NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

🔧 DIY: How to Convert Rear Turn Signal Bulbs to LED (w/video & pics) 💡

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 04:43 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I wanted to say a quick thank you to NXOWNER. I bought these lights (20-025 Amber) from JDMToy, and put them in after work today. I would never have taken the light assembly out to get this accomplished if I hadn't read this thread, and the instructions were perfect. There is nothing to add or change, and everything was expected.

I did discover 1 thing that made it easier. Because the new light is so much longer, it's not very easy to get back into the housing (i.e. impossible with the LED in) because there isn't enough slack in the wire. As NXOWNER points out (#7 Note), you can simply remove the seal off the tail light bulb by turning it. Once that's out you can disconnect the wire from the bulb (there is a tab you must release to get it off). Once off, you have all the room you need to work the LED into the housing and properly seated.

Removing the assembly once you've done it, is so easy, I went back and took the first one out again, and disconnected the tail light so I could make sure the new LED was secure in the socket. It wasn't.

Anyway. Thank you for these terrific instructions! They are awesome. The whole process took about 20 minutes, most of which was masking around the housing.
Old 02-06-17, 10:09 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I wanted to say a quick thank you to NXOWNER.
My pleasure, @Woodrow! Thank you for the kind words, as well as for the additional tips. Enjoy!!
The following users liked this post:
User 41924 (02-07-17)
Old 04-06-17, 07:02 PM
CebsJr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we get an update on the longevity of the bulbs? Disappointed in Lexus' decision to use crappy incandescent bulbs, would like to upgrade the these LED bulbs. Just want them to be a install and forget, rather than worrying if they fucntioning with the system properly​ and fitting nicely etc.

The link in the first post doesn't work for me either. I'm pretty sure I found the right 3.1" bulbs but would like someone to confirm
Old 04-06-17, 11:50 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by CebsJr
Can we get an update on the longevity of the bulbs? Disappointed in Lexus' decision to use crappy incandescent bulbs, would like to upgrade the these LED bulbs. Just want them to be a install and forget, rather than worrying if they fucntioning with the system properly​ and fitting nicely etc.

The link in the first post doesn't work for me either. I'm pretty sure I found the right 3.1" bulbs but would like someone to confirm
I am the original poster that installed the LEDs and started this thread. They are still going strong. I love the look of them when flashing.

By the way, I editing the broken link in the first post with a working link. Alternatively, here is the link.
Old 04-07-17, 06:46 AM
CebsJr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I am the original poster that installed the LEDs and started this thread. They are still going strong. I love the look of them when flashing.

By the way, I editing the broken link in the first post with a working link. Alternatively, here is the link.
Perfect, thanks so much!
Old 04-08-17, 05:50 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Great write up, again, as are all of your posts!
looks like we're neighbors. I'm a local Realtor in an office park on the major intersection near your pix.
Really enjoy your DIY's to help my decisions on our new acquisition, the "trucklet" (2016 200t awd). I totally agree with your choice of upgrades and would love to see them in person!
Feel free to send me a pm or call the number on the neon sign at my office. Our new girl is usually in the far corner of the parking lot during business hours.
Old 04-11-17, 07:46 AM
batchelor
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello all, I have been following this thread trying to decide if I want/need to do this or not. I like the look of the results I see. Just so I am clear, the rear assembly, tail light and brake light are LED but the turn signal is incandescent, is that correct?
Old 04-11-17, 07:51 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

the brake light is not LED, you have to swap that out, which is really easy, you access those from panels on the rear hatch
Old 04-11-17, 01:46 PM
CebsJr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typocl
the brake light is not LED, you have to swap that out, which is really easy, you access those from panels on the rear hatch
They certainly look LED. As far as I'm aware the reverse lights are also not LED, and same with the license plate lights
Old 04-11-17, 02:02 PM
typocl
Instructor

SORRY! I meant reverse lights are not LED...
Old 04-30-17, 01:16 PM
Kenster
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write-up which gave me the confidence to make a purchase and do the install.<br /><br />The most time spent was cautiously trying to take out the light assembly. The rest was very simple.<br /><br />Big kudos to the instructions. I'm also enjoying the "modern" turn signal.
Old 05-01-17, 09:08 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Ugh. I was perfectly happy, until I read this!

I knew the reverse lights were't LED, but had forgotten. I didn't know about the license plate lights were. Now have to change them out, too. I might as well finish. In addition to the license plate and reverse lights, I'll need the vanity lights, and cargo lights. I think that's it. I used the link above for JDMToy, but they don't list the NX. Does Anyone know which LED's I need to buy?
Old 05-01-17, 11:40 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Ugh. I was perfectly happy, until I read this!

I knew the reverse lights were't LED, but had forgotten. I didn't know about the license plate lights were. Now have to change them out, too. I might as well finish. In addition to the license plate and reverse lights, I'll need the vanity lights, and cargo lights. I think that's it. I used the link above for JDMToy, but they don't list the NX. Does Anyone know which LED's I need to buy?

I believe the license plate lights are already LED. Vanity lights and luggage compartment lights are T10 bulbs, but be careful about size of LED for luggage compartment lights since the housing is tight.
Old 05-01-17, 11:55 AM
typocl
Instructor

note, your cargo lights may not be double end bulbs. early models were that way, but later ones were wedge (same as vanity lights)
Old 05-01-17, 11:30 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by Kenster
Great write-up which gave me the confidence to make a purchase and do the install.<br /><br />The most time spent was cautiously trying to take out the light assembly. The rest was very simple.<br /><br />Big kudos to the instructions. I'm also enjoying the "modern" turn signal.
You are very welcome, @Kenster! It always makes me happy when I can help someone!

Quick Reply: 🔧 DIY: How to Convert Rear Turn Signal Bulbs to LED (w/video & pics) 💡