NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Front fenders peeling off again

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-16, 02:30 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Front fenders peeling off again

The latest on my saga with the front plastic fenders.
After a front bumper bar replacement the front plastic fenders continue to peel off. A nastily cheap bit of design by Lexus where these fenders are stuck on by double sided tape. Yes that's right, just like a Kia or Subaru.
The Lexus preferred panel beater 'highly recommended by the dealer ' says they have never seen this problem in a Lexus.
The dealer won't even try to install a new set, at my cost, because they don't want the hassle.
Going in to the panel beaters for a new set this week.
Seriously considering a Merc 300C coupe rather than the Lexus RC for my wife now. Surprised at the poor quality details that have become apparent after a minor accident.
<br >
<br > <br >
Old 07-11-16, 11:21 AM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe your problem has nothing to do with Lexus' quality. The problem is the body shop that performed the repair. These plastic fenders are held by a bunch of clips and tape. Some of the inner clips are not reusable because they only go in one way, you pry them out they break. I suspect your body shop did not give you new clips, bring it back to them.
Old 07-11-16, 12:07 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you want my opinion?

Go onto Summit.com, go buy some 200mph double sided tape, wash your car, pull the plastic off, and redo the taping yourself.

The Chevy dealer who was fixing my Camaro was kind enough to break all of the double sided tape off of my ground effects while replacing a muffler (rushing to get stuff done), and using that tape I've never had a single issue with sag.
Old 08-03-16, 12:56 PM
Randy20g
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is an entire procedure on how to remove the old tape, prepare the surface, apply the new tape, prime it, and re-apply the plastic. I imagine this procedure has not been followed to the letter.
Certain clips must also be replaced as they are marked non-reusable in the factory repair procedure.
Old 08-04-16, 05:26 PM
2merc3lex
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Randy20g is absolutely correct according to a friend of mine who is in the auto painting business. The one step that many (even some body repair shops) make is applying the two sided tape without applying the proper prime solution to the tape. My friend says he has never had one returned for coming loose when done properly.
Old 08-04-16, 05:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

OP, echoing the comments above, this has nothing to do with Lexus quality but instead a sub-par repair.
Old 08-09-16, 04:02 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
OP, echoing the comments above, this has nothing to do with Lexus quality but instead a sub-par repair.
Respectfully disagree.
A Euro car has its parts clip back with exact precision when removed.
The plastic fenders in comparable Euro suvs are clipped into place and sit in a recess in the body. Thoughtfully designed if ever the bumper bar needs to be removed and the fenders refitted. Bumber bar repair is the most common accident repair.
The NX fenders are a direct lift from the 6 year old Subaru XV. Toyota owns Subaru.
They sit ON the body work and are stuck on with tape. In addition the front fender is in a single piece. There is inherent tension pulling the fender away at the point where the bumper bar connects to the front panel. As people have front bumpers repaired this cheap and nasty design fault will become more evident. Good luck trying to find a repair shop that can replicate a factory robot.
These fenders will not be present in the NX redesign since the new RAV 4 has now adopted the Euro design.
By the way I'm on my 3rd set of fenders and the Lexus recommended repair shop have busted a gut trying to get them to fit.
Old 08-09-16, 05:45 AM
sixth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been checking the forums weekly to see if anyone else reports this - I too have this issue. Been back to dealer twice. Odd thing is only the passenger side is an issue. I have had both wheel wells plastic replaced and the bottom door plastic (passenger door) sill replaced. My car is brand new, no accidents. You can say what you want about the OP and his accident but sorry to say, every NX will have this issue (I was with the tech when they replaced the doors, the design is horrible). A Lexus with Double-Side tape to hold on plastic in many locations.

Keep an eye on the door sills especially the driver and passengers! (rears are held on little better). They will all eventually start to peel, its just clips and double-sided (foam tape) because there is CONSTANT pull on the tape and the plastic from underneath by the clips themselves. Depending on your climate it will happen sooner or later when the tape starts to weaken (salt, heat, etc) and they will start to pull and the tape will release.

J

Last edited by sixth; 08-09-16 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-09-16, 09:21 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
The NX fenders are a direct lift from the 6 year old Subaru XV. Toyota owns Subaru.
Huh? When did Toyota own Subaru? They own some shares and collaborate on some cars, but Toyota definitely doesn't own Subaru. They also didn't collaborate on the XV and the NX, so why would the NX fenders be a "direct lift?"
Old 08-09-16, 11:52 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sixth
Been checking the forums weekly to see if anyone else reports this - I too have this issue. Been back to dealer twice. Odd thing is only the passenger side is an issue. I have had both wheel wells plastic replaced and the bottom door plastic (passenger door) sill replaced. My car is brand new, no accidents. You can say what you want about the OP and his accident but sorry to say, every NX will have this issue (I was with the tech when they replaced the doors, the design is horrible). A Lexus with Double-Side tape to hold on plastic in many locations.

Keep an eye on the door sills especially the driver and passengers! (rears are held on little better). They will all eventually start to peel, its just clips and double-sided (foam tape) because there is CONSTANT pull on the tape and the plastic from underneath by the clips themselves. Depending on your climate it will happen sooner or later when the tape starts to weaken (salt, heat, etc) and they will start to pull and the tape will release.

J
Could the car have been damaged and repainted prior to delivery?