NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Engine noise

Old 03-07-16, 10:31 AM
dvdmull
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Engine noise

So Im passing on my next 500 miles on the odometer. Im very impressed with my NX F-Sport thus far with the exception on the engine noise. I know it's a 4 cylinder but it dose seem to be loud coming through the engine compartment into the interior. Sounds like a struggling 4 cylinder. I can hear the turbo whirling but engine seems loud for a $50,000 price tag vehicle.

Any thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
NickyKB (10-31-20)
Old 03-07-16, 10:51 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdmull
So Im passing on my next 500 miles on the odometer. Im very impressed with my NX F-Sport thus far with the exception on the engine noise. I know it's a 4 cylinder but it dose seem to be loud coming through the engine compartment into the interior. Sounds like a struggling 4 cylinder. I can hear the turbo whirling but engine seems loud for a $50,000 price tag vehicle.

Any thoughts?

Is your Automatic Sound Control turned on, and at what level? I have mine off, really don't notice any particular engine sound beyond normal. Came from a ES300h, also a 4, but hybrid, and don't hear much difference.
Old 03-07-16, 10:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If you came from a V6 or V8 you'll definitely notice the engine noise. As you mentioned it's one of the drawbacks to a 4 cylinder engine.
Old 03-08-16, 03:55 PM
dvdmull
Driver School Candidate

I've tried both on and off with that Auto Sound Controller. Don't really hear much of difference. Don't get me wrong the engine is performing nicely so far but just seems like a heat shield or something is vibrating.
Old 03-08-16, 08:42 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
Is your Automatic Sound Control turned on, and at what level? I have mine off, really don't notice any particular engine sound beyond normal. Came from a ES300h, also a 4, but hybrid, and don't hear much difference.
There must have been something wrong with your ES-300h. Our NX-300h has considerably more noticeable engine noise than our ES-300h. In our case, the two cars have the same 2.5L internal combustion engine. it definitely isn't the typical quiet Lexus ride, but it isn't terrible and according to a simple phone app, about 3db quieter than the RDX we drove. We just hear quite a bit of general engine groan but some of that is expected with the hybrid drivetrain.

Last edited by TechNut; 03-08-16 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-17-16, 12:51 PM
vkliem21
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any update? I recently ('15 F-sport, 8K miles) am noticing a humming noise while my engine is running on idle. It's not there when I first start the vehicle, but after I drive the noise seems to show up. Don't remember ever hearing the noise before.
NickyKB (10-31-20)
Old 05-03-16, 02:36 PM
dvdmull
Driver School Candidate

I've got 1500 on the clock now and it has quieted down considerably. So far so good.

BumbleD (08-26-22)
Old 05-03-16, 04:50 PM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdmull

I've got 1500 on the clock now and it has quieted down considerably. So far so good.

Sorry guys I have the non f sport and I don't hear any noise from the engine. It is for the most part quiet. I don't think it is and different from a 6 or 8. Yes other 4's from other manufacturers are very load and noisy. I find the Lexus 4 smooth and quiet.
Old 05-03-16, 08:00 PM
NXblue
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Noisy?

I think this SUV is a lot quitter than my turbo, 4 cyl. SUV that I traded in (RDX w/ turbo) The NX200t is quite for a 4 cyl., turbo'ed that creates this much HP & TORQUE, there is going to be some noise, but I think this one is just right for sound. It's there, but pretty quite for what it is!

Last edited by NXblue; 05-03-16 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-07-16, 01:45 AM
NXNick
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NXblue
I think this SUV is a lot quitter than my turbo, 4 cyl. SUV that I traded in (RDX w/ turbo) The NX200t is quite for a 4 cyl., turbo'ed that creates this much HP & TORQUE, there is going to be some noise, but I think this one is just right for sound. It's there, but pretty quite for what it is!
I just can't believe how quiet this 4 banger is, either! My last car was a Toyota 3.5L V-6, and I barely hear the difference at idle, and almost can't tell while driving. Couldn't be happier, and though I lost over 35 hp, it's not really noticed by my wife, either. She has 900 miles now, and I hear a quieter, smoother engine, too.
Old 05-07-16, 09:12 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

So to chime in... For a 4 cyl, notwithstanding the occasional 760 rpm rough idle I experience, this is the smoothest and quietest 4 cyl I've experienced to date, across the entire rpm range. The Ford 2L Ecoboost for example is as smooth and quiet up to 3500 rpm, but becomes louder and harsher to redline. Compared to my IS 250 and RC F, it's 99% as smooth and 110%+ quieter
Old 05-07-16, 10:26 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

6 weeks pass now. I do feel the slight vibration when idling at times.
Last night I drove our 2010 RX for the first time since purchasing NX.
So smooth at idle. Too bad the NX doesn't feel like the RX.
I am so hooked on the alert/safety functions on NX, I found driving the RX almost seemed dangerous.
We are now looking to replace the RX.
Looking for performance coupe. I.e. BMW 425 or Audi A4.
Wish Lexus had something comparable.
IS is too small; will look at GS, but it's hard to pass on BMW elegance.
Old 05-07-16, 12:28 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
Performance coupe or sedan? The BMW 428 (not 425) and Audi A5 (not A4) are coupes, but I wouldn't consider these "performance" coupes with their turbo-4 engines.

Lexus does have a competitor in the coupe segment: the RC, which has a turbo-4 option now like the cars you mentioned.
Old 05-08-16, 03:40 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
6 weeks pass now. I do feel the slight vibration when idling at times.
Last night I drove our 2010 RX for the first time since purchasing NX.
So smooth at idle. Too bad the NX doesn't feel like the RX.
I am so hooked on the alert/safety functions on NX, I found driving the RX almost seemed dangerous.
Originally Posted by dchar
Performance coupe or sedan? The BMW 428 (not 425) and Audi A5 (not A4) are coupes, but I wouldn't consider these "performance" coupes with their turbo-4 engines.

Lexus does have a competitor in the coupe segment: the RC, which has a turbo-4 option now like the cars you mentioned.

+1 on the RC and best option (as you both know) for long-term ownership.

I miss the RX's V6 idle smoothness too and for those who would prefer a six over a turbo four like myself, it may be coming up in a '17 or '18 as per the registered "NX 300" moniker.
Old 05-12-16, 07:55 AM
vkliem21
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vkliem21
Any update? I recently ('15 F-sport, 8K miles) am noticing a humming noise while my engine is running on idle. It's not there when I first start the vehicle, but after I drive the noise seems to show up. Don't remember ever hearing the noise before.
Update: Took my car to the service dept to look into this "high-pitch humming" noise a month ago. I specifically requested a NX loaner, which had double the miles, to confirm if "humming' noise was normal. Nope, no humming noise on loaner.

The advisor said the technician ran a diagnostic and everything check out fine. The tech even noted in the paperwork that he couldn't replicate the noise. Knowing that my 10K maintenance was coming up, I decided to just drive it and hope it would work itself out. When I drove home, the humming noise was still there. Wishful thinking.

Yesterday at my 10K maintenance, I made sure a tech confirm that he hears the same "humming" noise. He initially thought I was talking about the coolant fan, until we went on a test drive and I replicated the noise immediately. Tech believes he has isolated the noise and has a part on order, but they are having a district/regional rep to come out and check it out in a few days. Will keep you posted.

Last edited by vkliem21; 05-17-16 at 01:36 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine noise