Triple LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 07:44 PM
tx8koibito
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triple LED headlights

Hi Everyone,

My F sport came with the Triple LED Headlights however at close inspection I noted that the lights appears to be mis-alligned and offset more to the passenger side, - no matter how many time I tried to aim the headlight it never seem to focus properly.

thanks
Old 12-29-16, 07:01 PM
toonchew
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do you mean by mis-aligned? do you have a picture? ive been driving my NX for a week now and notice my triple LED headlights might be aimed too low. did you ever find a way to adjust it?
Old 12-29-16, 09:29 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I believe all headlights are aligned slightly to the right (for left drive models, opposite for right drive) to prevent blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 12-29-16, 09:56 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I agree, the triple beam lights feel like they are aimed slightly low and just slightly to the right. I can literally see a line in front of the vehicle where the light drops off. That line "feels" low compared to our RXs that had HID lights. I can only assume that is to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. Regardless, they are the most amazing lights I have ever had on a vehicle and we really like them.

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice on adjusting the lights. I can only verify that I share your observation regarding the odd factory alignment.
Old 12-30-16, 09:38 AM
toonchew
Driver School Candidate

Yea, they are amazing and very bright. I just wish they were aimed a tad higher to see further down the road, but at the same time I don't want to it to be too high and blind oncoming traffic, and also so high the cutoff line is gone. My wife says I'm overthinking it. Maybe I am?

Has anyone here adjusted the height of their triple LEDs?
Old 12-31-16, 03:55 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toonchew
I haven't, but there is a screw on the headlights that allow you to adjust it.
Old 12-31-16, 06:52 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

We don't have the triple LEDs. Our headlights were too high so we had the dealer adjust them at the 10K service. They adjusted them too low so I brought them up slightly. The adjustment was easy, a Phillips screwdriver slot on the back of the headlight.
Old 12-31-16, 04:37 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I agree, the triple beam lights feel like they are aimed slightly low and just slightly to the right. I can literally see a line in front of the vehicle where the light drops off. That line "feels" low compared to our RXs that had HID lights.
The next time you are stopped behind another car at an intersection, check out the line then. Any higher and it'll probably be blinding them from behind.

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I can only assume that is to prevent blinding oncoming traffic
...and traffic going in the same direction as you.
Old 12-31-16, 05:32 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I agree. I am going to trust that they are appropriately set to balance driver visibility and avoid interference with other traffic, either coming or going. They are still a noticeable improvement over any other car i have ever owned so I can't really complain.
Old 12-31-16, 11:29 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Get to a dark-ish covered parking lot. Drive to a wall, about 10 feet away, note the height of your headlight cutoff lines on the wall. Reverse away. You should see the cutoff getting lower and lower. If it remains the same height, or starts to climb, then the angle of your lights are set too high and will blind oncoming traffic.

All headlights have a center point where there will be an abrupt change in the cutoff line. Some start angling sharply up, some just have a step up then flat, but whichever the case, it is perfectly normal to perceive the passenger side being set higher than the drivers side. Don't over think this.
Old 01-02-17, 11:38 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I've noticed this, too. I wonder if because of the distinct cutoff, less light to bleeds off into the areas you would expect to see SOME light. The very tight focus encourages the use of high beams, which seem to have excellent coverage. Considering this, should the LED headlight option should only be offered with the auto dimming option?
Old 01-02-17, 06:43 PM
toonchew
Driver School Candidate

Well I stopped by the dealership to have them take a look at my lights (among other issues). But the tech said he compared it to 3 other NXs with triple led headlights and they were all the same, deeming it normal and aimed where it should be. Like others have mentioned, I think there is a way to adjust it higher/lower but I haven't decided it I should or not.

On another note, they loaned me a 2016 RX with HIDs and those look fantastic too. Granted it is sitting higher than the NX, the visibility was great.
Old 01-02-17, 09:12 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

On another note, they loaned me a 2016 RX with HIDs and those look fantastic too. Granted it is sitting higher than the NX, the visibility was great.
The standard headlights on 2016+ RX is actually LED. They are very bright. You can easily adjust/raise your headlights by locating a hole in the black plastic cover in your engine compartment and sliding a long screwdriver down the slit. It's labeled with U D with an arrow to show which way to turn (U for up and D for down). You are suppose to twist the same amount in the L R hole.
Old 01-02-17, 09:28 PM
toonchew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
The standard headlights on 2016+ RX is actually LED. They are very bright. You can easily adjust/raise your headlights by locating a hole in the black plastic cover in your engine compartment and sliding a long screwdriver down the slit. It's labeled with U D with an arrow to show which way to turn (U for up and D for down). You are suppose to twist the same amount in the L R hole.
I snapped a photo before I returned it. Didn't know these were LEDs
Old 01-03-17, 08:05 AM
batchelor
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I do not believe those are LED's but someone can certainly correct me if I am wrong.

Quick Reply: Triple LED headlights