NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Drove the RX Today

Old 06-05-16, 02:17 AM
zkl2003
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I wouldn't say the RX is better than the NX; they both appeal to different people. We actually have both a 2016 RX350 (father's car) and a 2016 NX200t F-sport (sister's car) in our family's garage...I lean towards preferring to sit in the RX for the interior quality but prefer driving the NX.

The RX is more of a luxury cruiser, and offers more space while riding more comfortably. The higher price kinda makes Lexus need to put in a higher quality interior. The RX appeals to more of the older crowd.

The NX is more of a sporty, compact crossover that still rides comfortably but handles better. I wouldn't expect Lexus to put the same higher quality interior of the RX into the NX for the price they charge. The NX appeals to more of the younger crowd (or young in heart).
Wow! this is like the best answer here!!! you are so right about it. When i was buying cars, I test drive both cars over and over and I have the same view as you.
Old 06-05-16, 06:27 PM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
I don't get the praise of the NX's sportiness and handling. I actually feel it lacks agility for something named a "nimble crossover" and there's quite a bit of understeer too. It drives bigger than it is. Maybe it's because I have the Base FWD, but I just don't get it.
Handles even better if u lower it. So why don't u go to a dealership and test drive a Fsport and compare it to your base model.. Same thing goes when I had my 11 rx and my buddy had the 13 rx sport. It handles better than the non f sport.
Old 06-06-16, 12:08 AM
zkl2003
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rozay604
Handles even better if u lower it. So why don't u go to a dealership and test drive a Fsport and compare it to your base model.. Same thing goes when I had my 11 rx and my buddy had the 13 rx sport. It handles better than the non f sport.
that is true! People have to try the F Sport version. it does make a lot difference and super fun to drive around.
Old 06-07-16, 07:59 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinhead
got the new RX as a loner today.

ive said it time and time again that the NX's weakest point is the transmission.
The RXs 8 or 9 speed is generations better than the NX. The RX is a great car for its price. The NX not so much IMO. RX is what a Lexus should be overall.

I think if the NX has the RX transmission, the NX would be an amazing car. Its so good Im almost angry, good thing the NX is the spare car now...
The 8-speed transmission is one of the biggest complaints many owners have with the RX. I agree with the other owners that the 8-speed isn't programmed very well and seems to be in the wrong gear. It also makes it difficult to drive the car smoothly when not using Sport mode. I think the 6-speed in the NX (F-sport) is programmed better and doesn't hunt gears as much. Lexus needs to improve it a bit before putting it in the NX.

Last edited by dchar; 06-07-16 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-07-16, 07:05 PM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did notice that it hunts for gears but it shifts fast enough that I don't mind it. Its no twin clutch like in my M3 or Macan but it shifts fast enough. I rather have more gears that hunt vs 6 speed with tall gears.
Maybe because Im used to sports cars but the NXs transmission is my biggest gripe about the car.
I think the 6 speed auto on the NX shifts very smoothly and works very well with the turbo NX. So I really don't know what the complaint is. I have driven many six speed auto's and this one is right up ther with the best of them. It doesn't hunt much like most of them do.
Old 06-08-16, 06:42 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it shifts fine for an automatic, but in manual mode it seems to be a bit rough compared to other autos I've tried. The 8-speed ZF gearbox is amazing I think its the standard of the industry, its almost twin-clutch fast. I think the NX shifts smoothly and works well too, I just want 1 or 2 extra gears.
To me, this is not a car to manually shift. We are not talking about a sports car. Maybe this is because my other cat is a Z06 Corvette.

Yes the 8 speed transmission is better for gas mileage but, to me it shifts to much. Overall I think my NX gets very decent gas mileage. I would rather see a little more horsepower punch but, it's fine.