ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-1st-gen-2015-2021-264/)
-   -   Premium Fuel Quandry (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-1st-gen-2015-2021/835228-premium-fuel-quandry.html)

jdshaw 09-26-16 09:41 AM

Premium Fuel Quandry

NX would be a good fit, but premium gas is 65 cents a gallon more then regular where I live. Is there a good luxury (or near luxury) compact SUV that uses regular?

kaka22 09-26-16 10:17 AM

You could look into the Rav4?

I just saw a brand new one the other day and it looks nice. Made me do a double-take. It's a simple, clean, stylistic vehicle visually. I would confirm the gas requirements for it but I believe it is regular.
Oh, and the Lexus NX is built on the Rav4 body/chassis I believe. Do your research to confirm that.

jdshaw 09-26-16 11:36 AM

Yes - on both shared body and regular gas. RAV4 is under consideration, but a little too pedestrian. Thank you.

TechNut 09-26-16 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jdshaw (Post 9630979)
NX would be a good fit, but premium gas is 65 cents a gallon more then regular where I live. Is there a good luxury (or near luxury) compact SUV that uses regular?

My NX uses regular fuel :D

Do you need the extra power of the turbo? My hybrid has plenty of power for a daily commuter. Plus the gas mileage is a nice bonus. Calculated out to 35 MPG this weekend when I filled it up.

It it is also quieter and smoother than the turbo model. Give it a try, you might be surprised.

MKenM 09-26-16 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ward6096 (Post 9631522)
My NX uses regular fuel :D
It it is also quieter and smoother than the turbo model. Give it a try, you might be surprised.

Just curious I have a turbo, how is the "h" smoother?

WDEagle 09-26-16 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by MKenM (Post 9631546)

He just misspelled "slower" :D

skabei 09-26-16 08:56 PM

There's a lot of debate about this, but the last generation RX can do regular quite well. I haven't read into the new gen RX so I'm not going to recommend that, but do look into the RX (old and new).

Futpurch 09-26-16 10:01 PM

Just use the app GasBuddy to find cheapest gas

I have a luxury sedan that recommends premium

I never have issue finding premium for a reasonable price

use the app and enjoy the drive

tresmith00 09-27-16 12:04 AM

The hybrid seems like your answer. regular gas and much better fuel economy.

If I could have bought the hybrid in F Sport trim that's what I would have bought.

WDEagle 09-27-16 04:58 AM

My wife's last car was a 2005 SAAB 92x (rebadged Subaru WRX) so we are used to the additional cost of premium gas.

She now drives less than 10K miles a year, so the premium gas costs us around $260/year extra over regular gas. That's money well spend considering how happy she is with her NX.

LexBob2 09-27-16 06:21 AM

My advice would be if the price of premium concerns you now you'd be better off finding something you like that meets your needs and uses regular. You'll always be wondering and thinking about it. There are other good choices available. I filled up our car on Sunday (not a NX) and premium was .90/gal (yes ninety cents!) more than regular. It bugs me, but we don't drive a lot of miles so I stick with it. If we drove more miles I'd use mid range 89 octane which was still .50/gal more than regular.

JDR76 09-27-16 07:40 AM

Threads like this always make me thankful that premium here is only 20 cents more per gallon than regular.

TechNut 09-27-16 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by MKenM (Post 9631546)

CVT transmission. The Hybrid doesn't have all the shift points of a six speed transmission. Besides, my last turbo had a definite burst when the turbo kicked in. No "bursting" with a hybrid :D

TechNut 09-27-16 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by tresmith00 (Post 9631849)
The hybrid seems like your answer. regular gas and much better fuel economy.

If I could have bought the hybrid in F Sport trim that's what I would have bought.

Some countries have that configuration, but not in North America. :(

corradoMR2 09-28-16 03:24 PM

Check out the Lincoln MKC and the Buick Envision, both can run on 87 though if you want to buy to keep for 5+ years, I'd skip the MKC.

Originally Posted by JDR76 (Post 9632067)
Threads like this always make me thankful that premium here is only 20 cents more per gallon than regular.

Good thing you're not in Canada since it's 20 cents more per LITER! :)