NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Looking for Feedback from Lexus Nav Users

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 04:18 PM
hwitten
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for Feedback from Lexus Nav Users

I currently have 8in factory Nav in my Santa Fe.
While it's not perfect I prefer Factory Nav to Nav on iPhone 6 or 6+ so please restrict feedback to actual Lexus Nav in the NX (or RX assuming functionality is same).

While my existing is touch screen, tasks like setting destination are initiated via button.
What I did not find during test-drive is a short-cut or button that would take me direct to Nav but I guess that will be part of migrating to touch pad from touch screen.

Not only is the screen a bit smaller at 7in but it also seems a bit further away, but in a better field of view. Possible trade-off.

It's all trade-offs, I know.
Just wondering what you think of the Lexus Nav, assuming that you are using it.
Also wondering if there is anything you miss over previous factory nav and whose that previous was.

And on the other hand... is there something that's better than previous.

Thank you
Old 02-06-16, 04:23 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

In the older RX's like I had, there was a physical "Map" button to take you directly to the navigation map. However, in the NX, there is none. I've set up my Home screen to have the nav map on the left side (radio and weather on the right).

So, no matter where I am in the infotainment system, I can simply press the "Home" button and click on the map with the touchpad. This brings me to the full-screen map.

It's two taps, instead of one, but I'll live with it. Yes, I would prefer Lexus return to a physical "Map" button.
Old 02-06-16, 05:27 PM
hwitten
Driver School Candidate

For Canadian NX'ers... do we get any Lexus Apps or "Web Search" for finding POI's?

I do believe we get hey siri? or not?
Old 02-06-16, 09:27 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The nav on my NX is great. You also get a view on the LCD in-between the dials. Because I have the HUD, it also shows there. So really there is no shortage of nav info.

I don't think Canada gets search as there is no Enform available, but I'm sure there is offline POI search within the navigation.
Old 02-07-16, 01:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^+1 Correct about Canadian NAV limitations due to lack of Enform.

However, despite limited features of the infortainment in Canada, with HUD equipped models, you get the turn-by-turn display popup in the HUD display , something you won't get with phone-based NAV.

Old 02-07-16, 02:15 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

the remote touch interface in the NX i would find quite distracting if you weren't at a full stop... and its also kind of laggy when using the interface but I'm not sure if they changed it at all because we have a 2015 NX model, the 2016 could have an updated software making it much better, but honestly the touch screens were so much better than what we have now
Old 02-07-16, 10:01 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by jmull3r
the remote touch interface in the NX i would find quite distracting if you weren't at a full stop... and its also kind of laggy when using the interface but I'm not sure if they changed it at all because we have a 2015 NX model, the 2016 could have an updated software making it much better, but honestly the touch screens were so much better than what we have now
Agreed, but the nav screens are now further away from the driver, creating the need for remote controlling it.

By the way, I've tweaked the settings on the touch pad and have really gotten used to it now (whether driving or stopped).
Old 02-07-16, 10:09 PM
hwitten
Driver School Candidate

By the way, I've tweaked the settings on the touch pad and have really gotten used to it now (whether driving or stopped).
Were you able to tweak touch pad via Settings, Dealer or Black Magic (some App)?
Old 02-07-16, 10:12 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by hwitten
Were you able to tweak touch pad via Settings, Dealer or Black Magic (some App)?
Some "secret" settings! LOL!

Seriously, I followed these instructions.
Old 02-07-16, 10:22 PM
hwitten
Driver School Candidate

Black Lexus Magic indeed.

Thank you. Filed away for future use
Old 02-07-16, 10:29 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by hwitten
Black Lexus Magic indeed.

Thank you. Filed away for future use
Be careful, that video may not always be available. In other words, that could become a dead link one day. I recommend downloading the video file, just in case. That's what I have filed away.
Old 02-07-16, 10:30 PM
hwitten
Driver School Candidate

That's what I did

Won't see my NX until April, assuming I'm buying. One last test drive on Tuesday to check out Nav, etc. and then I will most likely order.

Last edited by hwitten; 02-07-16 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-07-16, 11:50 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
That's exactly how the HUD looks like and it's excellent. It's also animated and it makes going around roundabouts so easy.

Originally Posted by jmull3r
the remote touch interface in the NX i would find quite distracting if you weren't at a full stop...
Touchscreen don't belong in cars IMO... I much prefer a pointing device/****. The remote touch is not the best, but once you get used to it, you can get to menus extremely fast. I've mastered the QWERTY keyboard already

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Be careful, that video may not always be available. In other words, that could become a dead link one day. I recommend downloading the video file, just in case. That's what I have filed away.
Lexus uploaded these videos on YouTube. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWO...7p9_Uzg/videos

There are around 13 NX specific ones and a few other generic ones too.
Old 02-09-16, 06:50 PM
hwitten
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the YouTube links. Very interesting and helpful.

Had a Sport out today for Nav, HUD, ACC, Lane Assist. All went well enough to place my order.

Was a little disappointed that the Speed Limit from Nav wasn't showing on the HUD but aside from that, all was good.

Going to have to get used to using the expensive gas I guess
Wonder how many times I'll pick the wrong nozzle.
Old 02-11-16, 08:56 PM
NXblue
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default NAV stuff

While I like the NAV in the NX overall, it's better than my past on in the Acura RDX. It was easier to see the street lines in the RDX, (closer screen?) it was very cumbersome to say, go to an address. You would have to first say the city, then the street name, (NO street, rd, circle, etc) then the street number, then a number choice if more than one were close to what you're looking for! The Nx is "say the complete address" is SO much easier! The 3d look is better looking. Touch screen is ok, but far away & voice control is much easier to use. Still learning the total control of the NAV, but happy so far. Different map settings is also nice! .

Quick Reply: Looking for Feedback from Lexus Nav Users