NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Power Liftgate questions/issues (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 11:49 PM
eyesonme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Liftgate questions/issues (Merged threads)

Hi all--

Does anybody know if there is some sort of obstacle detection for the power rear door/lift gate?

I.e. if there is something in the way will it not open or will it open anyway and cause damage to the tailgate?

I've read through the manual and cannot find an answer. Thanks!

Last edited by GS3Tek; 11-16-23 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 02:50 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eyesonme
Hi all--

Does anybody know if there is some sort of obstacle detection for the power rear door/lift gate?

I.e. if there is something in the way will it not open or will it open anyway and cause damage to the tailgate?

I've read through the manual and cannot find an answer. Thanks!
Watch the video at 8:04. Should answer your question.

Old 01-25-16, 03:33 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
Quite shocked by the video.
What if there's a small child standing near the rear hatch with the door descending. Does it act like a guillotine.
Surely there must be a safety trip at some pressure point?
Old 01-25-16, 04:06 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by miop4000
Quite shocked by the video.
What if there's a small child standing near the rear hatch with the door descending. Does it act like a guillotine.
Then the child will be chopped in half.

But seriously I was shocked too. I would have thought that they would have thought of that? This is not just Lexus, but they guy said that other brands also have this issue.

It's funny because such mechanisms exist. In the RC F (and other high end sports coupes) with electric seats will retract back forward if the seat is impending on the rear passengers knees.

Surely there must be a safety trip at some pressure point?
Anyone want to try?

Last edited by TeaAholic1; 01-25-16 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-25-16, 04:51 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Mine stops if something blocks the rear door. It takes a little more pressure then your arm in the way like in the video but I cannot see it injuring, let's say an 8 yr old child. I just wish it worked a lot faster, like a manually operated hatch that can be opened or closed in a couple of seconds. The NX takes 12 seconds from when you press the button to the hatch being fully open
Old 01-25-16, 05:04 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Page 125 of the '15 manual:
● When the power back door automatically opens, if an abnormality due to people or
objects is detected, operation will stop.

I tried it once and it did stop during a close. Also, pressing the door switch again stops it.
Old 01-25-16, 05:41 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr645
I just wish it worked a lot faster, like a manually operated hatch that can be opened or closed in a couple of seconds. The NX takes 12 seconds from when you press the button to the hatch being fully open
If you don't mind doing it manually, you know there is an option in the display in the instrument cluster to disable to powered tailgate and open it manually instead?
Old 01-25-16, 07:07 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
If you don't mind doing it manually, you know there is an option in the display in the instrument cluster to disable to powered tailgate and open it manually instead?
That is such a lie... Not from you, but from Lexus. I've tried it, and on mine when you turn off the power, you feel as if you're fighting the motor to open the hatch. Like if you pull up on it too hard you're going to break it. Anyone else have this experience?
Old 01-25-16, 07:09 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeW83
That is such a lie... Not from you, but from Lexus. I've tried it, and on mine when you turn off the power, you feel as if you're fighting the motor to open the hatch. Like if you pull up on it too hard you're going to break it. Anyone else have this experience?
I heard from other people too about this. I personally haven't tried it, but I will try that tomorrow and see what it feels like.
Old 01-25-16, 08:52 PM
eyesonme
Driver School Candidate

Ok, hypothetically if there is a garage door in the way. Would your door stop or would it hit the garage door (thereby damaging your car/garage) and then stop?

Originally Posted by Mr645
Mine stops if something blocks the rear door. It takes a little more pressure then your arm in the way like in the video but I cannot see it injuring, let's say an 8 yr old child. I just wish it worked a lot faster, like a manually operated hatch that can be opened or closed in a couple of seconds. The NX takes 12 seconds from when you press the button to the hatch being fully open
Old 01-25-16, 09:03 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eyesonme
Ok, hypothetically if there is a garage door in the way. Would your door stop or would it hit the garage door (thereby damaging your car/garage) and then stop?
It would hit the door. As you can see form the video, there is no sensor as it approaches an object, it only stops when there is enough force to stop it in its way.
Old 01-26-16, 04:39 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

There is a setting in the menu to set the height of the lift gate when it opens. Once set it won't go above that limit so it won't hit the garage door or ceiling.

And yea, you can turn off the power feature but it does not disengage the motors so opening and closing becomes difficult
Old 01-26-16, 08:05 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

it does require a good amount of force before it stops opening - way more than what I would expect. I had to set the opening to the middle value or else it will hit my garage door. I have to duck a little when putting things in the back.
Old 01-26-16, 10:59 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by typocl
it does require a good amount of force before it stops opening - way more than what I would expect. I had to set the opening to the middle value or else it will hit my garage door. I have to duck a little when putting things in the back.
I also have it set to open only to the next-to-highest opening because of my garage door. I just wish there was an override to open it fully when not at home. In other words, maybe press the button twice to ignore the height settings. The reason is that when I'm out and about, I used to bump my head on the not-opened-all-the-way hatch. (I'm used to it now, I know to duck a bit).

Having said that, you can push the hatch open all the way, if needed. I don't know if pushing it up is bad for the hatch motor or its related components, but it sure feels like I'm forcing something that shouldn't be forced.
Old 08-22-17, 09:05 PM
KccNsx
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Auto rear gate hydraulic/lift gate snapped out!

2016 nx200t Awd, non fsport

A few months ago when I opened my power trunk/liftgate, the driver side piston made a loud noise and snapped out of place making a dent and prevented the trunk to open all the way. I have to manually open the trunk all the way and place the piston back into its position where the ball bearing is. I'm not sure if you guys understand what I'm trying to describe.

So I decided to bring back to Lexus dealer and see if they can fix the problem or replace the lift support. When they were checking it out, everything was fine. They said they added some grease or oil, but nothing was replaced. Just last night I opened my trunk again, same **** happened again on the same side.

Do any of you encounter the same problem? I don't even open the trunk much. Is it because I adjusted the height level to its maximum? (Which is at 5 I think). Maybe i should lower the height level to prevent this from happening again? How can these trunk strut snaps out so easily on a Lexus?! I only owned the car about 14 months with the first time happening during my first year.

I will ill upload some pics when I have a chance.
thank you.

Quick Reply: Power Liftgate questions/issues (Merged threads)