Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 11:25 AM
2merc3lex
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Before and After

Before:

After:

I purchased the NX late Nov, but wanted to wait until I did a few mods to post pictures. The paint shop did a very good job and I am very happy with the outcome.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (02-26-20)
Old 02-14-16, 01:13 PM
ClaudeNX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice job, looks good
Old 02-14-16, 04:20 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

that is nice!
Old 02-14-16, 06:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice work. Can you post how much the job cost?
Old 02-14-16, 07:12 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks pretty good
Old 02-14-16, 07:42 PM
2merc3lex
Rookie

Thanks guys. I know it would look much better with larger wheels, etc., which is something I will give some thought to. The paint job, wheel arches, rear bumper, and mud guards cost me $750 from a professional painter at a very small one man shop. I have an extra set of mud guards, front/rear, that I had purchased prior to delivery of special ordered car. When NX finally came in it already had guards installed. I decided to keep the extra set in case I did not like the painted ones after they were mounted. I believe I will stick with the painted ones, so now I have a OEM set I will let go for $50 including shipping anywhere in the contiguous 48 states.
Old 02-14-16, 07:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Very reasonable price. Do you know if he sanded down the plastic "lightly-dimpled" trim or filled it in before priming/painting? How smooth is the finish?
Old 02-14-16, 08:32 PM
2merc3lex
Rookie

Corrado, he did not sand but he used various chemicals to clean all parts so that paint would adhere. I can't be sure what, but something was added to the paint also. Arches and bumper turned out extremely smooth. The mud guards are not as smooth (not bad) but not quite as finely finished. I probably would recommend to anyone doing this to theirs, that the guards be sanded, because the paint reflects the color slightly differently when not sanded.
Old 02-15-16, 01:35 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Do you know if he sanded down the plastic "lightly-dimpled" trim or filled it in before priming/painting? How smooth is the finish?
Good thing we have black NXs

Although do you think our cars would look nicer with gloss black on them?
Old 02-15-16, 09:20 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Paint additive was likely "flex agent" that keeps the paint from cracking when the underlying
surface moves and flexes. Nice job, looks classier and less Tonka.
Old 02-15-16, 10:04 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

looks way way way better like that. im digging it.
Old 02-15-16, 11:20 AM
2merc3lex
Rookie

mcomer you are correct about that additive. I remember my painter telling me something similar to this. After the painting and before installation of the guards, he demonstrated the strength of the paint by flexing the guard back and forth. He also stressed the fact that plastics come from the mold with various coatings/residue, etc., and as elementary as it may sound, it is essential that everything is completely removed for proper adherence of paint.
Old 02-15-16, 11:52 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

nice! that's the first thing I'd do as well color matching the fenders, rear bumper, and mud guards. it should have come that way from the manufacturer
Old 02-15-16, 01:16 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by 2merc3lex
Corrado, he did not sand but he used various chemicals to clean all parts so that paint would adhere. I can't be sure what, but something was added to the paint also. Arches and bumper turned out extremely smooth. The mud guards are not as smooth (not bad) but not quite as finely finished. I probably would recommend to anyone doing this to theirs, that the guards be sanded, because the paint reflects the color slightly differently when not sanded.
The paint must have been thick enough to have a smooth finish. I assume the arches were removed?

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
Good thing we have black NXs

Although do you think our cars would look nicer with gloss black on them?
Partly why I picked Obsidian.

However, if my NX was not a lease, I'd probably get the arches painted provided they're professionally finished/smooth.
Old 02-15-16, 02:11 PM
2merc3lex
Rookie

Nothing was removed except the mud guards. We considered removing the arches, but decided not to when the thought came up that in the process of removing and reinstalling plastic so thin that there might be a possibility that a deformity or wavy reflection in the shiny painted finish could result. In looking at the final result, I am glad we decided to paint them on the car. Now I must say that my painter did remove the screws, etc., as he did not want to paint those (he painted under side of arches). He did a superb job of covering the whole car, taping around wheel wells, wheels, and under car to prevent any hint of overspray anywhere. I really believe it would take a trained eye and up-close examination to detect a painted job.

Quick Reply: Before and After