NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Potential new owner here w/questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 02:43 PM
dacommitte
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Potential new owner here w/questions.

Hello all, I am exploring getting into either a nx200T or the 300H. I currently drive a 15 CRV and get amazing fuel mileage w/it hence why I am considering the hybrid variant. I have enough equity on my CR-V that I can walk away and get into the Lexus but I have not been able to find a base 2WD NX300H, every single dealerships' are loaded to the gills with nearly 50K price tags. My auto broker continues to suggest me the NX200T F-Sport (about 1K below sticker plus the college grad rebate) but I am skeptical simply because I will have a higher payment, get worst fuel mileage than the CRV, and need premium fuel...
Is the 8-10K difference from the NX200h to the NX300h worth it to you guys? Any areas of concern within these vehicles to look for? How much below MSRP were you guys able to get down to?
Old 06-01-16, 03:55 PM
qiphlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if mpg is a concern, then i'd hold out for the hybrid. i'm averaging about 19 in mixed driving with my 200t (which is fine for me--it's worlds better than my tundra's mpg!). if you're set on the nx, why not have a dealership order you a base 300h?
Old 06-01-16, 04:23 PM
Joelinnh
Driver School Candidate

On my 2016 NX200T F-Sport with 2200 miles I'm averaging 24.9mpg. I drive mostly highway 80 miles out 90 per day. I live in NH so big hills
Old 06-01-16, 05:52 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dacommitte
Hello all, I am exploring getting into either a nx200T or the 300H. I currently drive a 15 CRV and get amazing fuel mileage w/it hence why I am considering the hybrid variant. I have enough equity on my CR-V that I can walk away and get into the Lexus but I have not been able to find a base 2WD NX300H, every single dealerships' are loaded to the gills with nearly 50K price tags. My auto broker continues to suggest me the NX200T F-Sport (about 1K below sticker plus the college grad rebate) but I am skeptical simply because I will have a higher payment, get worst fuel mileage than the CRV, and need premium fuel...
Is the 8-10K difference from the NX200h to the NX300h worth it to you guys? Any areas of concern within these vehicles to look for? How much below MSRP were you guys able to get down to?
Do the math...

Miles per year: 12,000
Gas Price (Regular): $2.83 per gallon (as per L.A. Times)
Gas Price (Premium): $3.05 per gallon (as per L.A. Times)

NX 200t
Avg MPG: 23.9 (as per NX 200t owners on fuelly.com)
Total Annual Fuel Cost: $1,531.38

NX 300h
Avg MPG: 30.1 (as per NX 300h owners on fuelly.com)
Total Annual Fuel Cost: $1,274.58

Gas Savings with hybrid: $256.80

Assume $9,000 extra for the hybrid (based on your "8-10K" comment), then 9,000 ÷ $256.80 = 35 years to pay-off the difference.

So, based strictly on these figures, then no, it is not worth it.
Old 06-01-16, 07:07 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Yes, if pure bottom line is your concern, stay away from hybrids. They will never pay for themselves based on gas prices. There are other benefits to a hybrid and we appreciate the good gas mileage, but we aren't fooled into thinking it will be cheaper over the long haul. Not only is it more expensive to buy, but it will eventually require a battery replacement if you keep it over the long haul. Now if you like a smooth acceleration with no shift points and a quieter vehicle, you may want to look at a hybrid.

By the way, we are getting over 34 in city driving with our hybrid, but the winter driving was down a few points and highway driving is also lower.
Old 06-02-16, 04:15 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hybrids don't pay for themselves as you don't save enough fuel. They are also not environmentally friendly either. Between mining the metals, shipping the metals to China, then Japan, then shipping the cars back to the USA, they really make no sense.
Old 06-02-16, 05:08 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

As of today, my NX200t has traveled 19,092 miles and gone through 61 tanks of premium fuel at an average price of $2.48/gal and has gotten an overall 24.88 MPG. The lowest/highest MPG for any tank were 20.33 and 28.18, respectively.

I drive 75% open highway and 25% city and use ECO mode exclusively. I also rarely mash the accelerator.
Old 06-02-16, 05:15 AM
MikeW83
Driver

In my humblest of opinions: If you're going to order a base model, you might as well look at the 2016 Rav4. A bare bones NX is only going to give you LED low beam headlights, a turbo, Nuluxe interior (vinyl) and (I think, I'm not 100% sure) heated seats. What in the heck is the point of spending $35k for that? That's why you hardly ever see a truly based out one driving around. Treat yourself a little bit if you're going to buy a Lexus. Save the money, don't buy the 300h, and get a Premium and/or Luxury packaged example.

The Rav4 Hybrid STARTS at $28k and some change, and is now even more similar to the NX with the 2016 redesign. Since you mentioned being a recent college grad, I can imagine money is tight as you're kind of starting out on your own. Maybe you're not at a Lexus level yet financially? Not judging or trying to play "dad" here, just want you to make a smart purchase since moola is the factor.... At the end of the day, drive whatever is going to make you happy! But shop around. The 300h is a pricey vehicle for iffy fuel economy at best. Our 2.0t VW Tiguan can average 30mpg if we don't beat on it.
Old 06-02-16, 09:41 AM
dacommitte
Rookie

Thanks for the all input guys. My auto broker is mentioning exactly what I see here regarding the hybrid's price difference not justifying the 8-10K. I don't mind paying 40K or even 50K for a car provided I am happy with it and get a good "deal", thank god I have a stable job and with the recent earning of my Masters I qualify for the Lexus rebate. I am starting to lean more towards the non-hybrid variant, especially after seeing the numbers posted here by NXOwner.
Couple of more questions:
Are the Nuluxe seats easy to wipe clean?
Is the 6 speed tranny in the NX200T serviceable or is it sealed?
Old 06-02-16, 11:56 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I am starting to lean more towards the non-hybrid variant, especially after seeing the numbers posted here by NXOwner.
My pleasure!

Are the Nuluxe seats easy to wipe clean?
Very easy. You can use a damp cloth or use a mild commercial cleaner like Mequiar's Leather & Vinyl Cleaner, which I bought but only used once. I found that a damp microfibre cloth works best.
Old 06-02-16, 01:00 PM
Bdwg22
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want small suv with decent mpg I would look at the BMW X1
Old 06-02-16, 02:09 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Just to chime in from experience of owning two Lexus hybrids...

Your return on investment will notably increase the more city driving you do. With a little effort (at first, then becomes second nature), you can easily beat the EPA's city fuel rating. My CT gave me 50 mpgs in the city when it's rated at 42 mpg... The NX 300h can get you in the mid to high 30s all on 87 octane (vs 91 for the NX 200t)

But even in this ideal though attainable scenario, you'll still pay a premium having a hybrid. But what drew me to two (and future one coming )is the smooth and quiet drive and the challenge of besting my prior MPGs - made it fun in a strange way.
Old 06-02-16, 08:11 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Thanks for the all input guys. My auto broker is mentioning exactly what I see here regarding the hybrid's price difference not justifying the 8-10K. I don't mind paying 40K or even 50K for a car provided I am happy with it and get a good "deal", thank god I have a stable job and with the recent earning of my Masters I qualify for the Lexus rebate. I am starting to lean more towards the non-hybrid variant, especially after seeing the numbers
Congrats on your Masters! Then you're definitely in need of treating yourself
Like NXOwner said, Nuluxe is really easy to take care of. However, since you're comfortable in the 40-50k area, see if you can snag yourself a luxury package NX. The leather is soft, easy to clean, and durable. The ventilated seats are much nicer than previous Lexus'. They now suck hot air out of the seat, as opposed to blowing luke-warm air in. A must on a hot day

Mine has Premium, Luxury, Nav, triple LED high/low, Blind-Spot w/cross traffic alert, power rear gate, auto high-beams, etc. and was "stickered" at 48k. You could probably grab one for about 45, right in the middle of where you want to be. Remember this, as I'm sure your broker can vouch, the more loaded a car is with features, it tends to offer higher resale value too....
Old 06-03-16, 09:18 AM
dacommitte
Rookie

My broker found a hybrid version for 3K below sticker price, its a color combo I like but its at a dealership almost 2 hours away. Downside it's that its an AWD which I find obsolete here in the LA area where we have we rarely have any rain. I am also worried about the long-term reliability of the AWD system since I plan keeping the vehicle long term. Any thoughts?
Old 06-03-16, 01:02 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
As of today, my NX200t has traveled 19,092 miles and gone through 61 tanks of premium fuel at an average price of $2.48/gal and has gotten an overall 24.88 MPG. The lowest/highest MPG for any tank were 20.33 and 28.18, respectively.

I drive 75% open highway and 25% city and use ECO mode exclusively. I also rarely mash the accelerator.
I do the same highway city split. Drive exclusively in sport mode and like watching that turbo screen go yellow when full boost hits. Also keep my roof racks on. I get 25 miles / gallon or 11.2 l/100kms.

Quick Reply: Potential new owner here w/questions.