kit and it has 90mm bolts. I don't think it will be long enough as there's only about 30mm protruding past the spacers....

Last edited by jsmith; 01-27-20 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-27-20, 06:52 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

I ordered 70mm like those bolts in the link you posted. I just measured the kit and it has 90mm bolts. I don't think it will be long enough as there's only about 30mm protruding past the spacers....

Confirming that I used 70mm on mine. 10-15mm of engagement is enough, as the load exerted on the bump stops is just vertical. Anything beyond would just go through the threads and to the void above them. This will be apparent once you have all the parts laid out in front of you and commence work. Cheers
Old 01-27-20, 07:06 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Well, the 70mm are still winging their way over here. I got 90mm's from FMK, it might get here quicker ;-)

Quick Reply: PSA: Cusco Rear Sway Bar for JDM Toyota Harrier fits