NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Project Black Cars Matter

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-16, 07:36 PM
datpimp007
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Project Black Cars Matter

So here it goes guys. Thanks to Lou from Mod In Japan, I ended up getting the RSR Springs and APEXi N1-X Catback exhaust. Plan to install this weekend and will make sure to include photos and the experience on this forum.

As of now I just have mostly cosmetic mods.
- 2-step Paint Protection
- Full Frontal Suntek PPF
- Opti-Coat Pro Coating
- Driver/Passenger side tint
- Thule Bike Rack (didn't want to go OEM. Easier to resell Thule Bars than OEM). And Thule Bike Carrier

Next on the list is:
- RS-R Down Springs
- APEXi N1-X Catback exhaust

Wish me luck!

Last edited by datpimp007; 07-12-16 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-12-16, 09:19 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Nice! Good luck. :P Car will look good with the springs and sound great with the exhaust. My buddy has the same setup.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-14-16, 12:34 PM
datpimp007
Rookie

RS-R Springs installed. It's a hella mild drop. Like barely. However, that's what I wanted. Stancelife is awesome but so is tire thread life.
Old 07-14-16, 12:36 PM
datpimp007
Rookie

Here's a photo of the Apexi Exhaust. Thanks again to Lou from ModinJapan for the lightning fast shipping and the awesome deal.

Will definitely buy from them again!

Old 07-14-16, 02:34 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

So..

dropitlikeitsha How does it sound?
Old 07-14-16, 02:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^+1 sound clip and more pics of the car from different angles. Looking good btw!
Old 07-14-16, 06:08 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

There was an NX at the local Lexus meet a few weeks ago that had the Apexi exhaust installed.

I had the owner start it, let it settle, then rev it to about 5k RPM. I stood behind the vehicle as well as sat in the front passenger seat for both sets of sound tests.

From the outside, the initial warm-up period (you know, the first 30 seconds or so when you start the NX, it auto revs to about 1,250 RPM) had a bit more "bass" than normal.

After this brief warm-up, the idling sound was almost the same as stock.

When rev'ed up to around 5,000 RPM, it was definitely a deeper sound than stock, but not so much to turn many heads.

Inside the NX with the doors and windows closed, there was negligible increase in sound. Any increase was definitely deeper/lower than stock.

There was an RCF there that had a pretty sick exhaust sound. I didn't hear it until he drove off, so I don't know exactly which exhaust he had. Now that was a nice "muscle car" sound! 💨

My final opinion on the NX Apexi exhaust? The sound is not enough to justify the cost of these exhaust systems (it's difficult to get a deep, throaty, muscle-car sound from a 4-cylinder). If you like the look of the tips, then save your money and just change your stock tips.
Old 07-15-16, 04:22 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OP, is that the entire exhaust, or just the axle back?

Also, I would check your exhaust hangers, the exhaust looks to be 1/2" or more too low which is making them look very out of place.
Old 07-15-16, 04:22 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NXOwner
There was an NX at the local Lexus meet a few weeks ago that had the Apexi exhaust installed.

I had the owner start it, let it settle, then rev it to about 5k RPM. I stood behind the vehicle as well as sat in the front passenger seat for both sets of sound tests.

From the outside, the initial warm-up period (you know, the first 30 seconds or so when you start the NX, it auto revs to about 1,250 RPM) had a bit more "bass" than normal.

After this brief warm-up, the idling sound was almost the same as stock.

When rev'ed up to around 5,000 RPM, it was definitely a deeper sound than stock, but not so much to turn many heads.

Inside the NX with the doors and windows closed, there was negligible increase in sound. Any increase was definitely deeper/lower than stock.

There was an RCF there that had a pretty sick exhaust sound. I didn't hear it until he drove off, so I don't know exactly which exhaust he had. Now that was a nice "muscle car" sound! 💨

My final opinion on the NX Apexi exhaust? The sound is not enough to justify the cost of these exhaust systems (it's difficult to get a deep, throaty, muscle-car sound from a 4-cylinder). If you like the look of the tips, then save your money and just change your stock tips.
Could always do a downpipe along with.
Old 07-15-16, 10:33 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by datpimp007
Here's a photo of the Apexi Exhaust. Thanks again to Lou from ModinJapan for the lightning fast shipping and the awesome deal.

Will definitely buy from them again!

awesome setup and your very welcome
Old 07-15-16, 05:02 PM
datpimp007
Rookie

Here's the sound clip. Pretty much as NXOwner described. At idle you don't hear much. The cold start and 3K RPM and up is one you start hearing it. I ran the RPMs up to 5K and held there for a bit which you can tell from the video. Second rev is around 3K RPM.

Also sorry about the background noise. It's 95 degrees here and people have their AC units running.

https://vimeo.com/174893012
Old 07-15-16, 05:11 PM
datpimp007
Rookie

Here are a couple other photos. Managed to park next to an older stock RX and you can sort of get an comparison view on the drop. As mentioned earlier, it's barely noticeable. Will take another photo in a few weeks after it's settled (if it does).

Also not really sure about the exhaust height or hangers. Could be the angle. I don't believe the hangers are adjustable so unless I use duct tape or zip ties, the exhaust has to sit as is. Included a rear photo which may give a better angle and also the hanger photo.

In any case, enjoying the car so far. I went from an Acura Vigor where finding any after market parts was near impossible because of its 5 cylinder engine. So owning the NX has been quite refreshing.

Old 07-17-16, 04:27 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Now u just need some rims.
Old 07-17-16, 03:19 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by datpimp007
Here are a couple other photos. Managed to park next to an older stock RX and you can sort of get an comparison view on the drop. As mentioned earlier, it's barely noticeable. Will take another photo in a few weeks after it's settled (if it does).

Also not really sure about the exhaust height or hangers. Could be the angle. I don't believe the hangers are adjustable so unless I use duct tape or zip ties, the exhaust has to sit as is. Included a rear photo which may give a better angle and also the hanger photo.

In any case, enjoying the car so far. I went from an Acura Vigor where finding any after market parts was near impossible because of its 5 cylinder engine. So owning the NX has been quite refreshing.

yes you need wheels lol
pm me if your want some nice JDM wheels
Old 07-18-16, 03:53 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

OP, the hangers are VERY adjustable.

Take the exhaust back off the car. Put the hanger into a vice...and PUSH. You only need to bend it a degree or two to actually see a difference. I'm not sure how that minimum 1" gap isn't driving you crazy....

Just make sure when you do it, you take a protractor to it, make measurements, and mirror the change on both sides.

Quick Reply: Project Black Cars Matter