NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Finally had it and replaced NX 200t premium sound dash speakerselega

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 10:48 PM
lemonhedo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally had it and replaced NX 200t premium sound dash speakerselega

Ever since I set eyes on the New NX 200t F Sport, I knew this was my car. Super sexy exterior, elegant interior, very thoughtful setup, etc etc, most horrendous voice control/smartphone integration, and BAD SOUND! I don't know if the speaker break-in thing is true, but I can feel the premium speaker sound improves as days went on. However, after 2 months of auditioning them, I have came to the conclusion that I didn't like them and they need to go. After reading many posts on this forum, I decided to replace the 3 dash speakers to start. I went with Infinity Reference REF - 3022cfx because the size fits and the ohm is the same as stock. Took them to bestbuy and the tech replaced them in a jiffy.
After installation, the tech told me the original stock speakers are actually of pretty good quality. However because I listen to classical music a lot, the infinities will be much clearer and smooth (which was what I wanted) compared to stock. Truth be told, after several days listening, the sound stage in the car finally feels great. The sound is rich and rounded. There is no more "covered" feel to it. I don't need to turn the music on so loud to hear the notes.
A little note about the stock speakers. They are HEAVY! Almost weighed the same if not more than the infinities. The diaphram is made of paper i believe, with some sort of laquered cover. In reading some forums about speaker quality, they actually pointed out that the stock lexus's tweeter dome is more desirable than infinity's half dome. I prefer the infinities sound however. Pictures of the stock premium speakers included.

For anyone just hating their new NX 200t's sound, I would really recommend replacing the dash speakers. 65 dollars for install plus whatever you spend on the 3.5'' speaker is awesome!
Attached Thumbnails Finally had it and replaced NX 200t premium sound dash speakerselega-imag1287.jpg   Finally had it and replaced NX 200t premium sound dash speakerselega-imag1288.jpg   Finally had it and replaced NX 200t premium sound dash speakerselega-imag1289.jpg   Finally had it and replaced NX 200t premium sound dash speakerselega-imag1290.jpg  
Old 12-13-16, 06:20 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I totally agree that the sound system sucks, and no offense to the best buy guy, but the speakers in the premium audio pkg are garbage: cheap paper cones with plastic coated paper tweeters in the front. The front door speakers are even worse: Poly cone with rubber coated paper tweeter. Sound is muddy to say the least. The bigger problem with the sound system is Lexus' horrible DSP on the head unit. I've played with several iphone apps to try and overcome the DSP and the best I found is called KaiserTone. It's $10, but I believe that I've found a setting that has changed my mind about adding a separate amp. I upgraded all of my speakers to JL audio and still wasn't happy with the sound quality. The KaiserTone app really helped balance out the system, especially with the front tweeters being so far from the woofer. I'm using the native Itunes Best setting in the app, and the system now sound's really good. One other thing Lexus did that pissed me off is they crossed-over the front woofer and tweeters at the amp location. What that means is that even though you installed those Infinity speakers, you are effectively only using about 60% of what they are capable of because a majority of the frequencies being sent to them are heard through tweeter and not the mid-woofer. I opted to install CDT mid-tweeters in the front speaker location as they are better designed to take advantage of higher frequencies.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the result, but I'd much rather have paid for the Mark Levinson audio had they included it in US spec'd NX's. Changing out the speakers was a pretty easy job. Took about 3 hours total, and all of the door speakers came with wiring harnesses and adapters from crutchfield. I had to splice the front speakers as there are no aftermarket wiring harnesses that are made for those speakers.
The following users liked this post:
Grahaminat (12-03-18)
Old 12-13-16, 08:28 PM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

The real proper way to get good sound outta your nx is to bypass the factory system and run a real dsp and run some real speakers. Adding speakers to the factory amp won't do any justice.
Old 12-14-16, 10:05 PM
lemonhedo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jugdish
I totally agree that the sound system sucks, and no offense to the best buy guy, but the speakers in the premium audio pkg are garbage: cheap paper cones with plastic coated paper tweeters in the front. The front door speakers are even worse: Poly cone with rubber coated paper tweeter. Sound is muddy to say the least. The bigger problem with the sound system is Lexus' horrible DSP on the head unit. I've played with several iphone apps to try and overcome the DSP and the best I found is called KaiserTone. It's $10, but I believe that I've found a setting that has changed my mind about adding a separate amp. I upgraded all of my speakers to JL audio and still wasn't happy with the sound quality. The KaiserTone app really helped balance out the system, especially with the front tweeters being so far from the woofer. I'm using the native Itunes Best setting in the app, and the system now sound's really good. One other thing Lexus did that pissed me off is they crossed-over the front woofer and tweeters at the amp location. What that means is that even though you installed those Infinity speakers, you are effectively only using about 60% of what they are capable of because a majority of the frequencies being sent to them are heard through tweeter and not the mid-woofer. I opted to install CDT mid-tweeters in the front speaker location as they are better designed to take advantage of higher frequencies.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the result, but I'd much rather have paid for the Mark Levinson audio had they included it in US spec'd NX's. Changing out the speakers was a pretty easy job. Took about 3 hours total, and all of the door speakers came with wiring harnesses and adapters from crutchfield. I had to splice the front speakers as there are no aftermarket wiring harnesses that are made for those speakers.

thanks for the input! i am going to look into this. Tinkering in continuum
Old 12-03-18, 11:03 AM
Grahaminat
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Which wire do I splice?

Thanks for your post. How did you "splice" the front speakers? The dash speakers in mine have FOUR wires, black, lavender, white & pink. The Rockford Fosgate R14X2 speakers I purchased from Crutchfield have only TWO connections. Which wires from the wiring harness should I attach to the Rockford Fosgates?

- Graham
The included wiring harness has FOUR wires - which ones do I splice to connect the Rockford Fosgate RX14X2?
Old 12-04-18, 10:07 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts

This thread will help:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...upgrade-2.html

My only thing that I've asked before is when splicing the two other wires from the connector how do the rest of them terminate? Since we are taking the two wires and putting them to the new speaker, what happens with the stock white connector?

-Nigel
Old 12-05-18, 06:54 AM
Grahaminat
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Nigel. And I was thinking the same thing - what do I do with the harness connector and the two wires I didn't splice? I asked that question in the forum post that you provided the link to. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.
Old 12-15-18, 10:46 AM
illa
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't agree

Yes, complete new system will be great but you are looking at least 2~3k spending

I did swap to focals and very happy, with less expensive solution and very descent and improved sound

Originally Posted by Rozay604
The real proper way to get good sound outta your nx is to bypass the factory system and run a real dsp and run some real speakers. Adding speakers to the factory amp won't do any justice.
Old 01-07-19, 07:23 AM
ramses974
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by illa
I don't agree

Yes, complete new system will be great but you are looking at least 2~3k spending

I did swap to focals and very happy, with less expensive solution and very descent and improved sound
Rozay604 is right, if you use the stock amplifier, some amplifier runs in active mode and you cannot change the slope unlike a DSP.
If you do not have stock amplifier, it will be more easy to just replace the speaker and enjoy them,but it is the same problem, when you have already heard a tuned system you cannot enjoy an untuned system
Old 01-21-19, 07:33 AM
mps2220
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Grahaminat
Thanks Nigel. And I was thinking the same thing - what do I do with the harness connector and the two wires I didn't splice? I asked that question in the forum post that you provided the link to. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.
There is no need to cut the connector and remove it completely, just leave the un-used wires attached to the connector for slight case you want to return it to stock. I never could determine what those two un-used wired were for.

Brandon
Old 01-22-19, 10:44 AM
PaulBNK
Driver School Candidate

Hello! Are you saying you have Mark Levinson and it does not sound good ???