NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

What else did you consider before NX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-16, 03:34 PM
hwitten
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What else did you consider before NX?

My take on the forum is that a lot of you are long time Lexus drivers and judging by the age poll most owners are a bit my junior

I will be a newcomer to Lexus and am wondering what else might have been considered by what I might call the retired group. Not dead, just at/near/beyond retirement age.

I currently drive a top trim '13 Santa Fe Sport (2.0 Turbo) and am actually quite happy with it.
I'm looking for a vehicle with today's tech and perhaps a bit more comfort/luxury, not because I need one but rather because I want one and can finally afford one.

I really like the XC90 (for the tech), but it is simply too big. Like the GLC, but don't like the run-flat tires and did not get a welcomed feel from a couple of MB dealers. Kinda like they'd really be doing me a favour selling me their vehicle.

Comfortable with Lincoln and Lexus dealer. We'll see where it goes.
Even heat at the moment: MKX/NX200t

Have owned GM, Dodge, Ford/Lincoln's over the years. Never a Toyota/Lexus.

Comparing forums during my research I am impressed that this forum seems to deal with fewer "problems", but that could be because I haven't dug far enough into the archives yet
Old 01-28-16, 04:29 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I seriously considered the Acura RDX because of the V6 and because it was generally well put together. It was also about $6-7k cheaper. But I had rather unpleasant past experience with that particular Acura dealer and excellent experience with the the Lexus dealer that I bought my previous 2 Lexus cars (IS 250 and RX 350). No regrets.
Old 01-28-16, 05:57 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by hwitten
Comfortable with Lincoln and Lexus dealer. We'll see where it goes.
Even heat at the moment: MKX/NX200t

Have owned GM, Dodge, Ford/Lincoln's over the years. Never a Toyota/Lexus.

Comparing forums during my research I am impressed that this forum seems to deal with fewer "problems", but that could be because I haven't dug far enough into the archives yet

The MKX is the softer quieter ride compared to the NX but if the MKC is any indication, the risk of first year issues will be high and JD Power reflects that. In contrast, the NX is tops and the very few issues in this forum reflect that which is why you're having a hard time finding any . The most major one is the infotainment lockup which has only affected a few people.

For more info on issues or any other topics surrounding the NX, see the FAQ: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...tart-here.html

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-28-16 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-28-16, 08:53 PM
skabei
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rVague
I seriously considered the Acura RDX because of the V6 and because it was generally well put together. It was also about $6-7k cheaper. But I had rather unpleasant past experience with that particular Acura dealer and excellent experience with the the Lexus dealer that I bought my previous 2 Lexus cars (IS 250 and RX 350). No regrets.
I very nearly bought the 2016 RDX w/ Tech. It has tremendous value (especially in Canada) with great tech, decent looks, great carrying space, and good power. I just couldn't get over the ugly wheels and the interior which is very noisy compared to the NX (lots of road noise).

In Ontario the average paid price for the 2015 NX with F-Sport1 is close to MSRP (according to unhaggled) so I never thought of getting the NX. Then I walked in when dealers were trying to clear their 2015 inventory and I was able to negotiate one down to invoice, plus they gave me a very fair trade-in value for my 2012 TL.

I still lurk Acurazine so please see my very very detailed comparison of the RDX vs NX.

If the RDX had better looking wheels and a slightly better interior OR if they simply gave it SH-AWD I would have gotten the RDX. The NX had the edge with the looks and the interior.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The MKX is the softer quieter ride compared to the NX but if the MKC is any indication, the risk of first year issues will be high and JD Power reflects that. In contrast, the NX is tops and the very few issues in this forum reflect that which is why you're having a hard time finding any . The most major one is the infotainment lockup which has only affected a few people.
When shopping for SUVs I looked at problems for each vehicle I was interested in. I found several common issues with every one of them including several TSBs for the RDX. However I didn't find anything that was "common" with the NX that seemed alarming to me. The NX also has a very good predicted reliability despite being in its very first iteration.

Also, if it matters to you, Lexus is known for having very good service at the dealerships. They're still dealerships so they'll still try to get your pennies, but they'll treat you well compared to other brands. I've definitely noticed this with Lexus dealerships.
Old 01-28-16, 10:21 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I test drove a Mercedes GLA, but thought it was 1) too small, 2) too low, 3) the nav screen looked to "mickey mouse" (almost like someone velcro'ed an iPad Mini to the dash).

I also looked at the BMW X1, but it was just as small and low as the GLA.
Old 01-28-16, 10:52 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I test drove a Mercedes GLA, but thought it was 1) too small, 2) too low, 3) the nav screen looked to "mickey mouse" (almost like someone velcro'ed an iPad Mini to the dash).

I also looked at the BMW X1, but it was just as small and low as the GLA.
Haha damn, I also drove the same cars as you!

But the NX is closer size to X3 and GLC (GLK) no? Saw a GLA today, it looked puny!

Also drove the Macan (too expensive) and Subaru XV and Mazda CX-5 (not in the same class).

Liked the Macan and NX the most.
Old 01-29-16, 05:04 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had it down the the NX, Audi Q5, Infiniti QX60 and the Prius V.

I've had a couple of Lexus(s) before this, so I sort of knew what to expect long term. I had sold my Audi earlier in the year, and traded my Infiniti in for the NX. The Prius was purely for the gas mileage, and LED headlights offered on the V. In the end, I decided not to punish myself with the Prius, however lol

The Q5 had the Pano roof that I want(ed) but was going to be too much, and I know the "joys" of fixing them once they grow slightly older. I really wanted the QX60 hybrid, but they only made it for one year. Not exactly a worry-free purchase there. So alas, I drove the NX and fell in love. I thought I was going to hate it when they first came out a year before, but it quickly grew on me.

I had thought for a second about the MKX a few months ago, but playing with Lincoln's build-your-own tool, I just couldn't justify the price jumps for adding things to the car the way I would want it. The MKX will have a much much lower residual/resale value compared to the NX. That's something else you may want to think about. I just built another one to see, and it was $57k. The only "things" the packages bring to it that the NX doesn't have, are 20" rims and the pano roof. A fully loaded NX is about $48-50k, tops.
Old 01-29-16, 06:03 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

I drove the Audi Q3, Lincoln MKC, MB GLA 250, Infinity EX and FX

GLA 250, did not like how it drove, did not feel like previous Mercedes I have owned, interior looked like something some kids at Best Buy hacked together.

Infinity, for some reason leasing was very expensive on their vehicles.

MXC I really liked. I drove the 2.3 AWD model. The push button transmission from the 1960's and the flat, unsupportive seats were the downside but the 280 hp AWD drivetrain was nice.

Audio Q3 was actually my first choice, but no vehicle was available with the options I wanted. 2105 production had ended and 2016 was a couple of months away.

The NX did not have the power of the Lincoln but with the F sport package had better seating for long trips. But after owning the NX for 8 months, I wish it had more power, was more responsive and some of the so called safety features are really annoying. Probably will not replace it with another Lexis next time around
Old 01-29-16, 06:09 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My 2015 NX F sport is a replacement for my 2014 Acura RDX that was totaled in an accident. Was looking very hard at the refreshed 2016 RDX Advanced. Great value considering what you get for the RDX Advanced. Honestly both are very good vehicles that have their pros and cons. In the end decided to get the NX since already had a RDX.
Old 01-29-16, 08:54 AM
jimp
Driver School Candidate

been retired for a long time. Drove a new ford company car every year for twenty years.it will take twenty years of spotless reliability before I would buy one! test drove bmw xi(to small,and no towing capability),x3 nice but everything including paint was extra! same with Mercedes cla(nice but small and seemed cheap and no towing),glk was old and ugly(this was over a year ago!) audi dealer was less than agreeable and had no q3 or q5 for me to test drive. Since I had been driving a rx330 for ten years with out problems and the nx was the right size and would tow my boat there was no hesitation to order one when the nx was introduced .no regrets after 1 year

Last edited by jimp; 01-29-16 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-16, 09:34 AM
skabei
Driver

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
My 2015 NX F sport is a replacement for my 2014 Acura RDX that was totaled in an accident. Was looking very hard at the refreshed 2016 RDX Advanced. Great value considering what you get for the RDX Advanced. Honestly both are very good vehicles that have their pros and cons. In the end decided to get the NX since already had a RDX.
How do you like the NX compared with the RDX? I'm very curious about this coming from someone who's had both.
Old 01-30-16, 03:55 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I loosely considered the RDX, X1, and X3, but once the NX was unveiled in China in April 2014, I put in my order and no regrets
Old 01-30-16, 05:06 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I considered the Mercedes SLA250. It was the closest to the NX category I could find. Ended up going with the NX because I liked the interior styling a lot more, and well as the looks of the Infotainment screen and it's placement.

Plus I felt like the NX ride was better and driving just felt more fun. Seems simple but they were really close.
Old 01-31-16, 05:21 AM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

For me, it was the Audi Q5 or the Porsche Macan. Actually had my heart set on the Macan, but my boss bought one and as it sometimes is in uber-conservative organizations, I was expected not be seen driving the same car as my boss, so yeah..scrapped.

Then I saw the NX Super Bowl ad and I was sold, loved the tail lights and the chic urban feel it had. 8 months down and no regrets.
Old 01-31-16, 06:45 AM
tsturbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to the NX, the RDX, X1, X3, RX and new MDX have/are being considered even though it will be at least 2 years until we might make a new purchase, our 2011 only has 18k miles and has been paid off for years.

I am just not 100% sold on 4cylinder turbos, yes they are fun to drive but city driving usually sucks (MPG's) because you have your foot in it trying to get power out of an I4, the raw power and growl of the 3.7 V6 in my current MDX puts a smile on my face!

Last edited by tsturbo; 01-31-16 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: What else did you consider before NX?