NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Bike rack options on NX Fsport?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 03:40 PM
ggarriso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike rack options on NX Fsport?

Hey all! I am the proud owner of a NX FSPORT 2016 - I have been googling away on the best bike rack options and I am a bit confused by whats available. I suppose option one would be to have a hitch installed and use a hitch rack. If we don't want to go that route it seems Thule makes some roof mount options but I can't make heads or tails of whats involved here.

My roof has two rails on it, but no crossbar. Do I need to install a crossbar system before I can install one of the bike rack systems? Does anyone know any of these systems that work really well for two bikes? Thanks much for any thoughts

--G
Old 03-10-16, 03:46 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

see this link for what NXOwner has - his hitch system supports 2 bikes

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-w-photos.html

of course, you need to install the hitch as well.

For roof rack, you would need to install the cross bars. The issue with putting them on the roof is how easy it is to put your bike up there without dinging anything.
Old 03-10-16, 03:51 PM
LNXT200
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes you need the cross bars first to mount anything on the roof, I would get the hitch and use any bike rack of your preference, plus the cross bars cost much more around $350.00
Old 03-10-16, 07:24 PM
typocl
Instructor

hitch install instructions and photos if you're going that route:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-w-photos.html

much easier if you have a friend to help hold things up
Old 03-10-16, 07:33 PM
ggarriso
Driver School Candidate

thanks all for the advice - looks like ill be slamming on that hitch
Old 03-11-16, 03:56 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Bikes also fit inside the NX. That's where I carry mine
Old 03-11-16, 06:05 AM
scomosr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr645
Bikes also fit inside the NX. That's where I carry mine
Do you just remove the front wheel? We just got our and I need to transport my road bike and tt bike to a race and was wondering if they would fit on the inside or not.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-16, 06:24 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

With the rear seats down, it fits easily with the wheels on, in fact I put one road bike in, covert with a heavy blanket and another fits on top. Still room for bags etc. I cannot fit one bike in without removing the front wheel if either rear seat is up
Old 03-11-16, 06:58 AM
scomosr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr645
With the rear seats down, it fits easily with the wheels on, in fact I put one road bike in, covert with a heavy blanket and another fits on top. Still room for bags etc. I cannot fit one bike in without removing the front wheel if either rear seat is up
Ah, You are laying them down. I was picturing you standing them up. Great idea and thanks!
Old 03-11-16, 08:25 AM
Toneroni
Driver School Candidate

I might try to just fit them inside for now also, don't really want to install a hitch yet.
Old 03-11-16, 09:17 AM
scomosr
Driver School Candidate

A great alternative that I use if I am bringing just one bike is a rack made by Seasucker. It attaches with suction cups. I have went on trips up to 8 hours and it has worked great. The only downside is you can't "lock" it to your vehicle cleanly. Below is the rack on our car:

Old 03-11-16, 02:42 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Lexus provides all the bits and pieces to carry bikes. The roof rack system has the advantage of carrying up to 4 bikes securely including the fragile frames of carbon bikes.

The factory Lexus hitch is very expensive. In Australia the wiring system is mandatory. This requires a lot of trim to be removed including part of the dash.

Old 03-11-16, 02:48 PM
typocl
Instructor

I think the factory hitch is expensive because of extra work with the wiring they do to allow for brake lights for a trailer.

If just using it for a bike rack, you can get an aftermarket hitch from a site like AutoAnything, which will be $120 or less. Then a bike rack for it. Installation of the hitch is pretty easy if you have a friend to help.
Old 07-27-16, 07:11 PM
Nxlx
Driver School Candidate

Got the same crossbars and have been looking into bike racks.

Wondering what's the make and model of that rack you have there? How tall are you and how hard do you find putting on and taking off the bike from the rack? TIA.

Originally Posted by miop4000
Lexus provides all the bits and pieces to carry bikes. The roof rack system has the advantage of carrying up to 4 bikes securely including the fragile frames of carbon bikes.

The factory Lexus hitch is very expensive. In Australia the wiring system is mandatory. This requires a lot of trim to be removed including part of the dash.

Old 07-27-16, 10:35 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Here are mine, Thule AeroBars with 594XT Sidearm. I have to say they are a bit bulky when you don't have a bike on them, but they do hold the bike really well. I was on the freeway doing 70-80mph and it didnt flinch. If your bike doesnt have QRs, then something like this would be beneficial.

Quick Reply: Bike rack options on NX Fsport?