NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX200t or Santa Fe Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 10:27 AM
hwitten
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NX200t or Santa Fe Sport?

I know it's a somewhat unfair question but here goes.....

I have a '13 SFS and am happy with it.
I simply want a new car, primarily for some of the new tech since '13.

I've been looking for 6+ months and am left with deciding between SFS and NX Executive.

SF has the tech in their '17 but in some areas not as sophisticated. Has cameras all around vs just sensors on the NX. NX has HUD and would be more like a new car for me although a bit more cramped than the Santa Fe. Santa Fe is about 10k less green, nothing to sneeze at.

Neither deal is exceptionally good. On average about 1-2k under factory, which may be the norm for new/popular vehicles in Canada. I'm just not sure. Then there is East vs West coast. Pricing is all so complicated

Just wondering if someone has already walked in my shoes and decided on NX. Reasoning would be very much appreciated.

SF is supposed to be at the dealer early May. After a driving it and after a refresher test drive in the NX it will be decision time for real.

In the meantime I continue to lurk and am pleased to find no posts about major issues. To be fair though, none over at Santa Fe forum either.
It may come down to dealer being 10 minutes away versus 45
Old 04-23-16, 05:21 PM
LNXT200
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best thing is to take a tour at the local dealer, do a test drive, and decide for yourself.
Old 04-23-16, 08:26 PM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hwitten
I know it's a somewhat unfair question but here goes.....

I have a '13 SFS and am happy with it.
I simply want a new car, primarily for some of the new tech since '13.

I've been looking for 6+ months and am left with deciding between SFS and NX Executive.

SF has the tech in their '17 but in some areas not as sophisticated. Has cameras all around vs just sensors on the NX. NX has HUD and would be more like a new car for me although a bit more cramped than the Santa Fe. Santa Fe is about 10k less green, nothing to sneeze at.

Neither deal is exceptionally good. On average about 1-2k under factory, which may be the norm for new/popular vehicles in Canada. I'm just not sure. Then there is East vs West coast. Pricing is all so complicated

Just wondering if someone has already walked in my shoes and decided on NX. Reasoning would be very much appreciated.

SF is supposed to be at the dealer early May. After a driving it and after a refresher test drive in the NX it will be decision time for real.

In the meantime I continue to lurk and am pleased to find no posts about major issues. To be fair though, none over at Santa Fe forum either.
It may come down to dealer being 10 minutes away versus 45
I can't say a bad word about the SFS or any Hyundai for that matter. I have owned two Hyundai's and loved them both. I have driven my Sister's bad SFS and it is a very nice car for the money.

So let's talk about the NX. I love it. It is sporty, has a great look and that typical Lexus luxury, but it is at a hefty price tag. If money is an issue, go with the new SFS. If not, the NX is a great choice.

I went back to Lexus because I have had some very good look with the one's that I have owned. Never doing anything more than change the oil, brakes and cabin filter.

In the end it is your choice. You can not go wrong with either car of you can wait for the first Genesis SUV. The only problem is when it will make the dealerships.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 04-23-16, 09:18 PM
JayRo354
Rookie

Test drive first to see if it fits with what your expectations are if any.
Old 04-23-16, 09:49 PM
hwitten
Driver School Candidate

So let's talk about the NX. I love it. It is sporty, has a great look and that typical Lexus luxury, but it is at a hefty price tag. If money is an issue, go with the new SFS. If not, the NX is a great choice.

I went back to Lexus because I have had some very good look with the one's that I have owned. Never doing anything more than change the oil, brakes and cabin filter.
Thank you Steve.

That's exactly what is keeping the NX on my list... that it's a bit sportier and would actually be more like a new car to me.

I am a bit concerned that I'd be downsizing a bit but I also know that one adjusts to space available so in reality it may not be an issue.

Am I going to regret not having carplay, etc... probably not.

Will I regret not having automatic opening for back door... probably not.

I would miss the surround cameras, but since I don't have them now, again possible non-issue and the NX has sensors to help.

I would definitely enjoy the HUD, LED headlights, LD Assist, possibly.

In other words each one has some good stuff.
I can afford either one but have an adversity to spending more than necessary
Means that I'm quietly hoping that I will find something wrong with the new SFS so that it becomes necessary to spend the extra money. Just heard from Hyundai dealer that a few Ultimates came in so I'm hoping for a drive tomorrow.

Being extra fussy as this is probably my last new vehicle purchase. Another reason to favor the NX.
Doing a lot of overthinking.

BTW, 'way past the test drive stage on the NX. Mind you, had to make due with the 300h for the tech as Executive trim seems hard to come by.
Old 04-24-16, 11:31 AM
LNXT200
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Santa is a ok midsize suv, but it is not a luxury vehicle, quality and interior design looks cheap. Lexus has more to offer, and will retain more value over the time.
Old 04-29-16, 03:23 PM
OptimaGolf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough call.

I have NX and drive a SFS a few times a week.

Santa Fe has a lot of features that the NX doesn't.
Lane Departure Warning
Lane Keep Assist
Automatic Emergency braking with Pedestrian detection (NX doesn't have full braking)
Multi-view camera
Apple carplay and ANdroid auto
Pano sunroof
few other little things.

Some people can't get past the badge on the car. Both are really great cars and would just suggest driving both and seeing what fits you.
Old 04-29-16, 09:08 PM
sdiver68
Driver

Originally Posted by LNXT200
Santa is a ok midsize suv, but it is not a luxury vehicle, quality and interior design looks cheap. Lexus has more to offer, and will retain more value over the time.
Huh? With a $10k price difference at no point in their respective depreciation curves can I see the NX worth more than the SFS + $10k.
Old 04-29-16, 09:15 PM
OptimaGolf
Driver School Candidate

Lexus NX is no luxury car itself though.

But yes, LEXUS in general has great resale value.

I wouldn't say it has more to offer when on paper the Santa fe sport actually offers a lot more for less.
Old 04-30-16, 12:35 AM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Test drive both cars and decide for yourself...
Old 04-30-16, 03:27 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OptimaGolf
Lexus NX is no luxury car itself though.
How is the NX not a luxury car? It *IS* a luxury car. It's a hell of a nicer car than my friends Mercedes which cost the same price as my NX.
Old 04-30-16, 04:56 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
How is the NX not a luxury car? It *IS* a luxury car. It's a hell of a nicer car than my friends Mercedes which cost the same price as my NX.
Totally agree with you. The NX is every bit a Luxury car in and out.

I can not say a bad thing about Hyundai's. I have owned two of them and they were very good cars but they are by no means a Lexus. I have owned both. The reliability of the Lexus IS far superior to the Hyundai and as for the price difference it is more like $6k between a same equipped NX and Santa Fe.
Old 04-30-16, 05:02 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SteveDeech
Totally agree with you. The NX is every bit a Luxury car in and out.

I can not say a bad thing about Hyundai's. I have owned two of them and they were very good cars but they are by no means a Lexus. I have owned both. The reliability of the Lexus IS far superior to the Hyundai and as for the price difference it is more like $6k between a same equipped NX and Santa Fe.
I forgot to add, my friend's Mercedes has a plastic dash, I'm not sure about the NX, but I'm pretty sure even the base model has a leather covered dash.

Little things like cup holders that keep the bottle from turning while opening the lids with one hand are the nice things about Lexus.
Old 04-30-16, 10:25 AM
OptimaGolf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
There are a ton of cars that are nicer than a mercedes. My wife has a mercedes and I also have a Kia Optima SXL 2015. My kia is by far nicer than her car but it is not a luxury car.
Old 04-30-16, 10:27 AM
OptimaGolf
Driver School Candidate

The NX interior centerstack is about as plastic as it gets. That is the worst part about the car.

Quick Reply: NX200t or Santa Fe Sport?